Smallpox

/dev/null

Legally, smallpox exists in only two places: vials secured at CDC, and a Russian lab (forget which).

Then France admitted to having live samples in 2001. Then, as I recall, North Korea did as well.

Thus my lack of outrage at the story: the "nebulous" threat is nebulous only because we know jack **** about what's out there.

Legally, smallpox exists in only two places: vials secured at CDC, and a Russian lab (forget which).

Then France admitted to having live samples in 2001. Then, as I recall, North Korea did as well.

Thus my lack of outrage at the story: the "nebulous" threat is nebulous only because we know jack **** about what's out there.

Who gives a schitt whether the threat is real or not. I'm getting pretty freaking tired of reading every other week about this administration giving a half-billion here and half-billion there in contracts or secured loans to his top donors. (This is typically where liberals will jump in and justify this stupidity because of stupidity on behalf of others.)

Though for what's it worth, I saw the thread title "Smallpox" and thought, "Oh, look, another OWS story."

Of Smallpox and Scandals

by PEJMAN YOUSEFZADEH on NOVEMBER 12, 2011

Smallpox may or may not be a threat, and vaccines against it may or may nor work. But when a particular vaccine manufacturer gets favorable treatment from the Obama Administration by having Health and Human Services negotiators who drive a hard bargain replaced, and when other firms are blocked from competing for a contract to make a smallpox vaccine, then you have to wonder precisely what that particular vaccine manufacturer may have done in order to merit special favors from the Administration.

Perhaps the fact that the manufacturer’s controlling shareholder is a bigtime Democratic donor might help explain what is going on.

If the use of smallpox as a weapon of mass destruction really is a threat–and I believe that it might be–then I would like to think that the U.S. government’s response to it will employ the best vaccine manufacturers around, not just those who get government contracts because they give money to the party of Hope and Change, which incidentally, has done nothing whatsoever to actually deliver Hope and Change to anyone.

And you thought that Solyndra-style cronyism might become a thing of the past.. .........Silly you.

www.chequerboard.org/2011/11/of-smallpox-and-scandals/

Edited by B-Man

Smallpox? Bah. Now chickenpox is the new danger....

http://news.yahoo.com/swapping-chicken-pox-infected-lollipops-illegal-200633795.html

A federal prosecutor is warning parents against trading chicken pox-laced lollipops by mail in what authorities describe as misguided attempts to expose their children to the virus to build immunity later in life. The warning came after media reports surfaced about a multi-state ring of parents, wary of vaccinations that prevent the disease, who were swapping lollipops licked by a sick child in a modern day incarnation of a chicken pox party.