Mike Nolan

Now try this on for size: Last year, the Texans' D was terrible (30th in yards allowed, 29th in points allowed). This year's, it's elite (1st in yards, 4th in points). Near as I can tell, they added 3 starters in the offseason: Jonathan Joseph (a very good and pretty high-priced free agent CB), JJ Watt (a rookie 1st-round pick DE), and Danieal Manning (a excellent KR, but mediocre FS). They also lost starting DT Amboi Okoye, and got only 5 games out of their best player (Mario Williams) this year, compared to 13 last year. They also switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which according to any Bills' front office employee, is a major obstacle for a defense to overcome.

So how did they go from being a bottom 3 defense to a top 3 defense? Yes, they did add some talent, but does that really explain anywhere near that big of a jump? There's probably some luck/variance involved too. Absolutely. But that still doesn't get us anywhere near the top 5, does it? Put another way: If you looked at the Texans' 2010 defense, would you have said it was loaded with talent? I'm guessing no, but feel free to correct me on this. Are Jonathan Joseph and JJ Watt really so good that they transformed that unit from the dregs to the heights? I say no. Coaching matters, and furthermore, not every player is a good fit for every coach's scheme. I submit that the better strategy is to get the right coaches/schemes in place, then find good players to fit those schemes, rather than trying to assemble a loaded defense, and only firing the coach once it's clear that he can't win even with elite talent.

Hear hear! Nolan is our man. Wanny would be a typical Bills lateral move.

Mike Nolan's a good coach. He'd make an excellent DC here. But if Edwards goes - and that's a MIGHTY BIG "IF" - doesn't Wanstache get the job?

Probably but one can dream. I have never liked Wanny as a coach even in Dallas and so far has done nothing for us.

Yes please Nolan might not be a good head coach (although one stint isn't enough to judge... Belicheat anyone?) he has proven over and over to be a great d coordinator! Sadly I think we're stuck with the stache if Edwards is dismissed which I'm not a fan of. He's has done little to nothing to improve this d and I've never been a fan of his whether it was dolphins or Pitt his teams always seemed to underachieve.

:thumbsup:

Ralph Wilson isn't even buying green bananas anymore, so take that as a sign that this is the last front office/coaching change you will see until the ownership changes. Like it or not, this is the team you get to watch until then.

I believe that the head coach and general manager are the guys that make decisions about the head coaches' staff, not the owner.

The first part of the equation is getting the right player. That is not the DC's job. Let's get the right players first.

320 Lb DE can't play LB and 245 Lb can't play DE so coaching is the problem. If we actually lined up in a 34 and used the 34 players we drafted in the right positions we would be playing a lot better.

I remember reading the Bills tried to get Nolan as DC when Chan was hired but her chose the Fins instead.

Ouch! Hey second times a charm :thumbsup:

I'm thinking Nolan will stay in Miami as part of a new staff.

GO BILLS!!!

You're ruining the dream man :P

Now try this on for size: Last year, the Texans' D was terrible (30th in yards allowed, 29th in points allowed). This year's, it's elite (1st in yards, 4th in points). Near as I can tell, they added 3 starters in the offseason: Jonathan Joseph (a very good and pretty high-priced free agent CB), JJ Watt (a rookie 1st-round pick DE), and Danieal Manning (a excellent KR, but mediocre FS). They also lost starting DT Amboi Okoye, and got only 5 games out of their best player (Mario Williams) this year, compared to 13 last year. They also switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which according to any Bills' front office employee, is a major obstacle for a defense to overcome.

So how did they go from being a bottom 3 defense to a top 3 defense? Yes, they did add some talent, but does that really explain anywhere near that big of a jump? There's probably some luck/variance involved too. Absolutely. But that still doesn't get us anywhere near the top 5, does it? Put another way: If you looked at the Texans' 2010 defense, would you have said it was loaded with talent? I'm guessing no, but feel free to correct me on this. Are Jonathan Joseph and JJ Watt really so good that they transformed that unit from the dregs to the heights? I say no. Coaching matters, and furthermore, not every player is a good fit for every coach's scheme. I submit that the better strategy is to get the right coaches/schemes in place, then find good players to fit those schemes, rather than trying to assemble a loaded defense, and only firing the coach once it's clear that he can't win even with elite talent.

Thank you! I agree 100%, coaching is the most important position on a football team. Any franchise is insane to pay for good players before it is willing to spend on top coaches. Go get the best coaches, offer them whatever they need to succeed, and they'll get the players to fill out their schemes. Schemes win. Players do what they're told. Fitzpatrick, with most any other coaches, would be what he was before - mediocre. With Gailey, in Gailey's system, he looks (at times) better than he would in other places. But, Gailey hasn't hand picked him. Go get a great D-coordinator and let him find the right players. Nolan, for instance, could turn us into a top 10 defense in one year, I'm sure of it. As for Gailey - imagine what he'd do with Cam Newton, or Griffin III.

Thank you! I agree 100%, coaching is the most important position on a football team. Any franchise is insane to pay for good players before it is willing to spend on top coaches. Go get the best coaches, offer them whatever they need to succeed, and they'll get the players to fill out their schemes. Schemes win. Players do what they're told. Fitzpatrick, with most any other coaches, would be what he was before - mediocre. With Gailey, in Gailey's system, he looks (at times) better than he would in other places. But, Gailey hasn't hand picked him. Go get a great D-coordinator and let him find the right players. Nolan, for instance, could turn us into a top 10 defense in one year, I'm sure of it. As for Gailey - imagine what he'd do with Cam Newton, or Griffin III.

and Ryan Tannehill when we draft him :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

320 Lb DE can't play LB and 245 Lb can't play DE so coaching is the problem. If we actually lined up in a 34 and used the 34 players we drafted in the right positions we would be playing a lot better.

The only reason we've got players in positions where they don't belong is injuries.

When Nix and Gailey came on board, they arrived with the intention of implementing a 3-4 defense, and that's the way we are headed, even with all the 4-3 players we still have on the roster. And I would submit to you that even last year, Houston's defense was better than ours. So what do we do? Do we stay on course and get more 3-4 players, or revert to a 4-3 and set ourselves back even further?