Hypothetically... if Losman didnt go down

Do you think TD still signs Shane Matthews for a few weeks? This is surely and purely conjecture, but I think he does. Based solely on the fact that I believe TD and MM and the entire organization think we're going to the playoffs, and should be, and while they must love what they see in Losman so far, it would be very difficult for him to play in the first few games, as is, if Drew were to go down immediately. Unless they are SO enamored with 4-5 of these bubble guys that they cannot bear to lose them, which I sincerely doubt, I think he gets the veteran back-up for a few weeks until Travis is ready to go anyway.

Honestly, I don't think TD signs him.

Matthews coming here is more about lack of confidence in Zolman being #2.

Using this scenario,

I think TD banks on Drew being durable and not sucking this year.

Say Drew gets hurt. Losman finishes the game & Matthews is signed

the next Monday.

If Losman proves to be in way over his head, then you play Matthews.

Playing the caretaker role (ie lots of running), I don't think it takes

Matthews long to adapt, he's pretty intelligent & doesn't make too many stupid mistakes.

I disagree. I think that they would stick with Zolman. Whoever is the backup is just a band-aid for a few weeks, and they would just try to rely on Travis H. and Willis to carry the offensive load.

I wouldn't think so. For that matter, I thought it entirely plausible to go the 1st 3 wks w/ only Zolman as a BU.

Bledsoe has proven very durable throughout his career (knock wood); they're not likely to bench him for incompetence (at least that early in the season).

For that matter, some would argue that the only way, or at least the best way, for Losman to get better is to play.

If they thought that highly of Mathews relative to TB, they would have signed him weeks or months ago.

If they thought that highly of Mathews relative to TB, they would have signed him weeks or months ago.

12853[/snapback]

A fair point. But other than Kemp, Freguson, and Kelly, the Bills organization since 1960 hasn't shown much ability to judge QB talent. Trading Daryl Lamonica and James Harris - for shame. :angry:

A fair point. But other than Kemp, Freguson, and Kelly, the Bills organization since 1960 hasn't shown much ability to judge QB talent. Trading Daryl Lamonica and James Harris - for shame. :angry:

12893[/snapback]

stuck, I would agree with your point--our track record is very, very suspect...but I would add Frank Reich to your list of good ones---we had the best #1, #2 combo in the league when it was the Jim and Frank show. Reich didn't have striking physical talent but he was very, very smart.

If Losman stayed healthy then he would have been the backup to Drew. Zolman would be cut no matter in all cases. He probably would have been signed to the practice squad but now with 4 QBs on the roster they will use that PS spot for another position.