Falcons go for it on 4th on their own 29 in OT?!?

bbb

Was there some extenuating circumstances? I can't believe you would go for it in OT on your own 29. Of course, they didn't make it and the game was over with a chip shot.

Smith knew this loss was on him.

John Kasay kicked a 26-yard field goal in overtime after the Atlanta coach decided to go for it on fourth down deep in his own territory Sunday, a decision that backfired horribly and handed the New Orleans Saints a 26-23 victory over the Falcons.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311113001

From a statistics perspective it is the correct call. Even more so when you have to punt the ball back to Brees and company in the overtime - who is likely to get into field goal range with that potent offense.

I don't have a problem with going for it there on 4th down and keeping control of the game. My only issue is play calling in that situation. You do a QB sneak or play action pass. No handing the ball off to the back.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

From a statisics perspective it is the correct call. Even more so when you have to punt the ball back to Brees and company in the overtime - who is likely to get into field goal range.

I don't have a problem with going for it there on 4th down, my only issue is that you do QB sneak or playaction. No handing the ball off do the back.

I agree on all counts. The handoff to Turner was so slow developing that the play never had a chance unless the Falcons O-line completely blew the Saints off the line... and they didn't even come close.

That's a decision you make in a video game, not in OT against a division foe in reality. Smith is going to be torched for that one, and he rightly should. Furthermore, he basically shows zero faith in his defense by going that route.

It was flatly a bizarre choice. It got compared to Belichick's 4th and 2 move a few years ago, but that play, if successful, would have been decisive. This was just a risky way to get 1st and 10 on the 30.

Exactly. How do the stats back that up. Ballgame vs. your still on your own 30?

That's a decision you make in a video game, not in OT against a division foe in reality. Smith is going to be torched for that one, and he rightly should. Furthermore, he basically shows zero faith in his defense by going that route.

Agreed. They had just stopped the Saints on the prior possession, but now they lack all confidence that they could possibly do that again? You punt it to them, you've got plenty of field to get your needed stop. Maybe you don't and they score, that's the risk, but you likely get several chances for stops. Instead, you gamble it all on one play, because if you don't get the first - you hand them the win with a big bow-tie on top. Bone-head move.

I would have gone for it, just as I would have gone for it on fourth and short today. You know your D can't stop what's coming anyway, so why voluntarily give them the ball? No problem with the decision. The play call was stupid, though.

I would have gone for it, just as I would have gone for it on fourth and short today. You know your D can't stop what's coming anyway, so why voluntarily give them the ball? No problem with the decision. The play call was stupid, though.

What do you mean you know your D can't stop what's coming anyway? They had just held them a three and out on NO's first possession and NO scoring 23 points in 60 minutes of regulation wasn't exactly a can't stop them situation.

From a statistics perspective it is the correct call. Even more so when you have to punt the ball back to Brees and company in the overtime - who is likely to get into field goal range with that potent offense.

I don't have a problem with going for it there on 4th down and keeping control of the game. My only issue is play calling in that situation. You do a QB sneak or play action pass. No handing the ball off to the back.

All of the backlash that Smith will take is pretty much a prime example of why coaches are and will continue to be cowards. If they punt and give up a FG he takes zero blame but now it's 100% on him and none on the players.

As it should be........I'd like to see that stats that says this is the correct call. In OT. On the 29.

10-15 more yards and I have been saying go for it. Not there. Not then.

You nailed it.

Do you subscribe to the Mike Schoop theory that you should never punt?

As it should be........I'd like to see that stats that says this is the correct call. In OT. On the 29.

10-15 more yards and I have been saying go for it. Not there. Not then.

Do you subscribe to the Mike Schoop theory that you should never punt?

lol, I'm not to that extreme. However 4th and inches favors the offense HEAVILY especially if you do a QB sneak. Considering the circumstances, overtime and the opponent I have no problem with going for it there especially if you just get the QB to sneak the ball. I disagree with the choice of the play call though. So I don't agree entirely with Smith.

lol, I'm not to that extreme. However 4th and inches favors the offense HEAVILY especially if you do a QB sneak. Considering the circumstances, overtime and the opponent I have no problem with going for it there especially if you just get the QB to sneak the ball. I disagree with the choice of the play call though. So I don't agree entirely with Smith.

Yeah, I have always been a proponent of the quarterback sneak on very short yardage (inchage?).....At the games, my friends will as a joke ask me what I would do because they've been hearing what I want done for decades now.

Was there some extenuating circumstances? I can't believe you would go for it in OT on your own 29. Of course, they didn't make it and the game was over with a chip shot.

John Kasay kicked a 26-yard field goal in overtime after the Atlanta coach decided to go for it on fourth down deep in his own territory Sunday, a decision that backfired horribly and handed the New Orleans Saints a 26-23 victory over the Falcons.

For real? I missed the end of that game. Wow - what a way to waste a team's effort. Sheesh!

yep dumb move