RB SITUATION

robert cohen

Spiller is the future and the future is now.

This team should fire Nix and Gailey, do whatever it takes to get into position to draft RG III (2012's 1st, 2nd + 2013 1st, 2nd), then trade Fred Jackson for a 2012 2nd which should be easy to do.

Make Whaley the GM and have him hire a new head coach. Perhaps Brian Billick?

This team needs a drastic change in direction. They have some really good pieces in place, but prolonging this kind of change will only set this team back another 2 or more years.

Wow are you serious? Let me get this straight. You want the Bills to trade the two first draft picks they have for the next two drafts for an unproven qb and leave the defense and receiving corps the way it is? Then on top of that you want the bills to trade their best player away to get back one of those 2nd rd picks you just want to give away Unbelievable. RG3 might MIGHT become a good qb but he is not luck and therefore not worth ruining our next two drafts for when we have SO MANY other needs right now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Jackson won't be cool playing second fiddle to Spiller and this team needs to draft a QB making Jackson too old when they are good enough to compete.

We'd be good enough to compete now (to the Scarecrow tune in the Wizard of Oz) if we only had a defense.

Dumping Fred now would be idiotic. He's our best guy. This is just a continuation of the perpetual rebuilding mode that so many on here love so much.

The Seahawks went to the Super Bowl on the back of a guy Fred's age with similar production.

It doesn't matter how well CJ performs for this team, there are waaaay too many people just wanting the kid to be a bust around here. I am not one of them. The argument is that he was a luxury pick, which I still find laughable, since we have SO MANY play makers and depth on this team. He can be an every down back, but for some reason people love to make blind assumptions that he can't be. Look at his physical stats, he's bigger and taller than Reggie Bush, He's taller than Thurman was, and weighs within 6lbs of the guy, but yeah, he can't play every down. Give me a break. He and Freddie are the 2 most talented guys on the team, and past Steve Johnson, there is nothing. I hope he stays a Bill, because if the front office runs this guy out of town, you can expect the franchise to unravel exponentially.

"He can be a every down back" Funny the team that drafted him doesn't believe that. To prove my point why did Choice get so many touches yesterday? Chan said he didn't want to overload CJ or words to that effect. That's a pretty telling tale on what his own team thinks. Since Fred went down they have failed to capitalize on CJ's skills. Maybe it's O-Line related but Even with that It's becoming obvious the kid has a place not only on this team but in the league.

personally I would have run him all day yesterday. I think CJ would have been on board with that. The head coach sucks and still thinks he's coaching at the college level.

To prove that I give you the vaunted gailey spread offense. Filled with players that should not even be there. If there are any nuances not yet figured out by the league's dc coordinators. You can bet your bippy they will know on kickoff day 2012. A limp armed quarterback is suited for the spread. My question to Chan. What's next?

Fred deserves some respect. Mainly in the pocket book. If he never plays another down, before his injury this year he was the epitome of putting team first, and to hear he believes his family even comes before that. What can you say. he is a class act. A man with tangibles rarely seen in this age of sports. He is probably better than he ever imagined career wise, going back to his humble start. Best NFL story since Kurt Warner. A man who has no need to showboat, his work does the talking, Fred you the man!!!!!!!!!!! Personally, even though his body of work is small here. He is one of my all time favorite Bills.

Off topuc is "bippy" even a word?

I knew this thread would be ridiculous from the subtitle, I just didn't realize how many people would actually agree with the OP. Letting Freddie go would be monumentally stupid. The last thing we need to do is make our team even younger, and less talented to boot.

"He can be a every down back" Funny the team that drafted him doesn't believe that. To prove my point why did Choice get so many touches yesterday? Chan said he didn't want to overload CJ or words to that effect. That's a pretty telling tale on what his own team thinks. Since Fred went down they have failed to capitalize on CJ's skills. Maybe it's O-Line related but Even with that It's becoming obvious the kid has a place not only on this team but in the league.

personally I would have run him all day yesterday. I think CJ would have been on board with that. The head coach sucks and still thinks he's coaching at the college level.

To prove that I give you the vaunted gailey spread offense. Filled with players that should not even be there. If there are any nuances not yet figured out by the league's dc coordinators. You can bet your bippy they will know on kickoff day 2012. A limp armed quarterback is suited for the spread. My question to Chan. What's next?

Fred deserves some respect. Mainly in the pocket book. If he never plays another down, before his injury this year he was the epitome of putting team first, and to hear he believes his family even comes before that. What can you say. he is a class act. A man with tangibles rarely seen in this age of sports. He is probably better than he ever imagined career wise, going back to his humble start. Best NFL story since Kurt Warner. A man who has no need to showboat, his work does the talking, Fred you the man!!!!!!!!!!! Personally, even though his body of work is small here. He is one of my all time favorite Bills.

Off topuc is "bippy" even a word?

Completely agree. Freddy is the man and a leader and a role model also. Not to mention he was a legit MVP candidate before he got hurt.

For all u guys that dont think freddy is gonna want 8-10 mil a yr , ur nuts.. no way in hell is he gonna accept less.. this is his last chance at a big contract and a football career is short and this is what hes gonna have to live off of the rest of his life. he will refuse to be a part time back and split carries now that spiller has shown he is capable and deserving of alot of touches. Freddy is sick of being the other guy which he has done his whole career. he wants to be THE GUY and rightfully so.. We would be nuts to pay him big bucks when we could easily get alot for him..

He might want that, but not only is he still under contract for much less, on top of that the market will not give him 8-10M/year due to his age. What he should (and probably will) want the most, is substantial guaranteed money so that he can take care of his family after football. With the right amount of guaranteed money and a 3 year contract he can be signed for much less than $8M/year I would suspect. Anything non-guaranteed, he will probably never see beyond 2012 or 2013... so the guarantee is probably the determining factor.

Having said that if the Bills are offered an attractive trade I expect they will take it. I hope they do not, but they probably would. If they are not offered a good trade I think they will get the deal done if for no other reason than they have a lot of leverage.

well, we have many issues.

but this quote from early on in the dialogue resounds for me.

" Give FJ an extension, make sure Spiller gets 10-15 touches per, scrap this spread BS offense and become a run heavy team. "

sure its not gonna happen, but might we be better served till we get recievers and Fitz allows his new meds to take hold, to develop a run game.

Heck we have Corey and then Fred and CJ and the Choice. We have some nice Tight ends in Smith and Caussin to block.

Maybe we should get a run game on?

well, we have many issues.

but this quote from early on in the dialogue resounds for me.

" Give FJ an extension, make sure Spiller gets 10-15 touches per, scrap this spread BS offense and become a run heavy team. "

sure its not gonna happen, but might we be better served till we get recievers and Fitz allows his new meds to take hold, to develop a run game.

Heck we have Corey and then Fred and CJ and the Choice. We have some nice Tight ends in Smith and Caussin to block.

Maybe we should get a run game on?

it doesnt matter.. its not gonna happen.. everyone loves to talk about things that will not occur.. its time for ppl to be realistic.. its not chan's style to do that and chan will be back next yr.. we dont need 2 stud RB's for his style of offense. maybe if jaurons days it could be a great combo but not with this offense..

Robert Cohen i am not sure about Chan willing to changeup his Offensive style. He looks like will carry a great burden of failure this offseason.

He has lost the team to some degree and that is the worst thing a coach might go through i imagine.

I cannot see us being the same offense in players or style next year. Actually i dont think anyone on the staff or team can accept this slide and not react dramatically. we are just gut checking players till the end. i suppose its anyones guess at who will be here beginning of the next season. a shame for what seemed like so much long term hope when we started this year out.

ive been thinking this ever since he went down... FINALLY spiller will get his chance as a full time RB... spiller has been VERY solid.. hes growing every week and knowing how frugal we are, paying a 30 yr old RB 8-10 mil a yr when we are not a contender would be a total waste when we have a guy that THIS regime drafted in the top 10... that money we would spend on freddy needs to go to stevie and another WR.. how many good yrs does freddy have left? especially after coming off a season ending leg injury. i'd be less comcerned if it were a shoulder but its his leg... Ppl will say, he doesnt have the milleage that other RB's his age have been i beg to differ.. its not like he wasnt playing... he played all over the world and had to work HARDER just to get a shot in the nfl... i know he wasnt getting hit by NFL caliber players but he was still getting hit as often... i would hat to lose him, but Spiller was gailey and nix 1st round pick and is showing he is more talented than freddy....

Gotta stop you right there, chief. Put the crack-pipe down and step away from it before you really hurt somebody.

NO WAY does CJ have one-quarter of the talent Freddy has developed over the years. CJ can't catch to save his life, and forget about running between the tackles. Simply put, CJ is bait for dumb GM's. -I'm all for Chan making him look as good as possible, so we can trade him for an actual football player. As far as I'm concerned, the guy is teats on a bull.

Sorry, but there's no way you can defend Chan Gailey on this.

Oh, what the hay, let me try.

Spiller says he can carry the ball 25 times. He did it before (in college). They play 10 games a year in college. They play 16 games in the pros. Spiller ran mostly outside in college. A running back must run between the tackles in the pros. Spiller did not know how to do this last year because he rarely did it in college. That is why it has taken him so long to show his talent to Bills' fans. In college, he usually looked between the tackles, saw nothing that was wide open, then took it outside. That was his college MO. He had to learn patience; how to let his blocking develope before making his move. Now, having developed the know how and having to run between the tackles, his body, at 200 lbs., will take a beating. Gailey does not want to destroy this young talent through over use so he is judicious in the way he uses Spiller. I support him completely

(How'd I do?) :rolleyes: