throw crazy money @ Jeff Fisher

EldaBillsFan

+ 1

The Bills drafting/scouting/personnel depts. get it right only rarely and even then it's probably just by chance.

You can't be unsuccessful as long and as consistantly as the Buffalo Bills have been just because of injuries of bad luck.

<_<

Building through the draft only works if you sign and keep the good talent that you draft and develop. Good teams keep their good talent and use the draft to replace the bad talent. Buffalo does almost the opposite. Bad teams keep the bad talent because they are good bargains and replace the good talent because we won't pay fair market value for their skills.

Public Service Announcement:

After firing Tom Modrak in April the Bills hired Chuck Cook as Director of College Scouting and Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel.

This comes one year after hiring Doug Whaley as Assistant GM/Director of Player Personnel and Darrell Moody as National Scout.

Since hiring Buddy Nix less than two years ago, the Bills have substantially revamped their scouting department (please remember that Tom Modrak and John Guy were here FOREVER) and have brought in a number of experienced and respected personnel men in the very recent term.

Shall we give these new high-ranking members of the personnel department one draft and one free agency period before we condemn them to failure?

Andy Reid

Mike Shanahan

"Good" coaches doing poorly. Whoops! there goes that theory.

I find it amazing that people try to blame losing on ONE thing. It's like people's minds aren't big enough to think about something from more than one angle.

It's the coaches! No, It's the QB! No, it's the owner! No, it's the DC! No, it's the GM! No, it's the injuries! No, it's 10 years of bad drafting! No, it's CJ Spiller!

IMHO, Chan is NOT the problem. It is MANY things. Anyone who thinks changing coaches is a panacea is a moron.

REBUILDING.

Word.

It's like listening to morons discussing what's wrong with this country.

Because of our societal ADD caused by information overload, 24-hour news cycles, the need for immediate gratification, and the lack of intellectual endurance, the problem with anything, no matter how complex, is always just one thing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would a top coach or top FA come to the Bills when the next owner will clean house and start over anyway? Answer, they won't, so its Chan, Buddy and the draft until Ralph is gone. Of course, when Ralph is gone, so is the team. Sucks to be a Bills fan.

ha ya he went to Washington and they are ripping it up....Ya Bills are leaving - again with this stuff. If they were leaving they would be gone by now. Not going anywhere

Bill Cowher...

there is a reason Cowher isnt coaching anywhere. 15 years and one super bowl title isn't exactly "the master" Nowadays who gets 15 years ?

Also only two winning records in his last 4 years...if he came here and didn't win in his first year we would be crying for another coach we don't give anyone anytime to build and wonder why we can't get something done. McCarthy is in his sixth year if he was in Buffalo after his 6-10 season we would have had him run out of town and certainly after McCarthy went 8-8 we would have wanted a change

Edited by CardinalScotts

Brian Schottenheimer of all people won't even interview for the HC job and someone thinks Jeff Fisher would come to Buffalo. :o:lol:

NFN, But I think the reason Brian didn't want to interview is because he knew his dad was highly interested in the Buffalo Bills head coaching job, he publicly stated as much.

The other factor might be that RW let it be known he didn't feel "comfortable" hiring Marty...so what would be your take from that... if you were his son?

Anyway, Martyball would be a huge improvement over anything this team has seen since Wade Philips was HC. Marty has a penchant for taking bad teams and rebuilding them into winners

NFN, But I think the reason Brian didn't want to interview is because he knew his dad was highly interested in the Buffalo Bills head coaching job, he publicly stated as much.

The other factor might be that RW let it be known he didn't feel "comfortable" hiring Marty...so what would be your take from that... if you were his son?

Anyway, Martyball would be a huge improvement over anything this team has seen since Wade Philips was HC. Marty has a penchant for taking bad teams and rebuilding them into winners

Perhaps, but this doesn't explain why Jim Harbaugh, Russ Grimm, and Ron Rivera wouldn't interview either. Leslie Frazier interviewed and later pulled his name from consideration.

I think Marty wouldn't publicly admitted he wanted back in, but Nix wanted someone who wouldn't appear as another "buddy" and who he could get RW to sign off on. Either way, all of this illustrates how foolish it is to expect anyone with a proven reputation to work here as a HC or coordinator.

Edited by BillsVet

He really does. I wouldn't mind a little Martyball over the Chan-man. There's stuff about Marty Schotttenheimer that I don't really like. His handling of the Drew Brees situation for example. Still, he has an eye for talent, and a reputation for discipline. Ralph wouldn't do it, but I'd definitely be on board if he did.

He really does. I wouldn't mind a little Martyball over the Chan-man. There's stuff about Marty Schotttenheimer that I don't really like. His handling of the Drew Brees situation for example. Still, he has an eye for talent, and a reputation for discipline. Ralph wouldn't do it, but I'd definitely be on board if he did.

It wasn't Marty that got rid of Brees, it was AJ Smith the GM of the Chargers who deemed Brees as being too short.

I recall reading an article that Brees praised Marty in, he stated that the best thing that ever happened to him was when Marty benched him for committing turnovers. It made him re-evaluate himself to be more carefull with his throws.

Perhaps, but this doesn't explain why Jim Harbaugh, Russ Grimm, and Ron Rivera wouldn't interview either. Leslie Frazier interviewed and later pulled his name from consideration.

I think Marty wouldn't publicly admitted he wanted back in, but Nix wanted someone who wouldn't appear as another "buddy" and who he could get RW to sign off on. Either way, all of this illustrates how foolish it is to expect anyone with a proven reputation to work here as a HC or coordinator.

oh contraire...

http://espn.go.com/b...anted-bills-gig

http://buffalowins.c...-bills-job.html

There are other articles i read in which Marty admitted he had a conversation with Buddy Nix before the Bills hired Gailey, it was RW who shot down the idea of Martyball !!!

nope. this i what we got. Nix might move on before Ralph does.

Who should replace Nix might be better ?. He's 80 or something is'nt he?Chan stays till new regime. Edwards is on a tight rope i bet. somebody has to pay for this brilliant/miserable season don't they

Isn't that why Whaley was brought in, to be groomed under Buddy?

Fan support is only there when the team is competitive. Half this years home games are not even close to being sellouts. Where are the fans? Look at history. Lots of blackouts in WNY. Gate revenue for a game at the Ralph is the lowest in the league. The other owners, who get half of that, are not happy about that i can assure you. They will support any move out of the beat up, low revenue RWS. Only an "angel" who is willing to take a huge financial hit to keep the team at "rock pile II" will outbid all others who want to move it. Television and luxury suite revenue is where it's at in the NFL. Ticket revenue is in third place, best case.

Guess we need to define competitive. IMO, this team has not been competitive since the 2004 season when they couldn't beat the Steelers 2nd string to qualify for the playoffs. So I think it's a mistake to question fan support. Only a handful of fan bases would support a team stuck in such a streak of mediocrity and Bills fans can be counted among those few. And I think if a couple dollars more per ticket would assist in fielding a competitive product most Bills fans would be on board.

The fact is the team’s fate is not certain. There's no guarantee they are moving or staying in Buffalo. There are many variables at play with the new owners the most critical.

Look at Jacksonville. We all thought that team was on the way out with low attendance in a small market and lack of fan support, destined for LA. But a new owner comes in and apparently has a desire to make it work there even though he could make more money somewhere else besides Jacksonvile. That goes to show that not every potential owner or group is seeking maximum revenue and profit without regard for other objectives. So far he's saying and doing all the right things to this point (hope this link works). Don't be surprised if somebody like Jeff Fisher ends up here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/12/16/jaguars-khan.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a12

So with a long history in Buffalo and a fair number of well-heeled potential owners all is not lost when the time comes for ownership to pass to another party. And as many others have said in many treads in many ways, nothing is going to change to turn the results on the field around until that happens.

It should have said a coach "like Marvin Lewis" but that neither here nor there.....

Id take Herm Edwards .... just need someone that can motivate as well as coach

God no! I never liked Herm Edwards and obviously his motivational tactics are only good enough for Coors Light commercials now, as he can't land a HC job. Let him stay there.