Cell Phone What do you have LIke it or not

Hammered a Lot

I'm in the market for a new phone and am looking at Droid Bionic. I don't need a phone that plays games. I'm interested in a phone that shoots nice video that I can use for my Parking buisness and Construction buisness. Wife will be getting the Iphone 4s. I'm a Verizon customer. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hammered a Lot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from the Droid X to the iPhone 4. I hate the iPhone compared to the Droid, but that's more because I like to play/alter my phone. Personally though, knowing you, I would suggest the iPhone since its made for simpletons.

:worthy:

If it wasn't for the beats audio of the rezound, I know it's optimized using the beats software, it will get the ics soon enough, so that's not an issue, plus I like the battery option of the rezound.

For Android, the ONLY phone I'd consider on Verizon is the Galaxy Nexus:

http://www.google.com/nexus/

Not because the others are bad, but because the Galaxy Nexus is awesome. Pure Google Experience and the only phone running ICS.

If it wasn't for the beats audio of the rezound, I know it's optimized using the beats software, it will get the ics soon enough, so that's not an issue, plus I like the battery option of the rezound.

After the original Samsung Galaxy promise to update to Gingerbread, I don't trust US Carriers to actually push the updates out. It took months and months and months to get an upgrade to 2.3 from 2.2 AFTER Samsung finished it, which is nowhere near the update from 2.3 to 4.0.

The whole beats audio thing is just okay. I've got an HTC Inspire 4g and hacked it to install the beats audio feature since it's all software based. It's essentially like having an EQ that emphasizes bass frequencies.

Edited by BlueFire

I have the Droid Bionic. I waited months and months for it. In fact, I waited over 10 months for it. Sure it does not have ICS but that is ok because soon enough it will and estimates are that it will be available sometime mid 1Q. The camera shutter lag is the only major downfall of this phone. It may take up to 5 seconds to take the picture depending on the settings. With the right aps you will be just fine. Juice Defender with Task Killer Pro I can go a day and a half running many aps, including Skype, ESPN ScoreMobile, Weather.com and RSS Feeds. The aps are as good, maybe better, then iPhone.

Due to my lifestyle I have the OtterBox protector series and it protects the phone very well. I am careful with the places I take it but it has seen its moments where the phone was alright. I have an extended battery that I do not use unless absolutely neccessary due to the fact it does not fit inside the OtterBox. I also have a second battery that allows me to not have to open the phone and just plug it in the MicroUSB, and a small charge box that works as a charger as well as a mobile power station.

The Aps on the phone are a little annoying, it is full of bloatware - but most phones are now-a-days. If you root your phone (which is technically against Verizon's User End Agreement and Motorola/Google Agreement) you might not get coverage on your phone. I will wait over a year to root my phone. Until then I turned off all automatic updates and disabled as many of the Aps I do not want. They include Citrix, Slacker, Amazon Kindle, GoTo Meeting, VideoSurf (seriously, a stupid Ap), and BlockBuster. I love GoogleSky, PDANet, Where's my Droid, Flashlight, Juice Defender, Skype, and Advanced Task Killer. I will open ATK a few times during the day to close the bloatware and background Aps. Verizons biggest problem is letting these Aps get full access to everything on my phone. Why does Slacker need to know who I am calling and access my address book? Alas, all phones are like this, the iPhone included.

Overall, I love this phone. I would not purchase the Razr due to the fact that I keep phones for long duractions and will have this phone at least 20 months. If you want to replace the battery in that phone it is must more difficult, however, due to many options available it is still not as bad as it used to be. People who say the iPhone is much easier to use confound me. I do not see how any UI is easier. They are all about the same.

The Droid Razr was originally going to be touted as the Droid HD. It had a leading class screen and was engineered to have an HD display but only a super Amoled qHD. Nonetheless, I had considered waiting for it but saw the advantage as null. If the phone had ICS I would have waited.

The Galaxy S2, Nexus, and Epic are all along the same line with each being slightly a tweek apart. Of them the Nexus is the leader with ICS although the Galaxy S2 is damn close. It was released, in my opinion, early to beat the Iphone. The Bionic was the same way, with both phones originally pegged for mid-October launches. You can only notice a few raw parts that could have been further developed if you are a true junkie on this stuff.

So, my verdict: The Bionic and the Razr are pretty much same thing with the Razr being slightly faster and smaller. The whole thing about the gorilla glass and size are a little overhyped because you should get a good case anyway. The Bionic has very good user reviews and the Razr is still a little new to trust them yet.

The iPhone4S is a little bit silly with the whole Siri project. Listening to Stern he is very dissatisfied with it, in fact it could not tell him how to get to Nobu after providing it an address. If you are interested in the voice commands then you may want to reconsider but telling an iPhone fan the phone is not worth it is like yelling at a rock.

The Samsung lineup is pretty strong, I have only read about the Nexus but it looks inspiring. I am hoping Google does not sandbag other companies now that it has acquired Motorola - though it is interesting that the only ICS phone available is through Samsung. The Galaxy S2 and Epic are two phones I played with that I enjoyed but found a little bit more confusing then the Bionic.

I would go on a limb and get the Razr at this pointm the Nexus, and then the Bionic - without factoring in price (Which I do not do when making major purchases). My previous phone was the Blackberry Curve 8330.

I went with the Razr after looking at the Rezound and waiting on the Nexus.

The Rezound was just fat and I don't use my phone at the gym plus Sense is a huge memory hog it felt like it was lagging.

The nexus is a Samsung and after having a Capitivate with At&t I will never buy another Samsung again their cell radios suck and build quality is not the greatest they all seem to have problems.

Moto has been great right now size is perfect and using smart actions I get anywhere between 18-31 hours per battery charge so the point of adding a battery was not even in my mind

I have the Droid Bionic. I waited months and months for it. In fact, I waited over 10 months for it. Sure it does not have ICS but that is ok because soon enough it will and estimates are that it will be available sometime mid 1Q. The camera shutter lag is the only major downfall of this phone. It may take up to 5 seconds to take the picture depending on the settings. With the right aps you will be just fine. Juice Defender with Task Killer Pro I can go a day and a half running many aps, including Skype, ESPN ScoreMobile, Weather.com and RSS Feeds. The aps are as good, maybe better, then iPhone.

The new update for the Bionic fixes (or greatly improves) the shutter lag. I just got it for mine and the shutter speed is much faster. Should be pushing out to all phones shortly.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/08/droid-bionic-update-finally-on-the-way-here-is-your-massive-bug-fixer/

Bought the Razr on Wed. & love it. Battery life however, is pretty darn awful.

Set your smart actions I use it on mine and use wifi most the time saves me from having to worry about going over my 4gigs a month. Another thing turn on the 4g radio there are a ton of programs in the market that will do it for you just use 4g for when you want it.

I *highly* recommend not using a task killer on Android.

Couple links explaining why:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/revisiting-android-task-killers-and-why-you-dont-need-one/

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

When I admit to using ATK most people do not approve. I use it because of the bloatware to shut down Slacker, Blockerbuster, etc. It is set up to remove Aps I never use - it will not shut down things I commonly use. Just like I turn off Juice Defender when I am using my phone frequently, there are perimeters on why I use what I use when I use them.

When I admit to using ATK most people do not approve. I use it because of the bloatware to shut down Slacker, Blockerbuster, etc. It is set up to remove Aps I never use - it will not shut down things I commonly use. Just like I turn off Juice Defender when I am using my phone frequently, there are perimeters on why I use what I use when I use them.

You still shouldn't use it, even for that. The links above explain why from a technical standpoint, especially the second one from the android developers themselves.

Edited by BlueFire

I'm tech savvy and have no complaints about my iPhone 4. Works all the time. No problems. No bloatware. Videos suck on all phones but no doubt some are better. You'll have to shop for the best with that feature but...good luck.

People are saying they don't like the iPhone because you can't tinker as much. I guess. I can't imagine what features are so critical on a droid that you can't get on an iPhone. Both are fine...get which one feels right. Going iPhone probably means committing to the iborg though. If you haven't done that yet, make sure you're ready for the good(apple stuff is pretty awesome) with the bad (less choices of hardware...locked into Apple in the future).

Edited by Observer

I'm tech savvy and have no complaints about my iPhone 4. Works all the time. No problems. No bloatware. Videos suck on all phones but no doubt some are better. You'll have to shop for the best with that feature but...good luck.

People are saying they don't like the iPhone because you can't tinker as much. I guess. I can't imagine what features are so critical on a droid that you can't get on an iPhone. Both are fine...get which one feels right. Going iPhone probably means committing to the iborg though. If you haven't done that yet, make sure you're ready for the good(apple stuff is pretty awesome) with the bad (less choices of hardware...locked into Apple in the future).

The app called "remote" was worth like three times what I paid for the phone all by itself. It allows me to control my music collection (iTunes) in any room I want it. It's much more stable than the squeezebox I had previously. On top of that, I love the retina display, I enjoy watching Netflix movies during downtime at work, and the after market case I have for it keeps it all nice and safe. For my needs, no other phone is better.

After the original Samsung Galaxy promise to update to Gingerbread, I don't trust US Carriers to actually push the updates out. It took months and months and months to get an upgrade to 2.3 from 2.2 AFTER Samsung finished it, which is nowhere near the update from 2.3 to 4.0.

The whole beats audio thing is just okay. I've got an HTC Inspire 4g and hacked it to install the beats audio feature since it's all software based. It's essentially like having an EQ that emphasizes bass frequencies.

I'm thinking Beats Audio is no reason to buy a phone. Dependability, functionality. If it has the apps you want. For example, I'd never buy a phone that didn't offer Swype keyboard. I'm with Bluefire, IF I was buying now it would be a Galaxy Nexus. Would love to have a phone with pure Google instead of a carrier interface on it.

I went from the Droid X to the iPhone 4. I hate the iPhone compared to the Droid, but that's more because I like to play/alter my phone. Personally though, knowing you, I would suggest the iPhone since its made for simpletons.

Went with the iphone4simpletion.

Thank you one and all with your input. :worthy: