interesting potential

robert cohen

Half dozen QBs since when? Come on, nobody is going to play with Brady healthy. All I know is that the drafted Cassel, developed him, won 11 games with him, and traded him for a second rounder. The Pats* made out great on the Cassel deal. Never said I would trade for any Pats QB?

Your seem to have no point. Why are you hating on Mallet?

The point of this thread by the OP was to consider trading for Mallett next year. I said there's no reason to think he'll be anything at all considering the Pats have only hit on one QB out of 8 or 9 since Belichick became their HC, and he and the other guy who had moderate success (Cassel, who probably won't be a starter much longer) were throwaway picks at the end of the draft, when teams are throwing darts at their boards. Not to mention he's done nothing in the NFL to date and would need to see extended time, like Cassel got. It has little to do with hate.

The point of this thread by the OP was to consider trading for Mallett next year. I said there's no reason to think he'll be anything at all considering the Pats have only hit on one QB out of 8 or 9 since Belichick became their HC, and he and the other guy who had moderate success (Cassel, who probably won't be a starter much longer) were throwaway picks at the end of the draft, when teams are throwing darts at their boards. Not to mention he's done nothing in the NFL to date and would need to see extended time, like Cassel got. It has little to do with hate.

Mallett is said to be a top 5 talent with a 10 cent head. There were substance rumors, etc. Without this, he could have been a top 5 pick. He makes throws that only a couple of people on earth can make.

If he gets traded, it will be because he is acting out, and Bellichick is not going to put up with bad behavior. He doesn't have to. I was all about drafting him last season but unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

While I agree with what you're saying about the Bills, if the Pats, who have Brady, took Mallett, why should the Packers shy away from him, if they think he'll be good? The point I was making is no one liked him enough to take him where top prospects are taken, i.e. 1st round/beginning of 2nd round. Moreover the kid has done nothing in the NFL for even warranting trading any pick for him.

First of all, the reason Mallett dropped out of the 1st round had nothing to do with his football skills, dedication, or football IQ. Many have said Mallett was the best or 2nd best QB in last years draft. He dropped due to allegations of off the field issues. The Patriots saw good value and made the pick. Mallett has had no issues this year. Mallet may have "done nothing" in the NFL but he has done as much in the NFL as Luck to this point and you'd have no problem trading up to get Luck.

As far as the Patriots not developing other starting QB's (other than free agent turned into 2nd round pick Cassell), over the years they havent been drafting for a starting Qb. Obviously, you're not going to waste a high pick on someone who likely will never play, They drafted potential backkups and signed veterans to hold a clipboard. Only in the past 2 years have they been spending resources (e.g. scouting and bringing potential draftees in for interviews)looking for a down-the-road backup with the potential to develop into a starting QB.

yea,like the pats are going to trade a QB that was groomed by brady to a division rival.good luck,maybe they'll throw in vince wolfork

maybr u dont remember them trading a PRO BOWL QB in bledsoe to a division rival.. im not saying this is gonna happen, but they clearly drafted mallett to groom him and trade him..

when i started this post, i did not do thinking this is what the BILLS would do even though it would do a great situation cuz WE HAVE TRADED for a QB with them b4... Mallett had 1st round "stuff" his main issue coming into the draft was his mental game... the pats had little to do with grooming him, hes not cassel or hoyer or any of the guys they have had behind brady b4... those guys did not have the raw talent Mallett had. they drafted him with a late 3rd... i 100% think they drafted him, to trade him cuz one thing pats are good at doing, is shutting loud mouths up and cleaning up their image.. that was mallett's problem, not TALENT.. Mallett was an SEC QB, not a big 12 or pac 10 guy playing soft D's week in week out... he had the leadership skills but lacked the polish and the ability to brush off a bad play in Arkansas... being in an environment watching the ultimate pro and competitor in brady HAS to help.. we will have a high 3rd and think he will be traded no matter what this offseason.. i dont think it would take more than a high 3rd (which we had) and maybe a 4th or 5th or a solid vet on D but they are just beyond awful of D.. if Nix wanted him, i dont think it would be a big obstacle to get him and hes 1 yr ahead of all the kids coming out this yr and talent wise i would rank him 3rd over landry jones and hes had a yr in pros already which is a HUGE thing...

like i said, I DONT EXPECT this to occur, but like i said in the title of this post its INTERESTING POTENTIAL..

I don't see it happening ! Either the Pats trading Mallet to us (unless of coarse they really wanted another draft pick & we were really able to pay the price) or the Bills being willing or able to give up enough to go & get him from the Pats...

Buddy would rather get a QB in the late rounds & have Fitz work with him & said he is going to build through the draft . Plus New England isn't going to give Mallet away with out a kings ransom like they did with the guy that KC got from them ?? Sorry brain fart ?? Can't remember his name :blink: ??

But the Nix/Wailey/Gailey team will do what is best for our team i for one have faith in what they have done to this point unlike some of the Bills fans !!

I liked Ryan Nassib in the 7th round or UDFA but then Syracuse just completely collapsed and he fell appart. He has a Huge arm and great size but I just don't know if he will be good enough for the NFL with the intangables. Might be a good developmental squad prospect IDK.

Edited by Lenigmusx

First of all, the reason Mallett dropped out of the 1st round had nothing to do with his football skills, dedication, or football IQ. Many have said Mallett was the best or 2nd best QB in last years draft. He dropped due to allegations of off the field issues. The Patriots saw good value and made the pick. Mallett has had no issues this year. Mallet may have "done nothing" in the NFL but he has done as much in the NFL as Luck to this point and you'd have no problem trading up to get Luck.

There was more than just allegations of off-field issues. Hell the Raiders love guys like that, and didn't touch him.

As far as the Patriots not developing other starting QB's (other than free agent turned into 2nd round pick Cassell), over the years they havent been drafting for a starting Qb. Obviously, you're not going to waste a high pick on someone who likely will never play, They drafted potential backkups and signed veterans to hold a clipboard. Only in the past 2 years have they been spending resources (e.g. scouting and bringing potential draftees in for interviews)looking for a down-the-road backup with the potential to develop into a starting QB.

If the Pats are now intent on developing a starting QB, why haven't they given Mallett some snaps, ANY snaps, this season in any of their blowout games? Are they waiting for Brady to miss most of the season again? Sorry, doesn't wash. The Pats have always coveted draft picks, so they've always been trying to develop QB's to at least dangle as trade bait.

after a yr of learning under brady.. the kid had ALL the physical tools to be a stud and i loved him in college.. very competitive and pats certainly drafted him to trade him.. dont think bills will go after him but i like him better than landry jones and any QB this yr outside of luck and RG3 and he had a yr to learn behind brady and talent was never his problem.. immaturity was his biggest problem and pats are the ultimate team to take boys and turn them into men..

just an intersting thought cuz we arent getting luck nor RG3.

I respect your willingness to be creative in order to solve our problems, but I really am tired of the Bills leaning on other organizations programs to find and develop players - I want the Bills to be able to find the jewels, and develop them; and I know they do, sometimes - but, we simply won't get to where we want to go until we are capable of

1.) Knowing our Identity as to which systems we want to run, how we want to look as a team

2.) are capable of identifying college prospects all through the draft and UDFA, select the right players

3.) coach them up, make players of them, and

4.) keep them on when they start to shine

It is a matter of debate as to whether we've begun this process with Nix. Certainly, if we have, over these past two drafts, the keystone players we've drafted or picked up would be - IMO - Dareus, Carrington, Sheppard, Searcy, Williams, J. Rogers (I think he'll be a good CB), Nelson, Easley, Spiller, Ubrik, Hairston, and Chandler.

Not too bad, really. The biggest criticism is the lack of DE, OLB, QB - and high round LT, what would normally be considered the most critical positions. But, has Nix passed on really great prospects at those positions? I don't think, glaringly, he has. Now, I know Green Bay employs this model, and it took them some 5 years or so to really put it all together - but, we need the pressure guys on defense, and we absolutely need a QB to begin developing. Both of those positions need be added, and we need the players to be solid, for Nix to have been successful after next season, I think. Will there be a QB in the draft - if there isn't one to be had in this draft, then we need better evaluators, because I suspect there will be at least 4 good NFL QB's to emerge out of this draft.

man is that the truth. problem is Thigpen 1-12 lifetime starter is part of the Gailey/Nix old cronies club. Isn't he making something like 3 million a year?

Surely there are better prospects at that price.Somehow this fits the theory of the Bills do spend money they just don't do it wisely (see Brad Smith).

Ain't this the truth.

The "Chix and Nailey Crony Club" is, frankly, an emerging theme that perhaps troubles me more about the Bills chances of making progress than anything else.

I think it was reasonably obvious that Merriman was a serious Dark Horse to return to form. He was a Nix draft choice, wasn't he? That he was signed with no Plan B for a pass rush, troubles me deeply.

Then there's Choice, who is getting puzzling opportunities over guys who have been on the roster and seem to deserve a look (more Spiller? Johnny White? McIntyre?).

Then there's Thiggy - is there anyone (besides perhaps Chan) who feels good about him replacing Fitz?

Then there's Gif whatshisname and all the other Gailey cronies as assistant coaching on this perennially out-of-position, underprepared D.

I'd like to feel a greater comfort level that we're evaluating players more objectively based upon talent and coaches more objectively upon results, and not upon whether when and how they previously knew our coach or GM

And...we MUST re-sign our quality contributors! Bell, Jackson, Stevie - they all need to be re-signed

Edited by Hopeful

Ain't this the truth.

The "Chix and Nailey Crony Club" is, frankly, an emerging theme that perhaps troubles me more about the Bills chances of making progress than anything else.

I think it was reasonably obvious that Merriman was a serious Dark Horse to return to form. He was a Nix draft choice, wasn't he? That he was signed with no Plan B for a pass rush, troubles me deeply.

Then there's Choice, who is getting puzzling opportunities over guys who have been on the roster and seem to deserve a look (more Spiller? Johnny White? McIntyre?).

Then there's Thiggy - is there anyone (besides perhaps Chan) who feels good about him replacing Fitz?

Then there's Gif whatshisname and all the other Gailey cronies as assistant coaching on this perennially out-of-position, underprepared D.

I'd like to feel a greater comfort level that we're evaluating players more objectively based upon talent and coaches more objectively upon results, and not upon whether when and how they previously knew our coach or GM

And...we MUST re-sign our quality contributors! Bell, Jackson, Stevie - they all need to be re-signed

Hopeful you are right on the money, as usual. I could not have said this any better. The cronies as coaches and old favorites as players who end up getting preferential treatment are undermining the development of many of the guys who seem like they have more potential and are deserving of significant playing time. Dumping Levi Brown in favor of Thigpen is one of the most frustrating moves that Chan has made. Levi Brown may or may not have had the ability to be a great QB, but he was at least as good as Thigpen (actually, I think he looked much better against the scrubs in the second halfs of some preseason games). I assume that move was done strictly because Chan felt that he wouldn't have to explain his system to Thigpen, but I feel they dodged a bullet by never having to put Thigpen in when the game actually meant something.