Donte Whitner

This post is ridiculous man... Why's it called Donte Whitner? Are you telling me 8 people on the 49ers are going to the pro bowl cuz of Donte Whitner? Bills fans have "finally" lost their minds... I know we're fiending for a playoff berth but we gotta chill with this nonsense... Losing Donte didn't affect Buffalo Bills defense at all... It only affected twitter... That's it... Losing Poz and Donte and Lee Evans come on man... Love the uniform not the player... They're not with us anymore... F em' is what I say... Let's focus on what we DO have... If we actually lose productive players then I understand your arguments... Like if we release Barnett next year... Or Dareus or Fred Jackson or Spiller or Justin Rogers (right when he shows spark of being a returner for us) then I understand... Whitner was ok... He missed tackles... Poz was a beast in the 4-3 but couldn't transfer his skills to the 3-4 and I alwayz felt we were ok without Lee Evans and it turned out to be true... We have ALOT of work to do as far as holes being filled on our team so let's focus on who we DO have... Who we NEED to get... and who we NEED to keep... Those posts are wlcome... I'm tired of Donte man... Let the guy be...

Ummmmm Donte DIDN'T make the Pro Bowl by the way..........

Your first few lines say it all...

And to your last point, 8 49rs were selected to the pro bowl, Donte was not one of them. Yes Whitner is an alternate along with 8 MORE 49rs, including Blake Costanzo our former ST ace...Meaning if someone gets injured or otherwise pulls out of the pro-bowl, he would be in.

I do like Whitner's comments on Wilson though... I certainly can't hate the guy.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/28/whitner-feels-george-got-robbed/

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your logic is laughable here. You are saying that because the 9rs have a great coaching staff, and that staff brought in Whitner, that Whitner must be great? Wow that's a stretch. Belichick brought in Chad Johnson, that means he must be a pro bowler this year too right?

Besides, it's always funny when people use coaches and FO's interchangeably. The FO being primarily responsible for player acquisitions, and coaches responsible for COACHING. For instance the Bills were never seriously competing to keep Whitner (Obviously I was fine with this), they have long avoided keeping players by giving them large contracts. That has NOTHING to do with the Bills coaching staff.

My post wasn't complicated, it's not hard to understand. I watched most of the 9rs games this year, Whitner played just like he did for the Bills (poorly). The difference is the players around him are MUCH better, and the coaching staff has a great scheme. He is reaping the benefits of having the name recognition of a 1st round pick, and playing behind a group of players that are much better than himself. All just my opinion of course, made from watching the games.

Like I said before Wilson outplayed him when healthy...Few people have argued that. Not much about that post that's hard to understand. You are defending your thread that people didn't agree with. Don't take it personally, it happens, you are still welcome to your opinion. But you aren't going to force people to agree with you using twisted logic, and flipping out about real observations...

My logic is laughable?

You are using circadian logic. The 9ers are a team that knows how to build a good defense so they get in a bidding war with another smart defensive team over a crappy player? Meanwhile the clueless Bills let this horrible player walk?

You watched the 9ers games and Whitner stinks?

A: The 9ers won most of those games. Not last year when Whitner wasn't there.

B. Whitner plays SAFETY. On most plays you can't even see him until late. Are you watching the Ron Jaworski feed?

Is it possible that the 9ers got better by adding horrible players to their defense? Is it possible that the Bengals who are so good on defense thought they'd be even better if they added a crappy player?

But I think I will go with Occum's shaver on this and think most people are just jealous of Whitner being so successful after leaving the Bills. I think they should be mad at the Bills for not keeping him.

Your first few lines say it all...

And to your last point, 8 49rs were selected to the pro bowl, Donte was not one of them. Yes Whitner is an alternate along with 8 MORE 49rs, including Blake Costanzo our former ST ace...Meaning if someone gets injured or otherwise pulls out of the pro-bowl, he would be in.

I do like Whitner's comments on Wilson though... I certainly can't hate the guy.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/28/whitner-feels-george-got-robbed/

Donte has always played to the best of his abilities. he is a gamer. He is far from the last piece of the niners defensive puzzle. fact is they signed multiple safety's this year.

I think it was the last Monday night game the niners played. Berman was doing a fluff piece on the niners "D". Behind him on the set was a huge picture of a niners play. It looked like a goal line stand. You could see the pile and also see Donte high flying high and about too be the last player on the pile. Kind of how I will always remember his play.

My logic is laughable?

You are using circadian logic. The 9ers are a team that knows how to build a good defense so they get in a bidding war with another smart defensive team over a crappy player? Meanwhile the clueless Bills let this horrible player walk?

You watched the 9ers games and Whitner stinks?

A: The 9ers won most of those games. Not last year when Whitner wasn't there.

B. Whitner plays SAFETY. On most plays you can't even see him until late. Are you watching the Ron Jaworski feed?

Is it possible that the 9ers got better by adding horrible players to their defense? Is it possible that the Bengals who are so good on defense thought they'd be even better if they added a crappy player?

But I think I will go with Occum's shaver on this and think most people are just jealous of Whitner being so successful after leaving the Bills. I think they should be mad at the Bills for not keeping him.

You're welcome to your opinion...... But the logic that you are using to convince yourself, isn't always going to convince everyone else...I form my opinions on players by actually watching them play, not by which organization wins contracting battles.

You are right Whitner wasn't there last year...Neither was their HEAD COACH...

Wilson had a great year (far better than Donte IMO), good enough that even WHITNER thought GW was "robbed" of making the probowl. So I don't think the Bills were that "clueless" for replacing Whitner with Wilson...

I don't hate Whitner, I just think he's overrated. And I definitely think that Wilson is the better of the two.

I have no delusion that I can make you understand my POV, nor do I care. Lets just say we disagree.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You're welcome to your opinion... Whatever makes you happy... But the logic that you are using to convince yourself, isn't always going to convince everyone else...I form my opinions on players by actually watching them play, not by which organization wins contracting battles.

You are right Whitner wasn't there last year...Neither was their HEAD COACH...

You mean the head coach that signed Whitner as one of his very first moves?

You are also welcome to your opinion but your logic disagrees with the W/L record, Jim Harbaugh, the top defense in the AFC and the Pro Bowl selection committee. Maybe your TV is broken.

You mean the head coach that signed Whitner as one of his very first moves?

You are also welcome to your opinion but your logic disagrees with the W/L record, Jim Harbaugh, the top defense in the AFC and the Pro Bowl selection committee. Maybe your TV is broken.

Wow man, you are confused. Yes I know who Jim Harbaugh is, great coach. The fact that the 49'ers FO signed DW as a FA doesn't mean Donte Whitner is somehow the sole reason the 49ers are good this year.

Point and case, 8 49ers were selected to the pro bowl, NOT Whitner (alternate, along with 8 more 49ers). So according to you, it wasn't those 8 49ers but Whitner that is solely responsible for this teams success. My TV is not broken, I watched the games, you should try it sometime and base your opinions off of actual play.

You keep using the word logic, but I am not sure you know what it means. Reason and logic are not your strong points...

I wont even go into the roles that HC's, GM's, and the FO play in signing a player. That clearly would be a waste of time.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Donte...slightly above average safety...hard hitter-prone to take bad angles on runners in open field...zero ball skills...looks better with good cast around him to cover up his lack of ball skills. same old same old.

Exactly, perfect description. Someone who has obviously watched him play.

Wow man, you are confused. Yes I know who Jim Harbaugh is, great coach. The fact that the 49'ers FO signed DW as a FA doesn't mean Donte Whitner is somehow the sole reason the 49ers are good this year.

Point and case, 8 49ers were selected to the pro bowl, NOT Whitner (alternate, along with 8 more 49ers). So according to you, it wasn't those 8 49ers but Whitner that is solely responsible for this teams success. My TV is not broken, I watched the games, you should try it sometime and base your opinions off of actual play.

You keep using the word logic, but I am not sure you know what it means. Reason and logic are not your strong points...

I wont even go into the roles that HC's, GM's, and the FO play in signing a player. That clearly would be a waste of time.

The bye week called and it said Donte can be reached there soon.

If I were to accept your post I would conclude that:

All 16 non-Whitner pro bowlers from the 9ers are new players for whom the 9ers were in a bidding war

and

Harbaugh is a puppet....and a genius......and a puppet.

and

The Bengals are stupid when it comes to defense

and

Coaches of good defensive teams are always swimming upstream against bad front offices.

And the proof of all of this is that you watch a lot of TV. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Okay, help me out here. Are we stupid now for letting Donte go or stupid for drafting him and not resigning him?

PTR

LOL, I guess both. But I still think Wilson and Byrd are better than Whitner. If they had a strong front 7 in front of them, both our safeties would be pro bowlers

All 16 non-Whitner pro bowlers from the 9ers are new players for whom the 9ers were in a bidding war

and

and

and

Coaches of good defensive teams are always swimming upstream against bad front offices.

And the proof of all of this is that you watch a lot of TV. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You have an interesting thought process

But seriously, we are all Bills fans here I think. For the sake of everyone else that reads this thread lets simplify this...

You are a Whitner fan, I can understand that. Certainly the 49rs have been good with him there.

As for my opinion I will just say this. George Wilson has been amazing for us as a starter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Ok for the sake of everyone else that reads this thread lets simplify this...We are all Bills fans here

You are a Whitner fan, I can understand that. Certainly the 49rs have been good with him there.

As for my opinion I will just say this. George Wilson has been amazing for us as a starter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am a Bills fan.

I couldn't care less about Whitner himself.

He is just an example of how Bills management and fans justify horrible moves. Saying that you watch him on TV does not make him a bad player.

We need to keep our good players to win. Whitner is gone but Freddie, Stevie and Leodis are still here. Let's not lose them.

I am a Bills fan.

He is just an example of how Bills management and fans justify horrible moves. Saying that you watch him on TV does not make him a bad player.

We need to keep our good players to win. Whitner is gone but Freddie, Stevie and Leodis are still here. Let's not lose them.

(sigh)

I never questioned that you were a Bills fan. I was saying that we have common ground.

I never said that "watching Whitner on TV makes him bad". My opinion is that Whitner is overrated, based on watching him play football. This is opinion, not fact. You feel differently, I fully understand your opinion.

The Bills do often let good players go, but in this case the Bills have George Wilson who played tremendous football at SS. I fully agree with you that we need to keep Freddie and Stevie.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

and

and

and

I don't understand your argument about this so-called bidding war over Donte by the Bengals and the 49ers.

People are odd.

I started a thread pointing out how Whitner had turned around the 9ers and people came up with all sorts of crazy comments. Unless you have a thick skin you may want to take down this thread and/or find my old thread and put it there so the negativity isn't all focused on you.

That's because your thread on that subject is absurd. Donte Whitner is not the one player that has turned the 49'ers fortunes around.

Perhaps you have not heard of a player named Aldon Smith? In his rookie year he has amassed 14 sacks. He is one sack away from breaking Javon Kearse's record breaking sack total for a rookie.

What about the dominating performance by Patrick Willis, or the play of Carlos Rogers or Ahmad Brooks?

Are you saying that Whitner has done more for the 49'ers defense than these other players?

I haven't even mentioned the offensive play of Frank Gore.

I guess these facts I have given you are just more crazy comments.

If anyone is crazy on this board it's you.

I don't understand your argument about this so-called bidding war over Donte by the Bengals and the 49ers.

this is not my argument. But the correct answer to the question of if the Niners and Bungles had a bidding war is. NO.

After sitting for awhile with no suitors,Donte had agreed in principle with the Bungles, then the niners called. he went there instead, without a war. Funny thing though

about that time Donte was lobbying to come back to the Bills. They had pulled their very fair offer. In the end, Donte signed a contract

with the niners, purportedly worth millions less than the bills originally offered. The rest is history, since the Bills saw

that their converted UDFA receiver was a better fit at safety than Donte. The guy plays with heart. Although calling him a pro bowler

(alternate) for this year at least, is like saying you came in second in a game of horseshoes.

this is not my argument. But the correct answer to the question of if the Niners and Bungles had a bidding war is. NO.

After sitting for awhile with no suitors,Donte had agreed in principle with the Bungles, then the niners called. he went there instead, without a war. Funny thing though

about that time Donte was lobbying to come back to the Bills. They had pulled their very fair offer. In the end, Donte signed a contract

with the niners, purportedly worth millions less than the bills originally offered. The rest is history, since the Bills saw

that their converted UDFA receiver was a better fit at safety than Donte. The guy plays with heart. Although calling him a pro bowler

(alternate) for this year at least, is like saying you came in second in a game of horseshoes.

Nice version.

The reality is that both the bye week bound defensively oriented 9ers and the possibly playoff bound defensively oriented Bengals wanted Whitner while the defensively challenged Bills thought they would be fine without a guy of his caliber. At least they will be able to watch him in the playoffs.

Look, I like Wilson too but the bottom line is that we have to stop hating on elite players like Whitner just because they left. If we ever get better I promise that the team will include several elite players like the 9ers have. We have Dareus. I am high on Aaron Williams and to a degree Byrd. If boo boo foot ever gets his work ethic back maybe we have a core to build upon. Still we need to ADD elite players, not SHED them.

Nice version.

The reality is that both the bye week bound defensively oriented 9ers and the possibly playoff bound defensively oriented Bengals wanted Whitner while the defensively challenged Bills thought they would be fine without a guy of his caliber. At least they will be able to watch him in the playoffs.

Look, I like Wilson too but the bottom line is that we have to stop hating on elite players like Whitner just because they left. If we ever get better I promise that the team will include several elite players like the 9ers have. We have Dareus. I am high on Aaron Williams and to a degree Byrd. If boo boo foot ever gets his work ethic back maybe we have a core to build upon. Still we need to ADD elite players, not SHED them.

Your comments on current players are spot on. Donte always wanted and is a high profile player. Thats his persona, he's not elite, never will be. But your right about shedding players. I cannot believe for a second they will let Johnson walk. I think Johnson is again another player that doesn't shy away from publicity, sometimes for the wrong reasons. He shouldn't have made this a public issue. He needs to be a leader, when he signs no more clown acts.That could be an issue with negotiations. It should have be done quietly behind closed doors. The Bills must get this done. Unless they plan on getting the best #1 free agent receiver out there.Then draft another.

I don't know about that. I always see Wilson flying around and making big tackles on running plays.

Whitner, if I recall, would just get pancaked by RB's, or make tackles 10 yards down field.

I'm not willing to give Whitner any advantage over Wilson. Wilson has made more plays this season than Whitner has in his entire career.

AMEN!

I am a Bills fan.