The Dutch

Beerball

The Dutch are scum.

Note: Before I get hate mail about my anti-Dutchness, this post is meant to be funny and nonsensical. I have met Dutch people, I have friends who are Dutch. They are perfectly lovely people.

Senator, I served with the Dutch, I knew the Dutch, The Dutch was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Dutchman.

My mum's side of the family is Dutch.

I can aver that this article is spot-on, and it goes far beyond just Christmas.

Same here - my mother's parents were from Holland and they were some of the most frugal folks you'd ever find. I always thought it was more generational - the fact that they lived through the war under Nazi occupation and had next to nothing so they learned to live without. Although my grandfather was very successful as a surgeon and pulled in a surgeon's salary, my grandparents never owned a clothes dryer- they didn't see the need to have such a luxury when they could hang things to dry outside or up in the attic when it was winter.I've since come to learn that the Dutch are aware of their frugality and do tend to wear it sheepishly as a badge of honor.

Hence the term "going Dutch?"

Adam Carolla made a similar joke in his movie, "The Hammer":

The Dutch must be some cheap bast*rds to be known throughout the word for this one thing. You ever think about that?... I'm just saying, how many checks do you have to split as a nation before this becomes your thing?