New NFL TV deal has a couple surprises

Beerball

The NFL will have a limited option to move NFC games between Fox and CBS beginning in ’14 with the intent of bringing regional games to a wider audience.

NBC will pick up a Thanksgiving night game next season ( I assume no NFL network game that evening?)

USA Today reported the extension brings a 60 percent increase in rights fees over the collective $1.93 billion CBS, Fox, and NBC currently pay the league annually, with the three networks eventually totaling $3.1 billion per year. That does not include the $1.8 billion ESPN will pay annually.

The deal also includes “TV everywhere’’ rights, allowing each network to simulcast games it is broadcasting on tablets and other digital platforms.

link

Does this mean that blackout rules would NOT be in effect for the streaming? You can easily blackout games geographically through cable providers, but I would imagine it's impossible to do this on the world wide web. Maybe only the national game would be streamed.

Only sold out games stream?

Does this mean that blackout rules would NOT be in effect for the streaming? You can easily blackout games geographically through cable providers, but I would imagine it's impossible to do this on the world wide web. Maybe only the national game would be streamed.

This may relate to your question: I tried to stream the Bills game on DTV (which I have this year) when I was in China and I received a message along the lines of "...not allowed outside of US or North America" or something like that. So, I guess it knew by my IP address where I was. However, I went to NFL network after I received that message and was allowed to stream the game through them on their trial version until I was notified that I would have to pay for it to continue watching it. So, one of the possibilities is that DTV only has streaming rights in US/NA but the NFL has streaming rights worldwide. However, that still does not indicate whether they would be able to limit streaming by US region streaming if, for example, a game was not sold out in that region.

This may relate to your question: I tried to stream the Bills game on DTV (which I have this year) when I was in China and I received a message along the lines of "...not allowed outside of US or North America" or something like that. So, I guess it knew by my IP address where I was. However, I went to NFL network after I received that message and was allowed to stream the game through them on their trial version until I was notified that I would have to pay for it to continue watching it. So, one of the possibilities is that DTV only has streaming rights in US/NA but the NFL has streaming rights worldwide. However, that still does not indicate whether they would be able to limit streaming by US region streaming if, for example, a game was not sold out in that region.

I use NFL Game Rewind - - a delayed streaming service. This is from the FAQ section of their website:

http://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/help_en_US.htm

Restrictions

1.Territories

a.Are there any places where I cannot purchase NFL Game Rewind?

A: NFL Game Rewind is only available to users located within the United States, Bermuda, Antigua, the Bahamas, and any U.S. territories, possessions and commonwealths (including American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) - collectively, the "NFL Game Rewind Included Territories". You are not authorized to use NFL Game Rewind if you are located outside any of the NFL Game Rewind Included Territories.

b.I purchased NFL Game Rewind and will be traveling out of the territory in which I purchased. Will I still be able to access my NFL Game Rewind subscription?

A: NFL Game Rewind is for exclusive use in the territory where purchased. NFL Game Rewind is not available in any other territory.

c.I am getting 'unavailable in your area' messaging in an available territory. What do I do?

A: This may be caused by your IP address resolving to the wrong location. Please contact customer support with your IP address (which you can identify through a number of free web services if you don’t know it) and they will be able to fix your account to give you access, provided you are not accessing inside an NFL Game Rewind Excluded Territory.

Anybody know just how precisely an IP address can be "resolved" to a geographic location? If it's narrow enough, the NFL could black-out streaming in the vicinity of not-sold-out games (just like they already prevent accessing the NFL Game Rewind video stream from certain countries). Or would the NFL only know the location of the server most directly connected to my computer, leaving my geographic location too imprecise to enforce mileage-from-stadium based black-out restrictions?

Take this for what it's worth. I don't put much stock in it, but it is what it is. I was cold called by Verizon the other day and they attempted to get me to get my TV service with them. We have phone and internet through FIOS, and TV with Direct TV...............obviously, so I can watch the Bills in Virginia. So, I tell the guy that I would switch in a heartbeat if FIOS got the NFL package and I could drop Direct TV. He proceeds to tell me that they have the redzone channel, to which I replied, I could care less because I want to watch the Bills. So, I told him again, to put in his notes that if FIOS ever gets the NFL package, to call me back, and I would gladly drop DTV during that phone call.

He told me that he'll be calling me next year because they are completing a deal to get the package. Without giving too much thought about it, because I don't believe him, I simply told him that I'll look forward to his phone call sometime soon then. He said, you bet.

I don't believe this one bit, but I thought I would pass it along. I would do ANYTHING, to dump Direct TV. The NFL package holds the key for me to be able to do that. I hope this boob really knows something that the rest of the country doesn't. Well, I think I probably just answered my own questions about this topic........not gonna happen.

Again, take it for what it's worth.

I would do ANYTHING, to dump Direct TV.

If that includes watching the Bills games (and any other regular season NFL game of any team) on a delayed basis, a fast FIOS Internet connection should get you a high-def picture from NFL Game Rewind for about $40/yr - - a lot less than the cost of the Direct TV with Sunday Ticket. Works great if you don't absolutely have to watch the game in real time.

And there's a cheap way to try it out. NFL Game Rewind offers a preseason game package, that declines in price as the regular season approaches. I paid something like $5 to get just the last preseason game, watched it online to confirm that my Internet connection gave me a high resolution uninterrupted video stream, and then bought the $40 regular season subscription.

If you get unsatisfactory video quality for the preseason game, you're out a total of $5. But I've been told FIOS is really fast, so I'm guessing you'll be good to go. All depends on whether you can stand the wait to see the game. If there's a Bills game I'm especially anxious to see, I'll go to a sports bar and watch it live, but for the most part I'm OK with a short delay.

I use NFL Game Rewind - - a delayed streaming service. This is from the FAQ section of their website:

Anybody know just how precisely an IP address can be "resolved" to a geographic location? If it's narrow enough, the NFL could black-out streaming in the vicinity of not-sold-out games (just like they already prevent accessing the NFL Game Rewind video stream from certain countries). Or would the NFL only know the location of the server most directly connected to my computer, leaving my geographic location too imprecise to enforce mileage-from-stadium based black-out restrictions?

I was intrigued by this conversation. Did some googling, and the answer is yes.

http://www.ip2location.com/

There you go.

If I type in "burger king" first on the list is burger kings in Anchorage. Sure they know.

I think everyone is over thinking the issue. First they may use IP to see if your in the country, but after that they can use your adress for your account. Just like the sunday ticket, if a game is blacked out where I live thats it. I cannot see the game, just like if i want to wactch it on the 700 channel with the package and i tune to that channel it tells me that it is on a local channel and I MUST watch it there. They will use your service address to determine what you are allowed to watch. If i am traveling and not at home, but still in the country when i try to watch the game, if it is blacked out at my house no matter where I am trying to stream the game with my account it still will tell me the game is blacked out.

Edited by mikey98277

A lot of streams are available outside the blackout areas because they originate outside the black out areas. i.e. some one has paid for a bills game (that is blacked out at home) and streams it to a streaming site, not blocking any geographical area. It seems to me a lot of streams are done that way. Not sure what the issue is.

Yeah, ESPN3.com, which does streaming of live sports events (college football/basketball, majors tennis, every World Cup match among many other sports) has a "Game cannot be shown in your area" message for blackouts, when I tried to watch a UConn football game awhile back.

A lot of streams are available outside the blackout areas because they originate outside the black out areas. i.e. some one has paid for a bills game (that is blacked out at home) and streams it to a streaming site, not blocking any geographical area. It seems to me a lot of streams are done that way. Not sure what the issue is.

You get that that's illegal, right?