bills need to sign Okoye

ARMchairgm

If this team is gonna spend money on a FA, it damn well be a very good pass rusher of the edge. When Wanny took over the D, like it or not, this team became a 4-3. Edwards, Carrington, Heard, Troup, and Johnson are all DTs in a 4-3, as are Williams and Dareus. The Bills aint carryong 7 DTs. And, they only have one 4-3 end on their roster. They need pass rushers on both edges... period. Whether one is a LB and the other a DE doesn't matter. Kelsay will be at one end and between the draft and FA, the Bills are gonna need at least 2 more 4-3 DEs (these will be speed guys in the 260-270 lb. range) and at least 2 or 3 4-3 OLBs (we're talking 225 - 240 lbs.). So, even if the Bills stayed 3-4 with 7 DL @ >300 lbs, how Okoye being about 295 lbs. and only having played DT and NT would make any sense, it's beyond me.

pass rushers up the middle are important as well. Edwards heard troup and johnson are all awful, Okoye would easily be our 3 best dt.

Shaun Ellis was 6'3 285 for the Jets in a 4-3 for years and was very solid. Even in a 4-3 the LE is often a bigger, stouter end. I believe Carrington could be that type of player: solid against the run but could provide 8-12 sacks per year now that he has some NFL experience.

Carrington is a DE in a 3-4, a 5 technique if you will. He's a DT in a 4-3. Even if he "slims down" to 285, he's still 20+ pounds heavier than a 4-3 DE. Short story, we have enough good DTs if in fact Wanny goes 4-3. We need some speed h DEs in the 260 range. Think Freeney.

I agree to a point, he is no RDE, but at 285 the left side might be a great fit for him. I would prefer him there over Kelsey when it comes to playing the run. Using him as an OLB still blows my mind.

Shaun Ellis was 6'3 285 for the Jets in a 4-3 for years and was very solid. Even in a 4-3 the LE is often a bigger, stouter end. I believe Carrington could be that type of player: solid against the run but could provide 8-12 sacks per year now that he has some NFL experience.

I think you are right though at LE he would probably get 4-5 sacks per year and I'd be happy.

I agree to a point, he is no RDE, but at 285 the left side might be a great fit for him. I would prefer him there over Kelsey when it comes to playing the run. Using him as an OLB still blows my mind.

Good point. I think Carrington does have it in him and maybe a LDE in a 4-3 is a fit. I would be concerned about lateral speed, but he's young and strong with long arms. Let's see.

I think the Bills could build a 4-3 dline much like Cincinnati who had 45 sacks but didn't have a player over 8 sacks. While Cincinnati doesn't have a star DE their DEs are large and pretty athletic and they platoon them and it wears down the Oline after a while.

platoon 1 Carrington, Williams, Dareus, Merriman

Platoon 2 Gilbert, Heard, Troup, Kelsay

other Bills: SPENCER JOHNSON, DWAN EDWARDS, Jay Ross, KYLE MOORE, LIONEL DOTSON

free agents:

DL:Big money and probably will be resigned - Mario Williams, Calais Campbell, Cliff Avril

moderate money and a chance- Jamaal Anderson,Jeremy Mincey,Dave Tollefson,Amobi Okoye

Draft: tier 1 Quinton Coples,Whitney Mercilus, Melvin Ingram, Nick Perry

tier 2 Andre Branch, Cam Johnson, Chandler Jones, Vinny Curry

make up your best 9 for the Bills

Carrington is a DE in a 3-4, a 5 technique if you will. He's a DT in a 4-3. Even if he "slims down" to 285, he's still 20+ pounds heavier than a 4-3 DE. Short story, we have enough good DTs if in fact Wanny goes 4-3. We need some speed h DEs in the 260 range. Think Freeney.

Yeah - this OP confuses me to heck. I guess the assumption is Williams returns to NT so Okoye is replacing Edwards??

We need to sign another DT??? Because Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus are the weak point of the team???

If we go 4-3, we have among the top DT combos in the league.

If we stay 3-4, we should get an actual NT so Williams and Dareus can both play DE.

We need 4-3 DE's or 3-4 OLB's.

Yeah - this OP confuses me to heck. I guess the assumption is Williams returns to NT so Okoye is replacing Edwards??

We need to sign another DT??? Because Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus are the weak point of the team???

If we go 4-3, we have among the top DT combos in the league.

If we stay 3-4, we should get an actual NT so Williams and Dareus can both play DE.

We need 4-3 DE's or 3-4 OLB's.

u high?

there is no depth behind them

You are thinking Tampa 2 scheme. That is so not what I would want as far as 4-3 schemes. The Bills and the lucky charms have been too small and easily pushed around since they started employing that scheme. The Bills leaving that scheme was the best thing for them as it failed to stop the run.

Carrington played DE in a 4-3 in college. Keep in mind that it's common for 4-3 teams to have bigger DEs like Carrington or Dwan Edwards who either move inside to DT or come off the field entirely on passing downs. (Good example: Justin Tuck) It's also common for all teams to have OLBs who are good pass rushers play DE in a 4-man line on passing downs.

As for Okoye, I dunno. He's still plenty young, but I feel like if he was going to break out anywhere, it would be in the Tampa-2 Under that Lovie Smith runs with the Bears. He seems like a natural fit for that Warren Sapp/Tommie Harris role.

If this team is gonna spend money on a FA, it damn well be a very good pass rusher of the edge. When Wanny took over the D, like it or not, this team became a 4-3. Edwards, Carrington, Heard, Troup, and Johnson are all DTs in a 4-3, as are Williams and Dareus. The Bills aint carryong 7 DTs. And, they only have one 4-3 end on their roster. They need pass rushers on both edges... period. Whether one is a LB and the other a DE doesn't matter. Kelsay will be at one end and between the draft and FA, the Bills are gonna need at least 2 more 4-3 DEs (these will be speed guys in the 260-270 lb. range) and at least 2 or 3 4-3 OLBs (we're talking 225 - 240 lbs.). So, even if the Bills stayed 3-4 with 7 DL @ >300 lbs, how Okoye being about 295 lbs. and only having played DT and NT would make any sense, it's beyond me.

Edwards and Carrington are 4-3 DE's not DT's.