What Changes Would You Make in 2012?

MacAddict104

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the draft goes, I think the Bills still need to go "best player available", with only minor exceptions. I think you can make a case for DB, DE, LB, LT, WR and OL. Sigh.

You stated that much more succinctly than I did but I agree 100%. Problem is you can't get that many difference makers in the draft. If we are lucky 1 or 2 of those guys might already be on the roster but haven't developed. If we are lucky we may be able to get 1 or 2 of those guys in the draft. If we get off our ass and sign and PAY some free agents we could get a few more and make our own luck.

Or stated another way. Winning teams keep their good players and fill their holes with new talent. Losing teams make new holes by letting their good players leave and keep filling the same ones over and over and over and over.

This post epitomizes the Buffalo Bills for the past decade.

My hopes will be mostly based on assuming the same or close enough to the same roster as this years with some major changes to positions.

Starting on the defensive side of the ball I'd say that whoever our DC is it would be better off sticking with a 4-3. We not only don't have the personel to run a 3-4 we are much better suited for a killer 4-3 on the line.

Dareus and Williams are both better 4-3 DTs than 3-4 DTs or DEs.

Kelsey is a much better 4-3 DE On a bad day than a 3-4 OLB on his best day.

Merriman will be kept for situational pass rushing situations similar to hoe the Jets use Maybin. This is how both of these guys should have been used with us. It's a shame that it's so simple for the Jets yet we couldn't figure it out. Really just males me think Maybin didn't want to be here or put the time and effort into Buffalo sports.

McGee will probably not be cut. His career is over and he'll retire. If not then he will be cut. Williams slides right into his spot. Rodgers slides into the 4th DB spot behind Williams, Florence, McKelvin. After that were looking at the draft. Possibly someone early on draft day.

Barnett, Shephard, Batten will be battling out starting positions for the LBs possibly with an early draft pick in the mix. Who ends up at which position will be up in the air until mid camps.

The remainder of the Def stays the same for the most part. Byrd, Wilson at the S spots with Searcy spelling on occassion. Possibly a DE in the draft early or you'll see Edwards and Johnson fighting for those spots on the DL.

On the offensive side you'll see some of the following. (I hope)

after this Jets game I think you'll see Brad Smith moved into the WR role on a primary basis. Chan knows his experiment for Smith in trick plays is a major failed experiment or you would have seen more by now. In fact with him as a WR with even a bit of production it opens up more trick plays that might actually work. End arounds, with options to throw, option plays at QB, keeping him on the field full time in the #2 WR spot makes the defense respect that when he's on the field it's not always a QB run to the left 80% of the time. I'm really hoping Smith produces for the rest of the year enough to at least show he's a weapon as a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th WR for next season.

Roscoe is done!!!! Thank god. I've hated him for too many years and I can't stand all the love for a guy that weighs 170 lbs with pads on and has ankles as skinny as pencils. He gets injured. That's the only constant thing he has ever done and he's done that to perfection.

Stevie I hope is here next year. If he doesn't get a new deal done I'd expect the Bills to franchise him. They have no one else to use it on. Maybe Pears, certainly not Bell because the LT tag would be entirely too much. Give Stevie the tag, make him prove one more year he's not just a short term producer. At tuis rate he's about on pace to put up similar numbers to last year.

Nelson is a beast. He needs to get more and more chances. He just reminds me so much of Myles Austin in Dallas it's rediculous. Chandler is another monster, he needs to get more and more time.

The OL will be back for the most part. Pears will be resigned. Rhinehardt will be resigned. We will either sign Bell or be done with his experiment and Chan believes Hairston is our future. He's looked really good sometimes this year. Other times he's looked like a rookie, but he's played well enough to challenge for the starting job. He's a monster and might be our big man in the left for many years. I'd expect 2 draft picks on the line. One at C/OG and one at OT/OG. Enough to give us depth on the line at all positions.

Spiller will steal carries from Freddy going forward. His yards/carry is up this year and he's gotten and will have to learn to get better at pass blocking for the rest of this year. He will be given much more of a chance next year to show he's our future. Meanwhile, Jackson will have problems keeping healthy enough to play every down. He's getting old, he's getting nicked up.

It might be our beat year ever in FA to pick up a real number 1 or number 2 (depending on how you see Stevie J) WR. Nix has a history with Vincent Jackson and Gailey has a history with Dwayne Bowe. I would love to see either/both picked up and think it's not far from thought. If this is our only FA move in the offseason I'd consider this a very good FA period. It would be a huge splash and a huge upgrade for us at a much needed position and ine of these 2 dominant recievers would be huge.

These are my thoughts and hopes and I believe they could help turn this thing around completely just with subtle changes to what we already have. Enjoy. Flame. Let's hear it.

Man I really don't want to consider the idea of moving back to a 4 - 3. It's not like we will all of a sudden become any better by changing scheme on defense. I would actually be worried that we would get worse. Change takes time as we are seeing in our second year of the 3 - 4. If our scheme is constantly in flux we won't be good for another few years.

I do agree with some 4 - 3 looks however. A 3-4, 4-3 hybrid could be the best of both worlds and some defenses will employ both although being predominately one or the other. Other than KW and Dareus we don't have any other DTs to speak of that I can think of. Troup is terrible at NT and I don't know that he would be any better at DT which leaves Heard. We would have to spend draft picks and or acquire free agents to go back to the 4 - 3. This doesn't even take into consideration how it may impact defenders we just drafted and picked up in free agency to play the 3 - 4 over the last 2 years.

At the 4-3 DE position however we have a bunch of guys that could get the job done.

Man I really don't want to consider the idea of moving back to a 4 - 3. It's not like we will all of a sudden become any better by changing scheme on defense. I would actually be worried that we would get worse. Change takes time as we are seeing in our second year of the 3 - 4. If our scheme is constantly in flux we won't be good for another few years.

I do agree with some 4 - 3 looks however. A 3-4, 4-3 hybrid could be the best of both worlds and some defenses will employ both although being predominately one or the other. Other than KW and Dareus we don't have any other DTs to speak of that I can think of. Troup is terrible at NT and I don't know that he would be any better at DT which leaves Heard. We would have to spend draft picks and or acquire free agents to go back to the 4 - 3. This doesn't even take into consideration how it may impact defenders we just drafted and picked up in free agency to play the 3 - 4 over the last 2 years.

At the 4-3 DE position however we have a bunch of guys that could get the job done.

Troup is terrible because his back is bad. Ever have a bad back? You can`t do anything athletic. Lets see how he heals. Once a bad back,always a bad back,from what I`ve seen.Feel for the kid.

Troup is terrible because his back is bad. Ever have a bad back? You can`t do anything athletic. Lets see how he heals. Once a bad back,always a bad back,from what I`ve seen.Feel for the kid.

Yes I have. It sucks. I DO feel bad for the kid but sympathy doesn't a NT make. I don't mean to sound harsh because injuries are the worst thing that can happen to any athlete. Unfortunately that doesn't help us win games.