Buffalo won't move to LA

No they aren't. Unless you still believe wacky Ed Roski is going to build a stadium and buy the majority ownership in a team that has yet announced an intention to move there.

Everything that I've heard is that it would take two teams to make building a stadium worth it and that's what they really want.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything that I've heard is that it would take two teams to make building a stadium worth it and that's what they really want.

Casserly on L.A. watch

December 6, 2011 - 8:38 AM | 0 comments

For those who missed it, here's what former NFL general manager and current CBS analyst Charley Casserly said Sunday in sizing up the field of candidates to move to Los Angeles: "Talking to the NFL and people close to the L.A. situation, they feel that the three clubs that have the most favorable lease to leave are San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis. Furthermore, to make the stadium work financially in Los Angeles, the feeling is you need two teams there. One from the AFC and one from the NFC would make it ideal.

Casserly apparently was presuming the Bills have no trouble getting an extension of their lease deal, which runs out in July 2013.

---Mark Gaughan

Even though I hate this topic, I heard Sam Farmer on Rich Eisen's podcast about the LA issue. He didn't mention the Bills once. When Eisen asked about them, Farmer said he didn't think it was very probable. NY State is a very big political hotbed and it would be hell to try and move the only team that plays in the state.

He felt that something like Jacksonville movign to St. Louis (the new owner tried to buy the Rams before) and the Rams moving back to LA. Then, it would be one of the Cali teams moving, though he is said the Raiders would be a tough sell given the Raider fan mentality.

I think it is crap that LA needs to get a team back after losing 2. But it's better someone else than us. As much as these years have sucked, at least we have a team to B word about.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82526f1d/article/khan-would-pay-25m-to-exjags-owners-charity-if-team-moves

Part of Wayne Weaver's sale of the Jacksonville Jaguars to Shahid Khan included a clause in which Khan must pay $25 million to the charity of Weaver's choice should he move the team within five years of the purchase date, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Khan has been adamant that he doesn't plan to move the team, and he spoke on that topic at length during the last week's league meetings in Dallas.

Even though I hate this topic, I heard Sam Farmer on Rich Eisen's podcast about the LA issue. He didn't mention the Bills once. When Eisen asked about them, Farmer said he didn't think it was very probable. NY State is a very big political hotbed and it would be hell to try and move the only team that plays in the state.

He felt that something like Jacksonville movign to St. Louis (the new owner tried to buy the Rams before) and the Rams moving back to LA. Then, it would be one of the Cali teams moving, though he is said the Raiders would be a tough sell given the Raider fan mentality.

I think it is crap that LA needs to get a team back after losing 2. But it's better someone else than us. As much as these years have sucked, at least we have a team to B word about.

Farmer's Insurance was started by a guy named Farmer? I thought for sure it was started for farmers. Like the halftime shows used to be for college football - sponsored by Fireman's Fund Insurance or something like that.

Farmer's Insurance was started by a guy named Farmer? I thought for sure it was started for farmers. Like the halftime shows used to be for college football - sponsored by Fireman's Fund Insurance or something like that.

Most people don't know that Geico Insurance was started by Frank Geico - - Gucci Inabagel's great grandfather.

ridiculous that the NFL wants TWO teams in LA.

it won't work this time.

even if the bills move to LA, they'd just move back to buffalo in 10 years after whatever owner moves them there realizes that he could either have 80,000 people attending his games in buffalo week in/week out... or 40,000 a week in LA.

AND they want to split the market with TWO teams???? wtf.

I don't know, Ralph has never shown any intention that he cares if the team stay in buffalo after he's gone. I think he plays the part just to keep the people coming. There are 31 other owners who would love to replace one of the smallest markets teams, with one of the biggest markets, which in return would open the door for Toronto down the road. I'm really trying to stay positive here, but I think the writing on the wall is so clear that it blinding everyone in Buffalo that the Bills are going to stay. Hope I'm wrong.

If the new owner of the Bills is presented with a new stadium by some other city/county, it will move. If not , it will stay. The NFL requirement to have a big stadium makes it harder to move the team.

For starters Jacksonville rarely sells out, the area is more excited about the Florida Gators than the Jags, so moving the team somewhere else say LA where they are hungry and looking for a team makes sense. I realize that it will cost a ton of money but I'm sure they can make that up in 10 year with good attendance and being in way larger TV market. It does however screw up the divisions a bit, the Jags playing in the AFC South would change the divisions a bit, which brings me to my next point eliminate the divisions and just go with the best 6 teams in each conference.

- The new owner will make money(go look at the NFL TV contracts) each season in Jacksonville no matter how bad the attendance is.

- Whenever he decides to sell the team, it will be for a lot more than he paid for it.

- Therefore, there is no reason for him to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to break the lease and move the team.

Most people don't know that Geico Insurance was started by Frank Geico - - Gucci Inabagel's great grandfather.

Isn't he also a salamander breeder?

I still wanna punch him in the face.

And is there a bigger joke than the Jags getting 2 MNF games this year? And thank god we passed on Gabbert. He wasn't good in college and he is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

I didnt even hear of this kid until 2 weeks before the draft. Everyone was saying how well he did at the combine. Gabbert is afraid to take a hit. He looks like a surfer not an NFL qb. Another year, and he will be another bust. Blaine!

Very true. And this is why Cowherd doesn't know what he's talking about.

Weaver made it clear he was never going to move the team and that he wasn't going to sell to anyone who was intent on moving the team.

The lease is locked up until 2030! The value of the lease is 145 million, of which the minimum penalty of breaking the lease is 100 million as of this year (plus lost surcharges and parking at another million--per year of the remaining lease). Add to that the relocation fee (145 million or so?) and the rent that the new owner would have to pay his LA landlord (I would have to believe it would be significantly more than he pays in Jacksonville now).

That would make the price of moving to LA at least 300-350 million? On a 760 million purchase?

The only way this new owner avoids paying the massive lease breaking penalty is to prove he lost money his first year AND that he was below the league's revenue average for the next 2 years. This, of course, will be impossible because he and all of the other owners would have to open their books for him to make this claim.

Not gonna happen.

I agree with you and I think this is why the new owner is putting on his "we're staying in FLA face". On the flip side, I really believe the Bills are not in WNY - as soon as 2015.... The way the league is going it has outgrown Buffalo and our perpetual mediocrity, (if we are even that good). When it occurs, I believe the other owners will approve a relocation of the franchise.... I don't have sources deep within the organization or anything like that, just a feeling that when the old man dies, it's all over....

Yeah well I'll believe it when I see it. The Bills ARE western NY. How many other teams can you really say that about? A few, but not many. The Jags are certainly not ingrained in Jacksonvilles blood.

Sure anythings a possibility but relocating the Bills would cause an absolutely massive uproar, and I think it's clear that there are a lot of people very committed to keeping the Bills put.

The real truth is it doesn't matter what any of us think. It only matters what the of 31 owners think. Ralph can't even sell the team without there permission. If the Jery jones, and Bob Krafts of the world think it's important to have a team in Buffalo, the Bills will stay. If not, they will leave and we will all be helpless to stop then.