They are who "WE" thought they were

Santana

WOOOOOSSSAAAAA (deep breath) WOOOOSSAAAA (deep breath), yeahhh that didn't do sh*t for my frustration level. This team is going through a learning process and it sucks but we are going to have to just deal with it. I mean this is a young inexperienced group of guys who had a little bit of success and obviously couldn't handle it. Although it sounds like a bullsh*t excuse, its the cold hard truth.

Lets start with the defense, shall we? Our defense is simply just flat. There's no aggression in how they play, its eerily reflective of how we were last year. The problem starts with our co-ordinator. George Edwards has to have to most simplistic defense is the NFL. He calls nothing that confuses the opposing quarterbacks. I mean its straight man to man, no blitz heads up defense. That might have worked in the 90's but offenses are way to complex for us to line up like that. The man to man thing is pointless if you do not have the dline to create pressure all by themselves. I like the move to Dareus inside but he needs help. D'wan isn't creating pressure, on the edge and that's with Dareus getting doubled 75% of the time. I'd like to see a lot more action from Moats. He's our most pure pass rusher, yet he's being used primarily as a coverage defender and run stopper? Our linebackers are decent but with no pressure or help up front of course they're going to look inadequate. Our secondary is getting beat every play regardless of coverage or pressure. They're playing on their heels and the separation they are giving opposing receivers is ridiculous. Playing 5-7 yards back on nearly every down is going to minimize the big pass but it also gets you crushed when receivers make a double move. When you play that far back you tend to bite on the first move a receiver makes which is what has been happening to us. Also the most important thing is there is no interruption in the timing of routes which is the most important thing.

On to the offense, where has it been? There's no rhythm anymore. Everyone has figured out the constant short slants that we run on every single play. I mean there needs to be little more sophistication in our playbook. Hell, even some trickery would be nice. I'd think by now we would be able to run a few more play action passes, a reverse with spiller every once in a while, maybe a flea flicker with brad smith? we aren't doing anything that is threatening the opponents defense. That chip is officially off of the shoulder of our offense and the coaching staff and players need to get it back on there. Where did the physical play go? where's that grungy attitude that they were playing with for the first 5 games? I'm not really sold on Donald Jones either. He's a streaky receiver, he's either playing good or completely like garbage. He was involved in 3 of the bills turnovers today (one was a turnover on downs).

Special teams- Someone needs to step it up here. Corey McIntyre you are the man. Moorman is play great and so was Lindell before he got injured.

Management- Nix has made some bad choices but he is at least trying. The Merriman deal was pointless, he doesn't deserve to be payed more than Fred Jackson. But you know what, he's at least getting guys in Buffalo who really want to play there so I commend him for that. Ralph is obviously the backbone to all the misery in Buffalo. There's nothing like having an owner who refuses to adapt to the times, he hasn't been able to do that in about 15 years. Whoever thought of that "Whiteout" was moronic if it was solely for the purpose of the fans to see their all white jerseys. Blue jerseys at home were working just fine. If it's not broken don't fix it!

I've been to Jerry's World and was wondering if the Bills would be overwhelmed by the moment and hoping they wouldn't. Then they proceeded to look more hapless than I ever would have imagined, starting with McKelvin trying for a pick in the endzone and having the receiver take the ball off his nose. Embarrassing, but OK, let's get the ball. Hey, no one is lined up on Ware on the first play from scrimmage guys! No worries, how good can he be. Let's call a pass. Oops!

I keep hearing apologies for Gailey and the play calling but I'm sorry, how can you cover when down 21-7 with plenty of time to go still in the first half going for it on 4th and 2 and taking 3 perfectly good points off the board (after trying a 52 yarder earlier with a brand new kicker picked off the ash heap). OK, Fred Jackson is averaging about 8 yards a carry through his 5 freaking carries so far, so pound the rock or dial up a play designed to get 2-4 yards. Stupid me, I didn't realize the call was to go 22 yards to the endzone on that situation to a blanketed, short in stature receiver. Who the hell decided on that play? Reminds me of Cincinnati game, when on 3 straight series with 3rd and 5 or less we threw 20+ yard passes on 7 step drops.

Now I'm watching NY Giants and San Fran, and see how Eli Manning can be made to look very good by the right play call in the right situation, making sure they get first downs knowing that touch downs will follow. Give me Coughlin calling the plays and shortening the game like the Gmen did against us in the Super Bowl. The Bills got away with this crap in the New England game because their defense is horrible, where they baited us into a passing shoot out from the first freaking play. Jackson was running well, Dallas' defensive weakness is against the run, yet we did not hardly use him at all before the game was way out of hand, and then it was too late. We became completely one dimensional. They showed a screen stat about half way through the game where the pass-happy (supposedly) Cowboys had a nice, balance 19-19 pass to run, and we were 20-10.

Wouldn't have changed this game outcome, but for God's sake, the coaching in this game and many others has been horrible. Defense is bad yes, but that is not what is causing the offensive problems. Our greedy and stupid play calling has us now walking away from a lot of points in the red zone (I was at the Jets game, same thing). Even the touchdown today was, in my view, the wrong call. 1st and goal from the 3, Jackson running wild, and what did we do? Two straight rollout pass plays, the 2nd fortunately working out. Who the hell are we fooling?

This road trip scared the hell out of me but the solace was that excepting the Jets game, they have not been blown out. Now two in a row.

I agree on the stupid white out thing too. I was at that game and hate the white uniforms.

WOOOOOSSSAAAAA (deep breath) WOOOOSSAAAA (deep breath), yeahhh that didn't do sh*t for my frustration level. This team is going through a learning process and it sucks but we are going to have to just deal with it. I mean this is a young inexperienced group of guys who had a little bit of success and obviously couldn't handle it. Although it sounds like a bullsh*t excuse, its the cold hard truth.

Lets start with the defense, shall we? Our defense is simply just flat. There's no aggression in how they play, its eerily reflective of how we were last year. The problem starts with our co-ordinator. George Edwards has to have to most simplistic defense is the NFL. He calls nothing that confuses the opposing quarterbacks. I mean its straight man to man, no blitz heads up defense. That might have worked in the 90's but offenses are way to complex for us to line up like that. The man to man thing is pointless if you do not have the dline to create pressure all by themselves. I like the move to Dareus inside but he needs help. D'wan isn't creating pressure, on the edge and that's with Dareus getting doubled 75% of the time. I'd like to see a lot more action from Moats. He's our most pure pass rusher, yet he's being used primarily as a coverage defender and run stopper? Our linebackers are decent but with no pressure or help up front of course they're going to look inadequate. Our secondary is getting beat every play regardless of coverage or pressure. They're playing on their heels and the separation they are giving opposing receivers is ridiculous. Playing 5-7 yards back on nearly every down is going to minimize the big pass but it also gets you crushed when receivers make a double move. When you play that far back you tend to bite on the first move a receiver makes which is what has been happening to us. Also the most important thing is there is no interruption in the timing of routes which is the most important thing.

On to the offense, where has it been? There's no rhythm anymore. Everyone has figured out the constant short slants that we run on every single play. I mean there needs to be little more sophistication in our playbook. Hell, even some trickery would be nice. I'd think by now we would be able to run a few more play action passes, a reverse with spiller every once in a while, maybe a flea flicker with brad smith? we aren't doing anything that is threatening the opponents defense. That chip is officially off of the shoulder of our offense and the coaching staff and players need to get it back on there. Where did the physical play go? where's that grungy attitude that they were playing with for the first 5 games? I'm not really sold on Donald Jones either. He's a streaky receiver, he's either playing good or completely like garbage. He was involved in 3 of the bills turnovers today (one was a turnover on downs).

Special teams- Someone needs to step it up here. Corey McIntyre you are the man. Moorman is play great and so was Lindell before he got injured.

Management- Nix has made some bad choices but he is at least trying. The Merriman deal was pointless, he doesn't deserve to be payed more than Fred Jackson. But you know what, he's at least getting guys in Buffalo who really want to play there so I commend him for that. Ralph is obviously the backbone to all the misery in Buffalo. There's nothing like having an owner who refuses to adapt to the times, he hasn't been able to do that in about 15 years. Whoever thought of that "Whiteout" was moronic if it was solely for the purpose of the fans to see their all white jerseys. Blue jerseys at home were working just fine. If it's not broken don't fix it!

What was your pre-season prediction?

Good post. This defense is terrible and it is now time to fire George Edwards. The offense did not get enough touches to ever really get going. I turned it off close to the end of the third. Did they ever try a reverse? Have we ever tried a reverse? Our WR's need to run 12 yard routs when its 3rd and 9. I'm sick of this underneath stuff. It's not working any more. Time to adapt Chan.

I don't know - I like Nix's judgement on players. No GM is perfect. He's been in charge for two drafts, and he's given us some real potential. But, if we turned back the clock to the summer, no one realistically thought we'd be winning playoff games this year. As I've previously said, once the bar is raised, it's hard to go back to being excited with 8-8, which most of us would have considered pretty good progress a few months ago.

I do think our Defense has been, for the most part, easily handled. It lacks in both design and temperment. I want to see mean, nasty, hard defenses. I don't want to see "try" defenses. I want to see a defense that is just nasty. If George Edwards has to go to get there - and I think we should get someone with more potential - then maybe that is what we'll see in the offseason.

You don't need to have the most talented group of players to win in the NFL. But, to win consistently, they've either got to be talented or they have to be working as a team, together, without making mistakes, and it's got to start in the heart. Losing like this - I don't want to see players on the field afterward smiling and talking to the opposition. I want to see angry, embarrassed players. I think that is what we're lacking, more than anything - it's too much a business to these guys. Being beaten like this doesn't hurt them the way it should.

Good Post! This team is still a long way from being great but they have made alot of strides this year both players and coaches, there is still alot of pieces to be put in place. But all in all they have exceeded most peoples predictions this year and have given us the fans something to hope for. I dont think the Merriman deal was wrong how could they not take a chance on a 26 year old bruiser like him in the hopes he could produce again.The offensive plan has been kind of lacking though, Chan was awesome at going into halftime and making the right changes for the next half but hasnt seem to be able to dial that in lately. I look around at the rest of the league though and see alot of teams struggling and having alot of problems too so its not just the Bills. Keep giving the team the support they need and hopefully they will break out of the slump they are in!! GO BILLS BABY!!

Edited by cjbill69

I don't know - I like Nix's judgement on players. No GM is perfect. He's been in charge for two drafts, and he's given us some real potential. But, if we turned back the clock to the summer, no one realistically thought we'd be winning playoff games this year. As I've previously said, once the bar is raised, it's hard to go back to being excited with 8-8, which most of us would have considered pretty good progress a few months ago.

Nix' prowess in player evaluation is equivalent to Mario Mendoza's batting average. His best move thus far has been taking what should become a very good player with the third overall pick in the 2011 draft. The 2010 draft is looking eerily reminiscent of what Buffalo did in 2006-2007 when Marv was supposedly in charge.

The Bills 6 UFA signings in 2 off-seasons are very underwhelming besides Nick Barnett. Cornell Green, Brad Smith, Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, and Tyler Thigpen are either backups, not with the team, or replacement level starters. Even the players re-signed while Nix has been GM are extremely pedestrian. Merriman had epic fail written all over him and he lived up to it, Kyle Williams is a nice piece but not a game-changer in the 34, Fitzpatrick is back down to earth as a journeyman backup, and Drayton Florence's toaster is always on.

It matters when the owner doesn't know anyone to be GM and settles for the last guy he knows. That's usually not the way to rebuild an organization.

Edited by BillsVet