Travis Henry vs Fred Jackson

Billsrhody

I'm thinking back to when the Bills drafted McGahee in the first round in 2004. Travis Henry was a stud for the the three previous years, but when he went down and McGahee came in and had success, he was basically run out of town.

Now we have a very similar situation on our hands with Jackson and Spiller.

Obviously the front office is completely different but its hard to ignore the parallels. I think its very unlikely that Fred gets any significant money from this organization and that he'll most likely split time with Spiller from here on out and walk at the end of next year..

How are these similar situations again?

Of course, Fred isn't fathering an entire classroom of children and working out a plan to fund the operation by running cocaine. But otherwise, yeah, they are pretty much the same.

+1

I think Fred is only signed through 2012. He's is the heart and soul of the offense. he's doesn't do anything but provide positive drama free leadership. He said Nix would take care of him. We can hope. Fred doesn't seem like the type of player that needs a brinks truck to haul away a extension. He's 30 and knows his days are numbered. As for a trade, I just don't see anyone willing to give up what this board would seem fair. Now the Bills brain trust may have a different view. I don't see a trade. As for Choice? Come on. Although dime a dozen backs are the new NFL fad.

Fred seems to be a more complete ball player than Henry ever was with us. Really since Thurman no one has been as complete as Fred. Carrying the team with approx. 40% of the offense before his injury showed how capable he is. Chan probably could have driven up his workload to 60% and Fred would have not only embraced it, but produced it.

A guess would be if Fred comes back strong next year, he will still have that major chip on his shoulder that makes him so good. Losing this year to injury will make him have too prove himself yet again. Nothing new for him. The Bills will be committing suicide if he is not on that opening day roster.

Word up.

I dont know man......CJ is getting better and better with every game.

Your right in that I dont think he will ever be a short yardage back.....but blocking, running between the tackles, all of that is improving quickly.

Gailey has repeatedly said CJ is not a 30 handoff per game running back. The Bills would be wise to keep both and to figure out how to use them both.

I think most people are ignoring how good travis henry was (on the field).

2002: 1438 yds 13 td

2003: 1356 yds 10 td

Dont get me wrong, McGahee came in a ran it like a bat out of hell, but it took that to run Travis out of town.

Spiller has only had a few good games, but if he continues to run like he is, it will make Fred expendable.

CJ can be a great weapon. But hes not an everydown back who can run into the line.He gets squashed like a bug in traffic. Get him 15-20 touches per game w the play designed to get him a into space.Fred gets 15-20 touches as well handling both power runs and outside stuff.That would hopefully limit the amt of passing that Fitzy does-and give us increased time of pssession to give our D some rest.

Would be foolish to get rid of Fred.