Chan Gaily Conference dtd 11/23

JTO

Have anyone of you Bills fan had a chance to listen to Chans conference today? He made a comment about how the team is in trouble if they get hurt too easily and not be able to respond and in trouble if after coming this far they require a motivational speech. Not sure if he was implying it or just throwing it out there so that the team can draw there own conclusions. To me it seemed that he was implying it. The way I see it is that this team is done for the year and will not win another game. You can take that to the bank.

Have anyone of you Bills fan had a chance to listen to Chans conference today? He made a comment about how the team is in trouble if they get hurt too easily and not be able to respond and in trouble if after coming this far they require a motivational speech. Not sure if he was implying it or just throwing it out there so that the team can draw there own conclusions. To me it seemed that he was implying it. The way I see it is that this team is done for the year and will not win another game. You can take that to the bank.

I listened to some of it...

Chan is an honest guy and I think he was just stating the facts...

Starters are injured

Depth players are injured

F$tzmonies can't throw over 30 yards...

Yes, this team could be done...

:huh:

I watched that, and he seems resigned to the fact that the playoffs are out of reach. He doesn't have the same intensity. I sense he is thinking about next year, and developing the guys that are playing right now. Frankly, I don't blame him, and respect that he is still working on the team, just with different goals. I wonder if the Coach, Owner, Front Office, etc., have had a meeting and agreed to write off the playoffs, and concentrate on player development. Sure feels like it.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

After watching it, I've come to the conclusion that Chan's main problem as a head coach, and with this team in particular, is that he has no connection to them. It sounds like he has no idea of what they're thinking, how they're feeling, what motivates them. Nor does it sound like he cares.

Name me one Superbowl winning head coach in the modern NFL (say last twenty years) who did not have an emotional connection to his team?

This is the reason why we'e getting blown out by the likes of the Miami Dolphins. Injuries will lose you football games, having players perceive that you don't care about them will get you blown out of the building.

I know people here don't want to believe this and will be angry at me for dissing Chan, but NFL players are passionate by nature. If they feel you are cold and uncaring they will shut it down. I know that Chan cares, but I think he's just the type of guy who keep that sort of stuff bottled up inside. It's why he was made to be a coordinator and not an NFL head coach.

After watching it, I've come to the conclusion that Chan's main problem as a head coach, and with this team in particular, is that he has no connection to them. It sounds like he has no idea of what they're thinking, how they're feeling, what motivates them. Nor does it sound like he cares.

Name me one Superbowl winning head coach in the modern NFL (say last twenty years) who did not have an emotional connection to his team?

This is the reason why we'e getting blown out by the likes of the Miami Dolphins. Injuries will lose you football games, having players perceive that you don't care about them will get you blown out of the building.

I know people here don't want to believe this and will be angry at me for dissing Chan, but NFL players are passionate by nature. If they feel you are cold and uncaring they will shut it down. I know that Chan cares, but I think he's just the type of guy who keep that sort of stuff bottled up inside. It's why he was made to be a coordinator and not an NFL head coach.

I disagree. I think he is doing a good job and that they respond to him. I can tell the difference between this presser and the earlier ones (even after losses) RIGHT AWAY. At this point though, c'mon.....it's over man. The reason they got blown out by the Dolphins is because they realize it's over. We know it's over. They know it's over. The Dolphins, Jets, etc., all know it's over.

IT'S OVER!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

looks like the team gave up 3 weeks ago...i gotta wonder if Gailey and Nix are now resigned for a particular player in this up coming draft. Should they tank the rest of the season they might have an honest shot at a top player they must have their eyes on

Bills 5-5 and 6 games to go 11-5 or more likely 5-11

Miami 3-7 will win more games, still don't think Sparano will be there after this year+

Cleve 4-6 will win more games +

Jax 3-7 will win more games, good defense +

Indy 0-10 working on Andy Luck, won't win a game per Polian----

KC 4-6 will win more games +

SD 4-6 will win more games +

Philly 4-6 will win more games+

Washington 3-7 will win more, but not enough-

Minn 2-8 will win more but not enough-

Tampa Bay 4-6 will win more games +

Carolina 2-8 will win more nut not enough-

Arizona 3-7 will win more games but not enough-

St Louis will win more but not enough-

they could get the 6th pick or 14th at the worst...biggest needs OT-OLB

I swear, if these two :censored: don't get it that you can't win with a substandard O line by now...this regime will never win!

I swear, if these two :censored: don't get it that you can't win with a substandard O line by now...this regime will never win!

They put together a decent line, they just didn't have any depth. There are lots of holes. I think if they can find one new starter on the O-line, they will be alright. The top pick will hopefully yield a top-notch OLB.

They are 4 new starters (upgrades) away from a very good team.

OLB, CB, WR, OL.

It's not an impossible task to fill those holes in one off-season. Of course, they have to be committed to improving though...

They put together a decent line, they just didn't have any depth. There are lots of holes. I think if they can find one new starter on the O-line, they will be alright. The top pick will hopefully yield a top-notch OLB.

They are 4 new starters (upgrades) away from a very good team.

OLB, CB, WR, OL.

It's not an impossible task to fill those holes in one off-season. Of course, they have to be committed to improving though...

Great post. People act like all of a sudden this team sucks. They ARE a solid team. The O-line is developing - just no depth like you said, or more the fact that the depth chart is unexperienced on the whole.

A good draft and a smart, hopefully aggressive free agency will put the Bills up into the top 3 in the AFC in my opinion. But can we find guys who don't get injured constantly? Also, hopefully we lock up the rest of our trio on offense. Freddy J and Stevie.

No depth and we knew that.. Pass rush needs to be improved Meeriman's injury didn't help either. I say continue to develop our young guys and draft only ACC/SEC players for our DEF/OFF line.. Yes, know one wants to say it but we need to get bigger upfront on Def.

Great post. People act like all of a sudden this team sucks. They ARE a solid team. The O-line is developing - just no depth like you said, or more the fact that the depth chart is unexperienced on the whole.

A good draft and a smart, hopefully aggressive free agency will put the Bills up into the top 3 in the AFC in my opinion. But can we find guys who don't get injured constantly? Also, hopefully we lock up the rest of our trio on offense. Freddy J and Stevie.

Yet, let's not forget the last regime where Dick Jauron was frequently lauded and defended ardently by some because he kept the team playing well enough to keep the scores close and even sneak out a win here and there despite lengthy IR lists.

Actually, the O-line has played much better than everybody expected. I think Urbik, Pears, and Reinhart are all good/average pro's. I wonder about the left tackle a little...Bell can play, but is hurt way to much (the second coming of Jonas Jennings) And, obviously, we need a backup center....although we will see, maybe Urbik can do it this weekend. And, the rookie from Clemson, he got undressed last weekend....not a believer in him at this point. So, I guess I have to agree we need at least one more quality OL guy. (I was hoping I could talk myself into disagreeing)

There are so many opportunities for people to be on the fence with this team. They start out fast and had, at, I believe, week 8, like a 75% chance of making the playoffs, and now there seems to be no chance. Does that make them all of a sudden a terrible, gutless team, or, is it just that they weren't good enough from the beginning to make it deep into the playoffs?

Injuries - we've seen a good number of them for what seems like the last five years or so, more than the usual team gets, I'd say, and quite a bit more in certain years. Does that mean we have a lousy strength and conditioning dept., or that our players are weak. soft, or much less talented than our opponents (as some would have you believe), or, is that just total random, chance?

Drafting - do we have a much better or worse statistical record of player development than other teams? Certainly our first rounders have not been great. Yet, is it that they're busts, or were they drafted by the wrong team? Sooner or later one has to ask - does Buffalo misrepresent players, in that they don't get a fair shot at developing under a legitimate system? We've seen a bunch of players walk here and make it elsewhere... so, maybe it is some of the latter, and some of the former?

On and on, we can argue and hey, we don't have much of a choice, if we're already Bills fans then we're pretty much stuck with the most frustrating franchise in sports. What luck we'd have if our team suddenly went to pieces the one year our Franchise and Historically great QB gets surgery and his future is in doubt, and we are perfectly lined up to grab the next great QB... thirty years of great QB play with only one winless season sandwiched in. That would be Luck.

Where do I land on these questions? - I'm of the opinion that Gailey and Nix short changed themselves from the beginning. I don't think they anticipated being as good as they were mid-season, and I think they expected another season of sub-play. I think they were envisioning another draft before they had to start being accountable. That explains why they went into a season having one player - a starter, no less, be both the starter and backup for another position. That is a real err in judgement. Not to mention they send off the true backup we had on account of $. They screwed themselves with the O-line. So, for those who say, "It's a depth issue, not a talent one. We simply don't have enough depth" - I'm there to counter, Other coaches have done more with less, but it takes the whole franchise being on board with winning, and if Nix and Gailey wanted to be sure they were ready for the worst, they wouldn't have bet the season on their players staying healthy - but they did, and I say it's because they gave themselves 3 years before they were going to be accountable for winning here.

To me, that just shows the difference in attitude between SanFran's coach and ours - SanFrans coach went into the season Truly Believing he could win, and his players play like it. Our coach went into the season saying he thought he could win every game, while at the same time stacking the odds against it.

There are so many opportunities for people to be on the fence with this team. They start out fast and had, at, I believe, week 8, like a 75% chance of making the playoffs, and now there seems to be no chance. Does that make them all of a sudden a terrible, gutless team, or, is it just that they weren't good enough from the beginning to make it deep into the playoffs?

Injuries - we've seen a good number of them for what seems like the last five years or so, more than the usual team gets, I'd say, and quite a bit more in certain years. Does that mean we have a lousy strength and conditioning dept., or that our players are weak. soft, or much less talented than our opponents (as some would have you believe), or, is that just total random, chance?

Drafting - do we have a much better or worse statistical record of player development than other teams? Certainly our first rounders have not been great. Yet, is it that they're busts, or were they drafted by the wrong team? Sooner or later one has to ask - does Buffalo misrepresent players, in that they don't get a fair shot at developing under a legitimate system? We've seen a bunch of players walk here and make it elsewhere... so, maybe it is some of the latter, and some of the former?

On and on, we can argue and hey, we don't have much of a choice, if we're already Bills fans then we're pretty much stuck with the most frustrating franchise in sports. What luck we'd have if our team suddenly went to pieces the one year our Franchise and Historically great QB gets surgery and his future is in doubt, and we are perfectly lined up to grab the next great QB... thirty years of great QB play with only one winless season sandwiched in. That would be Luck.

Where do I land on these questions? - I'm of the opinion that Gailey and Nix short changed themselves from the beginning. I don't think they anticipated being as good as they were mid-season, and I think they expected another season of sub-play. I think they were envisioning another draft before they had to start being accountable. That explains why they went into a season having one player - a starter, no less, be both the starter and backup for another position. That is a real err in judgement. Not to mention they send off the true backup we had on account of $. They screwed themselves with the O-line. So, for those who say, "It's a depth issue, not a talent one. We simply don't have enough depth" - I'm there to counter, Other coaches have done more with less, but it takes the whole franchise being on board with winning, and if Nix and Gailey wanted to be sure they were ready for the worst, they wouldn't have bet the season on their players staying healthy - but they did, and I say it's because they gave themselves 3 years before they were going to be accountable for winning here.

To me, that just shows the difference in attitude between SanFran's coach and ours - SanFrans coach went into the season Truly Believing he could win, and his players play like it. Our coach went into the season saying he thought he could win every game, while at the same time stacking the odds against it.

Are you serious that you think a coach and GM would intentionally go into multiple seasons with the plan to "stay bad"? That only after 3 years of staying bad would they then attempt to lift themselves up off the mat? Really?

To carry your comparison forward a millimeter: what do you think players around the NFL think of Jim Harbaugh? He didn't take the 49ers job to lay face down on the mat for 3 years. He got to work immediately, and taking the talent on the roster, with a few free agents, etc. has turned a bunch of losers on their ear and got them winning. Do you think players that are committed to excellence would want to play for a coach like that or for an organization that tells itself that procrastinating for 3 years before doing anything is acceptable?

Here's where I land on your assertions. I don't think Gailey is at all interested in coaching a laughingstock. He knows he doesn't have a bunch more chances lining up and that he needs to win. I do think Nix believes in the plan of building exclusively through the draft, which would not be a bad plan for a small market team if only that team had the scouting department to pull it off. But, you can't build through the draft and garbage heap recycles if you whiff more than you bunt to get on base.

Team isn't giving up. They physically can't compete anymore. Honestly what team could without their best defensive player, the best player on the offensive line, the LT, the teams MVP, the starting 5 WR's, the SS, and only guy that was able to rush the passer all on IR or missing practice time this week. The season is over. At least this year I said that in November and not September.

The starting center will be luckly to be back by the start of next seasone and now will have had a torn ACL and a broken leg. Bell has missed more games than he has played. Levitre may be an All-Pro LG. The rest are cannon fodder.

Team isn't giving up. They physically can't compete anymore. Honestly what team could without their best defensive player, the best player on the offensive line, the LT, the teams MVP, the starting 5 WR's, the SS, and only guy that was able to rush the passer all on IR or missing practice time this week. The season is over. At least this year I said that in November and not September.

The starting center will be luckly to be back by the start of next seasone and now will have had a torn ACL and a broken leg. Bell has missed more games than he has played. Levitre may be an All-Pro LG. The rest are cannon fodder.

It will be interesting to see how Urbik does at center this week (thinking about next year) I totally disagree about your talent assessment of this line.....

Bell - When healthy plays well.....the fact that he was injuried might play to our advantage as far as keeping him....as a backup left tackle

How often do BOTH of your left tackles go down in a season?

Hairston is a good player now with what looks to be a very high season...I think he really is the LT of the future for this team....love the way he plays

Levitre is our best OL

Wood....has had the injuries but also looks to be showing as a quick healer.....I still think he is the guy at the pivot....it will however be important to keep a guard at the ready that can step in at Center which is why I hope Urbik shows well on Sunday.....Rhinehadt has shown to be a servicable guard

Why the hate for Pears....Pears has played very well all season and been durable.....I dont understand the problem here

No what the Bills need on the OL is to sign the guys they have and bring in another quality interior guy that can man both guard spots. I think we are still good here.

The problem is not the offensive line......the problem is receivers that cannot beat the jam that the defenses have started to use and guys like Donald Jones need to be replaced with guys that can take advantage of a jam at the LOS......

And of course if this defense could stop ANYBODY.....this would not be as big of a concern. It all starts with the Defense and the pass rush in particular.

Tom Coughlin

You guys read way too much into press conferences. It's like Philly fans trying to pull relevant facts from an Andy Reid presser.

Professionals don't give up when things get tough, especially when future contracts, playing time and incentives are on the line. If anything, the motivation to do well is greater at this juncture than at any other point so far. Fitzpatrick needs to earn his deal otherwise he could be cut in theory. Spiller needs to avoid bust-ville. Guys like Williams, Searcy, Hairston, Aiken...want to earn their way. If you are Nix and Gailey, you don't want to tank on a team who's owner is 90+ years old, and an ownership change could occur at any moment. Winning is job security. Not player development.

On a practical note, "player development" is a major loss in revenue when selling tickets is already difficult with a team still in the playoff hunt. You want fans buying all the new jerseys and merch, buying tickets and willingly handing money over to your business in support of the team.

The season is not over.