Spagnuolo for DC

Dragonborn10

Good chance he is let go from St. Louis. Fire Edwards and turn the defense over to Spags. I would switch back to a 4-3 and see what he can do with Williams and Dareus at DT's. Move Kelsay back to DE and play Arrington next to Dareus. Still need an OLB or two. We have the worst LB's in the league and Kelsay is serviceable at DE. Another poster recommended drafting 5 LB's. While that is extreme I would not be upset with 2 OLB and 1 MLB drafted this year(unless someone added in FA obviously).

I mean the dude is probably top 3 dcs in the league and knows how to beat belichick/brady. there's no question he's a step up from george edwards as dc and dave wannstedt too. so, in closing, there's no chance he comes here as dc.

I don't think anyone would mind if they fired George Edwards and made my 90 year old Grand Aunt Doris defensive coordinator at this point in time.

So yeah, Spags would be amazing upgrade over my Grand Aunt Doris.

Now in reality do you think this really happen, the Spags part?

Edited by Why So Serious?

I'm not on board with this for two reasons.

1: Buddy nix is set on drafting for a 3-4, and that is what we've drafted for in the last two drafts. To bring in a new 4-3 DC would set us back even further than we are now.

2: Part of the problem is our offensive system. I think it would help if we went more ball control to keep our defense on the sidelines longer.

1: Buddy nix is set on drafting for a 3-4, and that is what we've drafted for in the last two drafts. To bring in a new 4-3 DC would set us back even further than we are now.

2: Part of the problem is our offensive system. I think it would help if we went more ball control to keep our defense on the sidelines longer.

I agree to a point. But they are playing a 4-3 now for the most part. Kyle Williams has no place to excel in a 3-4. He is too small for NT and too slow for DE. Troup might be the answer at NT but would rather see him in a rotation at DT. Williams now has zero trade value so he can't be used to upgrade DE or OLB in either scheme. The only problem is Sheppard may have no place except special teams in a 4-3 scheme. Just don't see him being a 4-3 MLB.

I agree to a point. But they are playing a 4-3 now for the most part. Kyle Williams has no place to excel in a 3-4. He is too small for NT and too slow for DE. Troup might be the answer at NT but would rather see him in a rotation at DT. Williams now has zero trade value so he can't be used to upgrade DE or OLB in either scheme. The only problem is Sheppard may have no place except special teams in a 4-3 scheme. Just don't see him being a 4-3 MLB.

Yeah I disagree with Kyle Williams, I think he can play NT and DE in our 3-4 but isn't prototypical. (He's really not prototypical anything but he keeps sup rising everyone)

But you hit the only real loss if we change from a 3-4 back to a 4-3.

What to do with Sheppard?

All things consider the defensive staff right in 2011 is better suited for a 4-3.

Kelsay is actually pretty good with his hand on the ground coming off the edge in a 4-3 and does it pretty often, because in the year 2011 you have to run a lot of 4 man fronts in Nickel and dime.

We need OLB in both systems, so making the switch before the 2012 draft would really only mean Sheppard got lost in the shuffle. Not that big of deal.

I don't think anyone would mind if they fired George Edwards and made my 90 year old Grand Aunt Doris defensive coordinator at this point in time.

So yeah, Spags would be amazing upgrade over my Grand Aunt Doris.

Now in reality do you think this really happen, the Spags part?

I think Doris deserves at least two seasons to implement her system.

This idea that KW can't play nose in the 34 is just not true.

In his first year in the defense he goes to the Pro Bowl despite having NOBODY else on the front seven AND from the worst team in the league against the run. Do you know how hard that is to do?

KW can play the 34 nose just fine. There is no law that says an NT has to play on the nose at all, let alone most of the time. Wade Phillips has played the 34 with an offset NT for years. But you have to have the DEs and ILBs to do it successfully.

GO BILLS!!!

Good chance he is let go from St. Louis. Fire Edwards and turn the defense over to Spags. I would switch back to a 4-3 and see what he can do with Williams and Dareus at DT's. Move Kelsay back to DE and play Arrington next to Dareus. Still need an OLB or two. We have the worst LB's in the league and Kelsay is serviceable at DE. Another poster recommended drafting 5 LB's. While that is extreme I would not be upset with 2 OLB and 1 MLB drafted this year(unless someone added in FA obviously).

Sounds good to me...It's no secret that the Bills have the worst D-coordinator (in NFL history IMO). Despite all of the Haters the Bill's D roster has some talent on it. Aaron Williams is looking really good to me, we are deep at safety, and when healthy we would have a dominant interior. All we need is someone with some brains, and a good OLB or 2.

Here's the problem...Don't expect the Bills to hire a top notch coordinator. They don't want to pay for them, that's why we ended up George Edwards in the first place. Edwards has been so bad that even the Bills cheap FO has to be thinking about canning him, even if they do expect them to look for a "bargain" though.

This idea that KW can't play nose in the 34 is just not true.

In his first year in the defense he goes to the Pro Bowl despite having NOBODY else on the front seven AND from the worst team in the league against the run. Do you know how hard that is to do?

KW can play the 34 nose just fine. There is no law that says an NT has to play on the nose at all, let alone most of the time. Wade Phillips has played the 34 with an offset NT for years. But you have to have the DEs and ILBs to do it successfully.

GO BILLS!!!

It's less a question of talent, than coaching. We are weak at LB, specifically OLB, but the rest of D when healthy is solid...We just have a god awful DC.

It's pretty easy to look like a defensive genius when you coached a team with Strahan, Justin Tuck, Antonio Pierce, Osi Umenyora and other players I can't think of all rushing the passer. I liek Spags and would probably be happy if we got him, however, he had a tremendous amount of talent. I'm not sure he could do much with the guys on our roster. I'd be willing to give him a shot though.

I don't think the Rams have exactly been known for defensive prowess in his time there either.

WE NEED PASS RUSHERS. That's our biggest issue. I would be happy with a change at coordinator though as well.

Edited by BuffaloBlizzard

The defense would be on the sidelines longer if they could ever stop someone.

It's pretty easy to look like a defensive genius when you coached a team with Strahan, Justin Tuck, Antonio Pierce, Osi Umenyora and other players I can't think of all rushing the passer. I liek Spags and would probably be happy if we got him, however, he had a tremendous amount of talent. I'm not sure he could do much with the guys on our roster. I'd be willing to give him a shot though.

I don't think the Rams have exactly been known for defensive prowess in his time there either.

WE NEED PASS RUSHERS. That's our biggest issue. I would be happy with a change at coordinator though as well.

You make a pretty good point actually. Not only did he have a dominant roster when he was there, but his teams have been simply awful with the Rams...It's not just the offense either, they can't stop the run. I think if we can get just 1 strong outside pass rusher we would have a pretty good 3-4 roster. We have a strong line when healthy, a solid secondary when healthy (Byrd, Wilson, Williams, Florence). We have a pretty good ILB in Barnett. The thing we are missing most here is a decent 3-4 coordinator. But will the Bills ever cough up the money to get one...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Hey you're taking away from my Nolan thread :P

and no 43 please we just spent 2 years drafting 34 players and 34s are harder on a offense and most of the top Ds are 34. Look at New England, they did some Hybris crap last year and are know a 43 with 34 guys and they suck even more than us. We need to stick with the 34 and actually run it and not this confusing, thinking-instead-of-playmaking hybrid.

... It's less a question of talent, than coaching. We are weak at LB, specifically OLB, but the rest of D when healthy is solid...We just have a god awful DC.

While nobody is enamored with the coaching, I'll have to disagree that's is less about talent. There is a lot to be said about putting players in position to succeed and when I see Spencer Johnson at OLB I'm wondering what the hell the coaches are doing. And then I realize it's out of desperation; some due to injury but more to do with the fact that Moats, Batten, Coleman, etc. are far worse an alternative. I can't even think about scheme when I constantly see players that can't hold the POA. That is not something you can scheme for; your players have to do that no matter what position, no matter what scheme. The ONLY players in our front seven doing that consistently are Dareus and Barnett. I also think Dwan Edwards does a good job more often than not.

Doesn't matter because like they say, you can't fire the players. Edwards will be gone and some new players will be brought in and then we'll see where we are from there.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Kyle can be a 3-4 NT, if given the right scheme and not always locked into the 0 technique, such as the 3-4 over.

The defense would be on the sidelines longer if they could ever stop someone.

No question about that, but we've all seem games this year where the defense played well in the first half, but faded late becuase the offense couldn't stay on the field. This is why I wish we would revert to a ball control offense.