Cowher in Miami?

We had him once but as usual we let the good ones go. Besides him one of the biggest mistakes we made was letting Bobby April go. That guy is probably the best special team coach ever and our ST have been nowhere as good as when he was here. Wish they would have given him a HCing shot. We couldn't be any worse than what we are doing now and who knows maybe he could have been the next Marv.

Bobby April was passed over for interim coach in favor of Perry Fewell.

After that he was not given consideration for the vacant Head Coaching position.

He was reportedly very upset by these perceived slights.

The Bills did not err in the April situation… unless you wanted him to become the Bills Head Coach?

I would pay Lebeau 20 million dollars per season if thats what it took to get him here. I'd triple the salaries of all the Steelers position coaches too. Tell him to bring his entire staff

I just called Ralph Wilson with your suggestion. He said that he would be glad to do it, but he has several family members that have financial woes. I apologized for asking him to spend more money on the Bills. Then he added, "Since I won't help my family members financially, why would I consider spending more to please the Buffalo fans?" (I didn't really call him. I wrote a note and sent it to him with my Merry Grinchmas card.)

From Adam Schefter:

Q: Any chance the Buffalo Bills fire Chan Gailey and blow up their ineffective front office to attract a talented coach who could also act as it's GM? I think that is only way the Cowher's of the NFL world would ever go to Buffalo. What do you think?

-- Michael (Ga.)

A: For starters, Michael, Cowher isn't going to Buffalo. The Bills tried the last time they were searching for a head coach -- and Cowher highly recommended Gailey. Gailey did a good job this season before injuries crushed the Bills. For that reason, it's hard to see Buffalo changing head coaches. Gailey is good -- he just needs more talent around him. And I wouldn't count on Buffalo getting rid of its general manager, Buddy Nix, either. As one anonymous member of the Bills recently said: "I have never been more sincere when I tell you I've never seen a GM in Buffalo with more power and security. He has total power." And that power is expected to remain with him.

This

This too

We had him once but as usual we let the good ones go. Besides him one of the biggest mistakes we made was letting Bobby April go. That guy is probably the best special team coach ever and our ST have been nowhere as good as when he was here. Wish they would have given him a HCing shot. We couldn't be any worse than what we are doing now and who knows maybe he could have been the next Marv.

The mistake we made was not making LeBeau the DC, instead keeping Jerry Gray as the DC....When Mularkey wanted to promote, it was too late as Cowher had already offered the same DC position to LeBeau and LeBeau wanted to go back to Pittsburgh.

Bobby April used a clause in his contract to get out of his contract. He wanted to be given a shot at being the HC of the Bills. In hindsight, being a fiery coach, he would have motivated this team far better than what Chan has done.

From Adam Schefter:

Q: Any chance the Buffalo Bills fire Chan Gailey and blow up their ineffective front office to attract a talented coach who could also act as it's GM? I think that is only way the Cowher's of the NFL world would ever go to Buffalo. What do you think?

-- Michael (Ga.)

A: For starters, Michael, Cowher isn't going to Buffalo. The Bills tried the last time they were searching for a head coach -- and Cowher highly recommended Gailey. Gailey did a good job this season before injuries crushed the Bills. For that reason, it's hard to see Buffalo changing head coaches. Gailey is good -- he just needs more talent around him. And I wouldn't count on Buffalo getting rid of its general manager, Buddy Nix, either. As one anonymous member of the Bills recently said: "I have never been more sincere when I tell you I've never seen a GM in Buffalo with more power and security. He has total power." And that power is expected to remain with him.

Gailey has come out on multiple occasions and told him to go out and spend more to get someone, but Buddy has told him thats not how he is building a team. He doesn't like big name FA's because they rarely live up to the expectations and contracts after they sign. And its true, how many FA's each year go out and live up to the hype/expectations of their new salary?

The only way Buddy or Chan are out in Buffalo before ATLEAST next offseason, is if they decide to step down because they don't want the job. Buddy could step down this offseason or next and decide he is too old and wants to retire and give way to Whaley whom he is supposed to be grooming and working with to take over. As for Gailey, he could step down, but its more likely he makes a few changes to the coaching staff this offseason first by getting rid of Edwards due to pressure. But thats about it. Its also most likely they go to the 'Stache as DC before they bring in someone outside the organisation, unless he does not want the job and would prefer to stay with what he currently has. Then maybe someone like Nolan would be brought in to try and fix the defence and run the 3-4. They aren't going to blow everything up again because they aren't a playoff team after 2 years of a full on top to bottom rebuild.

Edited by apuszczalowski

Jimmy Johnson was on Mike & Mike the other day talking about how you don't want to have your head coach involved in play-calling. You want your head coach to be "managing the game", essentially telling his coordinators to speed the game up, slow it down, blitz more, etc. I think Chan is an outstanding offensive coordinator. I'm not sold on him as a head coach. If he is going to be head coach next year (which I am sure he will), the front office should consider bringing in a REAL OC, in addition to bringing in a REAL DC.

Let's hope Cowher goes to Miami. He is terribly overrated. His teams consistently flopped in the playoffs and only with the help of the entire SuperBowl officiating crew did he final win one. His replacement is a better coach than he ever was. Lebeau was the true genius behind that team. Spitting, kissing your players, and sticking out your chin doesn't win games.

1) I don't care if they double his salary, he's not walking away from a HC job voluntarily for an OC position

2) I don't think you see Miami really chase cowher-- could change but with Ireland allegedly staying and Ross saying he wants a young up and comer.... It doesnt fit. Atleast the current script.

The Bills HC job was not one that many people were interested in not 2 years ago. The list declining interviews or withdrawing interest are long: Leslie Frazier, Jim Harbaugh, Ron Rivera, Brian Schottenheimer, and Russ Grimm. After two weeks of being shot down, Nix hired the first guy who'd been a HC in the league (albeit it 10 years before) and who'd accept the job.

I can't see Gailey sticking around for a HC job without support Given that Jeff Littmann is running the team into the ground. He (Gailey) will never get the personnel to run his system because it simply costs too much. And if Buddy's rapid rebuild is working, it's definitely hard to tell.

Dan Marino has lobbied Cowher for the Miami job and said Cowher was not interested in coaching or Miami and that he believed him when he said it.

If/when Chan is no longer with the Bills AND Cowher is looking for an OC, I am sure they would mutually agree to reunite. But, not until the stars align.

I hear all the talk about DC Edwards too. I am not enuff of an expert to say what the problems is, but when I look at our DB's, I think McGee & Florence are capable. Williams is coming on and Rogers is not a waste. McKelvin hasn't been the same since the fumbled kick return vs NE - he needs a hypnotist (or something).

LB's - I pray Merriman's surgery corrects all his ills. Barrett was a huge upgrade over Poz (I watch the Jags and hear the announcers call hinm a tackling machine - but he doesn't make plays or make the tackles close enuff to the line of scrimmage), Shep is also coming along. Beyond them, we need more LB's.

DL - Williams & Dareus are studs. Kelsay is actually OK - prtetty smart and is over-abused because we associate him w/losing. Beyond those 3, I have grave doubts (Johnson, Edwards - I dunno) Carrington?? Troup(e)?? - maybe when his back is better he can deliver and rotate in to give Dareus/Williams a breather.

Coaching? - again I dunno. What has Wanny brought us? Is he waiting for Chan to fire Edwards?

I like Chan's judgement - if he says Edwards is OK, I believe him, but my god we need a pass rusher or 2!!!!