Any "Cruisers" out there?

PaattMaann

2) Bring Dress Clothes, or at least a Suit Jacket for a Guy. There will likely be a "Formal" night. Different cruise lines have different rules, but you may not be able to eat in the dining hall on formal night if you dont have a jacket.

3) Try to not over-pack. Easier said than done. No need to bring Beach Towels.

On the cruise I went on...

2) Skipped the formal nights because we didn't want to pack extra clothes just for 2 dinner nights. Instead one night we did room service, the other the buffet.

3) Agreed. Our ship (a Princess cruise) there was a a small laundry down the hall, 3 washers, 3 dryers, that we used instead of packing enough clothes for two weeks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the cruise I went on...

2) Skipped the formal nights because we didn't want to pack extra clothes just for 2 dinner nights. Instead one night we did room service, the other the buffet.

3) Agreed. Our ship (a Princess cruise) there was a a small laundry down the hall, 3 washers, 3 dryers, that we used instead of packing enough clothes for two weeks.

I actually kinda like the formal nights. The extra packing sucks, but it's nice to get all dressed up for a fancy meal. That's the night they usually have steak and lobster. :)

Speaking of food -- keep in mind that when in the formal dining hall, you can ask for ANYTHING you want and you'll get it if it's available. Not sure if you want the steak or seafood? Get both! Want shrimp cocktail but it's not on the menu? Ask for it anyway, and if they have shrimp, you'll get it. On our Med cruise, the guy from Rochester really wanted vanilla ice cream with caramel. The ship didn't have any caramel sauce on board! So what happened? The waiter told the chefs about it and the next day they made him homemade caramel sauce - and did that every night for the rest of the cruise. Cruises offer little things like that.

Also while you don't need cash onboard most of the time - you DO need it to tip room service folks. Room service is free though.

Speaking of food -- keep in mind that when in the formal dining hall, you can ask for ANYTHING you want and you'll get it if it's available.

On our cruise they had the formal dining room and 4 other "special" dining rooms. You could order anything from any of the dining rooms no matter which one you were in. My ex had special dietary concerns, so she would make her menu selections the night before, so they would have her food ready when we arrived, and not have to wait for it to be made each night.

how is it "no cash needed" on the boat yet drinks are 6-7 dollars a pop? what do they just charge your account or something? I wonder how that would work if this trip is being paid for as a prize....

also...1000 for an excursion??????? hahahaha, there is no way in hell I will be doing ANY excursions if it costs me a grand, illl just hang around the Ports and enjoy my time on the ship if thats the case

how is it "no cash needed" on the boat yet drinks are 6-7 dollars a pop? what do they just charge your account or something? I wonder how that would work if this trip is being paid for as a prize....

also...1000 for an excursion??????? hahahaha, there is no way in hell I will be doing ANY excursions if it costs me a grand, illl just hang around the Ports and enjoy my time on the ship if thats the case

If it's like Princess, when you go through the boarding process you'll give them a credit card for incidentals. Your room key is then tied to that CC for anything that you charge to your room. Your room key was also you ID card for the ship, it would have your name and room number. So when getting drinks at the bar, you show them your card and they charge it to your room. When leaving the ship in port, you would scan it as you got off, then again when coming back on, so they knew if you were back on before leaving port. Anytime during the cruise we could go to the pursers desk and review our bill as it was to that point.

Check out the different excursions and see if there's anything else you'd like to do. We did some fun ones for under $100/person. Note that the cheap ones sell out quick though. We also had fun just hanging out around the port.

Oh, and in case you haven't done it yet, sign up for their frequent cruiser program if they have one.

Well keep in mind that the $1000 was for my trip in Cairo. It was for two days and included all transportation around Cairo, a hotel room for the night at a REALLY fancy hotel (Obama stayed at the hotel when he visited Cairo), admission to the pyramids, a camel ride, the laser light show, all meals, the museum, and more. And that was for two people, so only $500/each. Well worth it.

Most excursions won't cost anywhere near that much since you won't be spending the night. The only other ones that I've paid a lot for was the helicopter ride to the glacier where they train for the Iditarod. I think that was like $300-$400.

Jack explained the onboard charging of stuff for you. You can review your balance on the TV in your stateroom too on RCCL.

Oh, and in case you haven't done it yet, sign up for their frequent cruiser program if they have one.

Definitely do this! Even if you don't think you'll ever cruise again, you might and by signing up, you get free stuff, preferred treatment, coupon books, etc.

Well keep in mind that the $1000 was for my trip in Cairo. It was for two days and included all transportation around Cairo, a hotel room for the night at a REALLY fancy hotel (Obama stayed at the hotel when he visited Cairo), admission to the pyramids, a camel ride, the laser light show, all meals, the museum, and more. And that was for two people, so only $500/each. Well worth it.

Most excursions won't cost anywhere near that much since you won't be spending the night. The only other ones that I've paid a lot for was the helicopter ride to the glacier where they train for the Iditarod. I think that was like $300-$400.

Jack explained the onboard charging of stuff for you. You can review your balance on the TV in your stateroom too on RCCL.

Definitely do this! Even if you don't think you'll ever cruise again, you might and by signing up, you get free stuff, preferred treatment, coupon books, etc.

ohhh ok, yea that makes sense then, thats worth 500 a person for 2 days around Cairo...we would obviously just be doing day excursions or whatever and would probably book through cruise

We never cut things too close, so it's never been an issue.

I remember in Barbados we got a tip on cruise critic to take the public bus to this one great beach. We walked .5 mile from the port with our snorkel packs, caught the bus (paid $1.50 each way), and ended up at this sweet snorkeling beach. We spent the whole day there, and watched 3 ship excursions come and go during that entire time. Saved hundreds of dollars and got to spend 3X the amount of time hanging out.

We've done this 3 times in St. Thomas--taking a cab to Red Hook ferry and going to St. John's. The cab/ferry fares are expensive, but nothing beats the beaches in St. John, imo. If you do it on your own, you get to spend 6 hours there, as opposed to the 2 hours by doing the excursion.

Not saying we haven't done a ship excursion or two, but if you plan ahead, you can really do some great things in the ports but at a fraction of the cost.

wowwww, that is awesome, 6 hours as opposed to 2 hours is a HUGE swing, and saving money to boot....good tips for sure..ill def. check out cruise critic for things in the Med. like that

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to a "balcony" room unless you're going to be close to land. A window is good enough because you're hardly ever in your cabin anyway.

I did the western Med earlier this year. This will be the trip of your life - open your mind and learn to say please and thank you in the home language of the ports you visit. Have a blast. But research EVERYTHING (especially "transfers") first and don't be afraid to use public transportation on land - PACK LIGHT!

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to a "balcony" room unless you're going to be close to land. A window is good enough because you're hardly ever in your cabin anyway.

I did the western Med earlier this year. This will be the trip of your life - open your mind and learn to say please and thank you in the home language of the ports you visit. Have a blast. But research EVERYTHING (especially "transfers") first and don't be afraid to use public transportation on land - PACK LIGHT!

See...this is a preference thing. I have heard countless people say "A window is good enough because you're hardly ever in your cabin anyway."

My wife and I are the EXACT OPPOSITE. We enjoy sitting on our private balcony reading a book and watching the ocean go by. We enjoy sitting out there at night, smelling the salt water with only the moonlight and stars above us. Needless to say, we spend a good amount of our time on our balcony. For us it is DEFINITELY worth it, and we could never cruise without one. But clearly there is an alternative position, and it all depends on your personal preference.

But then again, we are probably the worst passengers on a cruise line! We dont drink (much), We dont gamble (at all). We dont eat in the specialty resturaunts because we dont see the point when the dining room is so good. We DO get the ship excursions because we like the safety factor of getting back to the boat. Basically when we get our bill, its Tips and maybe a t-shirt or something...they must hate us :)

yikes i see a thread title "cruisers out there?" , i am thinking, oh no they are freaking out in the streets after this latest loss and someone is looking for police cruisers ......:blush:

:lol:

I thought we were talking bikes...oh well. I've never been on a cruise and the wife and I have been talking about doing one, so this has been educational. :thumbsup:

My wife and I are the EXACT OPPOSITE. We enjoy sitting on our private balcony reading a book and watching the ocean go by. We enjoy sitting out there at night, smelling the salt water with only the moonlight and stars above us. Needless to say, we spend a good amount of our time on our balcony. For us it is DEFINITELY worth it, and we could never cruise without one. But clearly there is an alternative position, and it all depends on your personal preference.

For a longer cruise I completely agree. But did you see their itinerary? It's like 7am-7pm every day but one. When they get back from excursions, they will get ready for dinner, see a show, maybe dance, then go to bed for the next 7am excursion. In that case, I don't think it's worth it for one day.

For cruises with more sea days, or shorter excursions, definitely!

Speaking of balconys, if you're not a smoker, and getting a balcony, try getting one closer to the front of the ship. I used to have a subscription to a cruise travel magazine and a lot of people would write in complaining about people smoking on their balconies. One solution was to try to get a room closer to the front of the ship, since the smoke would travel towards the back.

And while discussing room placement, are either of you prone to motion sickness? I've heard being near the middle of the ship will help. And there's some motion sickness patch you can get that goes behind the ear that is supposed to help.

Speaking of balconys, if you're not a smoker, and getting a balcony, try getting one closer to the front of the ship. I used to have a subscription to a cruise travel magazine and a lot of people would write in complaining about people smoking on their balconies. One solution was to try to get a room closer to the front of the ship, since the smoke would travel towards the back.

And while discussing room placement, are either of you prone to motion sickness? I've heard being near the middle of the ship will help. And there's some motion sickness patch you can get that goes behind the ear that is supposed to help.

Oh, good points.

If you get seasick, you want a room as close to the middle and as low to the water as possible since those are the most "stable." The ship usually doesn't rock that much, but if the weather is bad it can.

They sell acupuncture bracelets to help with seasickness - don't buy them, I think they're a waste. Lots of people use the dots, like Jack mentioned. Another thing people do is to buy motion sickness medicine and take half a tablet a day and start that a couple of days before you get on the ship. It makes you drowsy, so take them before bed, but it works. (a tip we learned on Cruise Critic).

I havent posted an itinerary for my trip (b/c I dont have it yet) so I dont know what your talking about haha...but yea it will probably be not much "boat time" - and I am NOT upgrading to a balcony/window room if im not given one..this is a FREE TRIP and im cheap

but thanks for the tips haha

Oh, good points.

If you get seasick, you want a room as close to the middle and as low to the water as possible since those are the most "stable." The ship usually doesn't rock that much, but if the weather is bad it can.

They sell acupressure bracelets to help with seasickness - don't buy them, I think they're a waste. Lots of people use the dots, like Jack mentioned. Another thing people do is to buy motion sickness medicine and take half a tablet a day and start that a couple of days before you get on the ship. It makes you drowsy, so take them before bed, but it works. (a tip we learned on Cruise Critic).

Fixed

I havent posted an itinerary for my trip (b/c I dont have it yet) so I dont know what your talking about haha...but yea it will probably be not much "boat time" - and I am NOT upgrading to a balcony/window room if im not given one..this is a FREE TRIP and im cheap

but thanks for the tips haha

Jack did the research and said this is probably your itinerary:

http://www.cruiseroyalcaribbean.com/sc.do?d=05/01/2012&d2=05/31/2012&i=869880&c=44&v=561&IncludeAlumniRates=false&IncludeSeniorRates=false&zipcode=ZipCode&statecode=&dsc=y

They only have so many different cruises in each area. :)

Jack did the research and said this is probably your itinerary:

http://www.cruiseroyalcaribbean.com/sc.do?d=05/01/2012&d2=05/31/2012&i=869880&c=44&v=561&IncludeAlumniRates=false&IncludeSeniorRates=false&zipcode=ZipCode&statecode=&dsc=y

They only have so many different cruises in each area. :)

ahhhhh excellent...my fault, dont know how I missed that from Jack, 12 hours seems like a longgg time in port, should be able to do just about anything, good stuff