Does Gronk make Troup the worst Bills 2nd rounder

Mr. WEO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, when they picked Troup, Nix said the "draft experts" felt other NTs were ranked higher, but he trusted his own scouting reports. The 2010 draft class was a disaster, and Modrak was let go the following year. Wonder if this Troup pick played into the decision to dump Modrak?

I clearly remember every talking head during the draft saying that most teams had Troupe rated in the 3-4 rd. But then again, the Bills are always smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Was this before or after they said Clausen was a surefire first round pick? The fact is that nobody has any idea where Troup would have gone had the Bills not picked him.

Proof?

Was this before or after they said Clausen was a surefire first round pick? The fact is that nobody has any idea where Troup would have gone had the Bills not picked him.

Many had Cody and Joseph rated higher than Troup and both of those NTs went after him.

I'm betting the Buddy and Chan watched him in the East-West Shrine game and made their minds up right there. That was it--they were in love.

Edited by Mr. WEO

There were a lot of people that weren't thrilled when we drafted Troup. But only 1-2 people mentioned Gronk.

Most of the people who didn't like the pick were talking about Terrence Cody, Sergio Kindle and Jimmy Clausen, if I remember correctly.

Although it wasn't on here, I was at a concert in Buffalo that night if I recall correctly, sign me up in the group talking about Clausen. And Gronkowski. But not Cody. Thought he was too large to succeed

Edited by JM57

Well there you go.

A thread created right after Troup was drafted… 15 pages.

Was there anyone else besides you who mentioned Gronkowski?

I only went through about 6 pages.

Well, it really doesn't matter who on this board wanted Troup or Gronk. The point is that the FO made the decision with full knowledge afforded them. That is the topic of discussion.

No. Conventional wisdom says 3 years to assess a player. It isn't really logical to do it before then. Unless, of course, you suck as bad as Maybin or Williams.

Or McCargo? Flowers? JP Losman? Really needed 3 seasons to be certain about those guys too? Gronkowski--you need another year to call that one too?

If the draft was today and I didn't know what i know now I would have drafted Troup 100 times over. If the Bils would have drafted a TE over a DT in the early rounds we would have been pissed.

When are people going to get over Gronkowski. We could have picked him but didn't. If we had picked him do you think he would have become what he is now with the Bills?

You mean besides James Hardy?

I'm willing to bet 99% of the posters here had never heard of Gronk last draft. Its pretty easy now to say we should have drafted him. If we knew then what we know now, we would have used our 1st rounder on him.

Hardy ended up being a bust, but so did all of the other hyped up WR's in that draft (Thomas, Kelly, Sweed,...). He was projected to go in the 1st, the Bills got him in the 2nd. At least they didn't reach for him.

Troup had no business being drafted where he was drafted. He is absolutely awful, even before the injuries. He plays with no leverage, and is worse at fighting off blocks than Aaron Maybin. He doesn't seem to have a strong motor, and doesn't show ANY signs that he could improve. This guy is bad.

If the draft was today and I didn't know what i know now I would have drafted Troup 100 times over. If the Bils would have drafted a TE over a DT in the early rounds we would have been pissed.

When are people going to get over Gronkowski. We could have picked him but didn't. If we had picked him do you think he would have become what he is now with the Bills?

Wait what? Knowing that Troup has been a complete and utter bust his first 2 years, you would still Draft him anyway? Over the NFL record setter for TD's in a season? Troup was a gigantic reach in the 2nd round, turned out he probably wouldn't have been worth a 7th rounder. Thank god you are not our GM...

I will agree with you on Gronkowski though. He may or may not be great, but with Brady and their offensive system every tight end that goes through there is "great". If he goes to the Bills in that draft, he could very well be just another no name tight end... Still, I would gladly take him, or any other successful player over Troup.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

No. Conventional wisdom says 3 years to assess a player. It isn't really logical to do it before then. Unless, of course, you suck as bad as Maybin or Williams.

Sorry man, thoughts like this are a little ridiculous to me. Maybe this is true for a QB, but all other positions should be producing good results in their 2nd year. Hopefully contributing and showing promise as a rookie.

3 years is almost the entire rookie contract for some players, if they suck all 3 years they won't be resigned, and therefore would have been a wasted draft pick.

IMO, 2 years is reasonable, but you want to see real progress as a rookie and have them break out their second year at worst. At least for high draft picks. Troup has shown NOTHING. Actually that is not true, he has shown that he is NOT an NFL caliber DT...

Agree 100%. The bills would have wasted his talent. They'd probably be trying to switch him to right guard. Chan is good with X's and o's but a poor evaluator of talent

First bolded sentenced not accurate. Some here have been calling for a TE for years.

The second bolded sentence is irrelevent. He wouldn't have been the record breaking TE he became with the pats, but obvioulsy he would have been a potent, if not the most potent weapon on our anemic offense.

Look, even if Troup instantly became "The Greatest NT in NFL History"--so what? That, overall would not have had an impact that taking a star TE like Gronkowski would, in my opinion. It's an ensemble position, not an individual, game changing position. It's not a gamechanger position.

How was Hardy worse?

I am not aware of Troup allegedly attempting to kill his father. I think Troup has played in a few games. That makes him better than Hardly.

On a side note, who did the Bills pick in the 6th round the year Brady was drafted. That was our worst 6th round pick in the last 10,000 years.

If I remember correctly, when they picked Troup, Nix said the "draft experts" felt other NTs were ranked higher, but he trusted his own scouting reports. The 2010 draft class was a disaster, and Modrak was let go the following year. Wonder if this Troup pick played into the decision to dump Modrak?

Please stop giving credit for Nix and Gailey for drafting Troup. Ok Nix certainly had some input in it, but don't forget these guys were hired shortly before that draft. For that draft the Bills relied on Modrak, who provided the Bills with a decade of awful drafting. He was fired shortly thereafter.

Look what Nix and Gailey did this year. Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Hairston in the first 5 rounds, all started and looked pretty good doing it. Dareus and Williams look like they could be stars.