Lindell busted up; Rayner signed

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half the comments on here degrading Lindell are idiotic. He has the highest percentage of made field goals in the history of Bills kickers. Thye complain that he can't kick it out of the end zone when the Bills deliberately kick it high and short to the corner to make the return men take it out, and this season following this strategy they have tackled the return man inside the 20 repeatedly.

The guy thy are replacing him with has made only 73% of his field goals in his career, these fans want the Bills to put Lindell on IR? I just hope we don't get in situations depending on this guy to win games for us.

if steve christie palyed his entire career with a team that had an absolutely vanilla offense, rarely put the ball in for 6, and when lucky enough to cross mid-field, stalled out at around the 20-30 yard line, he would be right there too.

i dont have the time, energy or enthusiasm to look it up, but im sure the red zone points scored by the bills in the years christie was our kicker are inversely proportional to the amount we've scored with lindell as kicker.

he's padded his stats for years with 25 yard gimmies under coaches that have no balls and qbs that have no skills.

only pressure games i can remember lindel EVER playing in was 1 - against the browns on monday night in 08. how'd that go?

guys a choke job/one trick pony.

ill miss him as much as i miss lee evans.

I don't think people should ignore the fact that Lindell was hurt while making a pretty tough tackle that saved a touchdown on that return. It's a shame that it happened in a game that was a loss. He is pretty big and tough for a kicker. He has made a few tackles over the past few years. Maybe there wouldn't be a kick return if he kicked it through the end zone, but on the other hand, why was a returner allowed to get to mid-field in the first place? I don't have statistics, but I would bet that considering the northern, outdoor stadiums where he plays most of the time, he is probably an above average kicker. Not great, but above average. I feel that he is another steady player whose presence will be missed.

if steve christie palyed his entire career with a team that had an absolutely vanilla offense, rarely put the ball in for 6, and when lucky enough to cross mid-field, stalled out at around the 20-30 yard line, he would be right there too.

i dont have the time, energy or enthusiasm to look it up, but im sure the red zone points scored by the bills in the years christie was our kicker are inversely proportional to the amount we've scored with lindell as kicker.

he's padded his stats for years with 25 yard gimmies under coaches that have no balls and qbs that have no skills.

only pressure games i can remember lindel EVER playing in was 1 - against the browns on monday night in 08. how'd that go?

guys a choke job/one trick pony.

ill miss him as much as i miss lee evans.

Why would Steve Christie have a higher lifetime FG percentage simply because he attempted more kicks? You're assuming he would have made all those extra kicks. There's also the possibility that more attempts could have resulted in more misses or at least the same percentage of misses.

GO BILLS!!!

Why would Steve Christie have a higher lifetime FG percentage simply because he attempted more kicks? You're assuming he would have made all those extra kicks. There's also the possibility that more attempts could have resulted in more misses or at least the same percentage of misses.

GO BILLS!!!

lindell sucks.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008111700/2008/REG11/browns@bills#tab=recap

thats my assumption.

steve christie was the man.

lndell has never drilled a high pressure kick in his tenure here.

christie used to play in meaningful games.

let's all hear it for ryan lindell - champion of 20 yard kicks against the pats, when we trail by 3 touchdowns in the 4th.

like i said above - guy has played in 1, ONE pressure cooker game, and blew it.

here are steve christie's lifetime stats - made 100% of his kick in tennessee to put us ahead of the titans 16-15 in a wildcard game that should have sent us to the super bowl. lindell would have shanked that thing into the 3rd row, at the 15 yard line!

Edited by JohnnyGold

They probably sign someone for the short term.

Who do you like in this weekend's games?

PA Announcer : "And the lucky fan is, section 131 row 23 seat 12, you get to be the Bills kicker!"

!@#$ing hilarious.

Norwood is probably still in town. Maybe they'll bring him in for a tryout.

Nice.

I do not get why teams always bring a bunch of kickers in for what is basically a "kick competition" when looking to sign a kicker. Rayner is the youngest of the high profile kickers out there and has a heck of a leg but has been terribly inconsistent. Wouldn't career body of work be a better predictor of success than a two hour kicking competition? For example, they also had Shayne Graham in. Check out the career stats:

Rayner:

73.3% FG Percentage

98.5% XP Percentage

Graham:

86% FG Percentage

98.45 XP Percentage

Graham kicked very well for New England last year in conditions similar to ours. Rayner kciked sparingly in a Dome in Detroit and had one kickoff for the Raiders this year. Unless Graham has totally lost his leg strength, which isn't likely for a kicker only 33 years old, I don't get the move.

I think two things.

Firstly the tryout included several kickers. It may be that he won a competition during the workout… those are pressure kicks when you're talking about 4-6 weeks of football income for guys who are unemployed.

Secondly. they might want to see which kicker had better natural chemistry and timing with the Garrison Sanborn and Brian Moorman.

Is one of the Grammatica's available?

Yes, but they've nearly cornered the world market on the letters "A" and "M."

"Using any body part above the waist is totally unnecessary. Therefore, Lindell is a fairy for sitting out."

Sincerely,

Male River Dancer

Awesome.

lindell sucks.

thats my assumption.

let's all hear it for ryan lindell - champion of 20 yard kicks against the pats, when we trail by 3 touchdowns in the 4th.

here are steve christie's lifetime stats - made 100% of his kick in tennessee to put us ahead of the titans 16-15 in a wildcard game that should have sent us to the super bowl. lindell would have shanked that thing into the 3rd row, at the 15 yard line!

I agree about everything you say about Steve Christie, he was a great kicker. I just didn't understand the part about Christie having a higher percentage if he had the opportunity to attempt more kicks.

I also think Lindell has been more than adequate and he has made his share of kicks. It's not his fault he hasn't played in a lot of meaningful games.

As for the Tennessee game, Christie was awesome. But Lindell would have tackled Dyson and there would have been no Music City Miracle. That's my assumption.

It's kind of fun imagining things.

GO BILLS!!!

Moorman is fine for KOs. He handled them early in his career. His one KO this game was fine & I defy any ANY kicker to have as an effective onsides as he did (I was very surprised by that; I doubt it's something he practices much.)

However, I think we do need to sign a FG kicker if for no other reason than Moorman is our regular holder as well. (Though I suppose if you're using a new kicker, ~75% of the reason to retain the old/regular holder is gone.)

I agree. That was a hell of an onside kick for a punter who probably rarely practices it.

I agree about everything you say about Steve Christie, he was a great kicker. I just didn't understand the part about Christie having a higher percentage if he had the opportunity to attempt more kicks.

I also think Lindell has been more than adequate and he has made his share of kicks. It's not his fault he hasn't played in a lot of meaningful games.

As for the Tennessee game, Christie was awesome. But Lindell would have tackled Dyson and there would have been no Music City Miracle. That's my assumption.

It's kind of fun imagining things.

GO BILLS!!!

im not saying christie would have made more if he kicked more.

im only saying that ryan lindell has built an entire career out of making his kicks with absolutely no pressure on his shoulders (because the bills have always been out of playoff contention) whereas steve christie was kicking in important games every week of his career.

here's a quote from an article on slate.com about shaq, and why he's terrible at shooting free throws:

3. Shaq makes free throws in practice. Why can't he make them in games? Everyone shoots a higher percentage in practice: Karl Malone, a career 76-percent free-throw shooter, doesn't end his warm-up until he sinks 30 in a row. Yet in 16 seasons Malone has never sunk 30 straight in league competition. The percentage you shoot while spending a relaxed 20 minutes at the line as an assistant tosses you the ball is no indication of what you'll shoot in the game.

thats lindell for you, in a nut shell. in his 8(?) seasons here, i dont think he's played in but 5 pressure packed games. bear with me here, because its 6:30 am where i'm at, and i just woke up, but let me think of the top 3 MEANINGFUL games lindell has kicked in here, with his stats from each:

clearly vs. pittsburgh week 17 in 2004 with the playoffs on the line:

1/2 on field goals

next one that comes to mind, is hosting dallas on monday night. no real playoff implications per se, but edwards had just taken over as a starter, the national eyes were on us, and that place was rocking that night. HUGE game.

1/2 on field goals

the following year, hosting the browns on monday night. again, another huge game, this one with playoff implications. a win would have put us at 6-4 and in control of our own destiny.

2/3 on field goals - missed the game winner

those are, in my opinion, the only truly meaningful games we've played in the last 8 years. by meaningful i mean a combination of a loss ends our season (for all intents and purposes,) a win could solidify us as a solid team, there is national media attention, a top broadcasting team in the booth, etc. etc. etc. essentially, no margin for error.

in those situations, lindell is a 4/7, 57% kicker.

steve christie kicked in those situations his entire career!

lindell has been riding a train of low expectations, no pressure-games, "if you can give us 3 points here that would be great."

whenever we've actually NEEDED him over the past EIGHT years (sadly, only 3 times,) he's been about a 50-50 gamble.

we'll be FINE without him. if we drop to 5-8, and those last 3 games are for draft position? you can count on lindell drilling a few 30 yarders if he comes back healthy. but if those last games see us at 8-5 and fighting for a 6 seed? ill stick with rayner, please and thanks.

Edited by JohnnyGold

lindell sucks.

thats my assumption.

This is another idiotic post. Yes. If I had to choose between Christie & Lindell I would choose Christie. Christie was the best kicker the Bills have ever had.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the Bills are going to be in a much more vulnerable position using any of the substitutes that are available for the time Lindell will be out. And anyone who thinks that they'll be better off, and should put Lindell on IR, is, IMHO, a fool.

Not to be outdone, the Cowboys have put their kicker on IR.

7 minutes ago:

#Cowboys put K David Buehler on injured reserve because of groin injury, ending his season. #bills #nfl -dmz

You scared me there for a minute -- Had to check my fantasy lineup. Dan Bailey is the starter -- and #2 overall, fantasy-wise, this year. They had two kickers on their active roster? :blink: