November Movies: J.Edgar, The Muppets, Breaking Dawn & Happy Feet

Mark Vader

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from The Descendents ... it's brilliant.

I"m not a Clooney fan, but tend to enjoy his films. Looking forward to seeing this one. Last one I saw with him was probably one of my favorites - The American.

Saw Super 8 last night...did nothing to take away from my ever-growing interest in the mind of Mr. Abrams! Was very excited to see Star Trek 2 get a release date...can't wait to see what direction he takes that franchise. The way he rebooted it was very smart, IMO.

I"m not a Clooney fan, but tend to enjoy his films. Looking forward to seeing this one. Last one I saw with him was probably one of my favorites - The American.

Saw Super 8 last night...did nothing to take away from my ever-growing interest in the mind of Mr. Abrams! Was very excited to see Star Trek 2 get a release date...can't wait to see what direction he takes that franchise. The way he rebooted it was very smart, IMO.

Me too!

If you don't like the Muppets then you have no soul there I said it. Seriously thought going to see the Muppets tonight and I think it will be the best movie of the year.

I love the muppets. However, from the commercials, i looks like they're going to stuff the movie with lame pop culture references thus ruining the spirit of the muppets.

I love the muppets. However, from the commercials, i looks like they're going to stuff the movie with lame pop culture references thus ruining the spirit of the muppets.

Absolutely not.

There are myriad celebrity cameos and the Muppets perform some well known songs, but if you know anything of the Muppets or the Muppet Show you know that those two elements are inherent.

Here are this month's Independent Films, many of which will be fighting for Oscar glory.

It's rare when a foreign film becomes highly anticipated, but that is the case for the French film, "The Artist". Why is this film so special? It is a silent film. Hollywood, 1927: As silent movie star George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause him to fade into oblivion, he sparks with Peppy Miller, a young dancer set for a big break. Even though the director and leads are from France, there is a good amount of American actors as well. Early reviews are extremely positive. This movie could be something special. Starring Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell, Malcolm McDowell, Penelope Ann Miller & Missi Pyle.

George Clooney stars in the dramady, "The Descendants". A land baron tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a boating accident. While the plot may not sound as interesting, reviews have been very good, and this film looks to be a lock for some Oscar nominations. Also starring Shailene Woodley, Amara Miller & Nick Krause.

From director David Cronenberg comes the period piece, "A Dangerous Method". A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis. This is the third time that Cronenberg has worked with Viggo Mortensen, and this time around he's brought along Michael Fassbender & Keira Knightley, for this intriguing drama.

Michelle Williams headlines, "My Week With Marilyn". Colin Clark, an employee of Sir Laurence Olivier's, documents the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during production of The Prince and the Showgirl. Also starring Kenneth Branagh, Eddie Redmayne, Dominic Cooper, Julia Ormond, Toby Jones, Emma Watson & Judi Dench.

In director Lars von Trier's "Melancholia", Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide into the Earth. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Kiefer Sutherland, Alexandr Skarsgard, John Hurt & Stellan Skarsgard.

Finally from the United Kingdom comes, "Tyrannosaur". Joseph, a man plagued by violence and a rage that is driving him to self-destruction, earns a chance of redemption that appears in the form of Hannah, a Christian charity shop worker. Starring Peter Mullan, Olivia Colman & Eddie Marsan.

Calendar with trailers. Note: These dates are for exclusive or limited release. These films may appear in your area at a later date.

11/11

"Melancholia": http://www.melancholiathemovie.com/

11/16

"The Descendants": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thedescendants/

11/18

"Tyrannosaur": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi222076441/

11/23

"A Dangerous Method": http://adangerousmethod-themovie.com/

"My Week With Marilyn": http://myweekwithmarilynmovie.com/

11/25

"The Artist": http://weinsteinco.com/sites/the-artist/

That's all for now. I will have the December movies up soon. Enjoy!

From director David Cronenberg comes the period piece, "A Dangerous Method". A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis. This is the third time that Cronenberg has worked with Viggo Mortensen, and this time around he's brought along Michael Fassbender & Keira Knightley, for this intriguing drama.

WOW!!! As a summa cum laude graduate in psychology and a huge fan of psychoanalytic theory (although I personally subscribe to cognitive-behavioral therapy in terms of validity and efficacy), this film sounds AMAZING!

Thanks for the head's up, VAder!

WOW!!! As a summa cum laude graduate in psychology and a huge fan of psychoanalytic theory (although I personally subscribe to cognitive-behavioral therapy in terms of validity and efficacy), this film sounds AMAZING!

Thanks for the head's up, VAder!

Your welcome aj. I am very excited about the independent films this month. As for this one, what do you think of Cronenberg tackling a subject like this? And what do you think of Mortensen as Freud?

Your welcome aj. I am very excited about the independent films this month. As for this one, what do you think of Cronenberg tackling a subject like this? And what do you think of Mortensen as Freud?

My only concern about Viggo is that he tends to be Cronenberg's choice like every time he makes a film lol. I know sometimes that tends to work out well (e.g. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp) in certain situations, and I do like Viggo as an actor, but he's really gonna have to show some range here I think. As for the subject matter, gosh, I honestly don't know what to think because I never even fathomed that a film like this would be marketable. I know it's an Indy, but you have some big names on board here. I just hope they actually keep the meat on the bones, so to speak, and not let it get all caught up in some silly chick flick. I'm nervous about that, cause Viggo would be a good choice to attract the ladies, so it makes me wonder if Cronenberg is going for the character actor (which is what he SHOULD be going for), or just the "easy choice" and sort of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I know that this subject matter will be more important to me than it will be to others, but I'm really hoping for some good results!

What's your take on it? Do you think these are the right choices for the project?

Edited by ajzepp

My only concern about Viggo is that he tends to be Cronenberg's choice like every time he makes a film lol. I know sometimes that tends to work out well (e.g. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp) in certain situations, and I do like Viggo as an actor, but he's really gonna have to show some range here I think. As for the subject matter, gosh, I honestly don't know what to think because I never even fathomed that a film like this would be marketable. I know it's an Indy, but you have some big names on board here. I just hope they actually keep the meat on the bones, so to speak, and not let it get all caught up in some silly chick flick. I'm nervous about that, cause Viggo would be a good choice to attract the ladies, so it makes me wonder if Cronenberg is going for the character actor (which is what he SHOULD be going for), or just the "easy choice" and sort of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I know that this subject matter will be more important to me than it will be to others, but I'm really hoping for some good results!

What's your take on it? Do you think these are the right choices for the project?

I think my biggest concern here is the director. Viggo Mortensen is a talented actor who I do not think gets as much credit as he deserves. Knightley seems to excel in these types of roles and Fassbender is slowly becoming a "name" actor and should do fine. Which leaves me with Cronenberg. This is not the type of film I would expect from him, but I'm sure many people did not expect a movie like "Hugo" from Martin Scorcese. And that movie has received glowing reviews, and early reviews for "A Dangerous Method" have been strong too. So I am most interested in this film, just have to see how it plays out.

I loved Super 8. One of the best films I saw this summer.

If only J.J. Abrams had done the Transformers movies. :cry:

I think my biggest concern here is the director. Viggo Mortensen is a talented actor who I do not think gets as much credit as he deserves. Knightley seems to excel in these types of roles and Fassbender is slowly becoming a "name" actor and should do fine. Which leaves me with Cronenberg. This is not the type of film I would expect from him, but I'm sure many people did not expect a movie like "Hugo" from Martin Scorcese. And that movie has received glowing reviews, and early reviews for "A Dangerous Method" have been strong too. So I am most interested in this film, just have to see how it plays out.

You're right, it looks like it has an 81% on RT, and over 60+ reviewers chiming in...that makes me feel a lot better about the film. We'll have to compare notes after we've seen it, cause it'll be interesting for sure.

I see that FAssbender was in Inglorious Basterds and Xmen First Class, but for some reason I'm having a hard time envisioning his performances...looking forward to seeing his portrayal here!

I loved Super 8. One of the best films I saw this summer.

If only J.J. Abrams had done the Transformers movies. :cry:

I really wanted to like T3, but when all was said and done I was disappointed by it. The special effects were excellent, but the film needed better editing. It went on and on and got so drawn out that I really had a hard time feeling engaged by it. I did enjoy the premise, and at times I was right there geeking out to it, but just lost me in the end. And honestly, I've had enough of Shia. I'm just tired of the kid, and I fail to see any range whatsoever to his acting. The guy from Eagle Eye, to Transformers, to the one whre he was on house arrest with the crazy neighbor...it's the same character in all three. I didn't like him in the last Indiana Jones film either, and quite frankly I really wish people would lose their infatuation with him entirely lol.

But yeah, I've learned to have complete trust and faith in J.J. So far I've loved everything he's done and I can't wait to see more - particularly Star Trek 2! I'm actually looking forward to revisiting one of his more controversial films - Cloverfield - because, as I've mentioned before on here, I consider it one of the top Ten best home theater experiences of my life. I won't be able to crank the bass now like I could before when I was in a house instead of an apartment, but this film on a projector (or large flat screen) with a proper sound system is a great ride, IMO

I really wanted to like T3, but when all was said and done I was disappointed by it. The special effects were excellent, but the film needed better editing. It went on and on and got so drawn out that I really had a hard time feeling engaged by it. I did enjoy the premise, and at times I was right there geeking out to it, but just lost me in the end. And honestly, I've had enough of Shia. I'm just tired of the kid, and I fail to see any range whatsoever to his acting. The guy from Eagle Eye, to Transformers, to the one whre he was on house arrest with the crazy neighbor...it's the same character in all three. I didn't like him in the last Indiana Jones film either, and quite frankly I really wish people would lose their infatuation with him entirely lol.

But yeah, I've learned to have complete trust and faith in J.J. So far I've loved everything he's done and I can't wait to see more - particularly Star Trek 2! I'm actually looking forward to revisiting one of his more controversial films - Cloverfield - because, as I've mentioned before on here, I consider it one of the top Ten best home theater experiences of my life. I won't be able to crank the bass now like I could before when I was in a house instead of an apartment, but this film on a projector (or large flat screen) with a proper sound system is a great ride, IMO

Man, I can't wait to own a home theater. I found Cloverfield haunting and that was on a computer screen!

Man, I can't wait to own a home theater. I found Cloverfield haunting and that was on a computer screen!

If you ever need any suggestions, just let me know man...or start a thread on here, cause I know there is a small group of HT enthusiasts on TBD. You can pretty much do it for nearly any budget these days :thumbsup:

I'm a HUGE believer that audio is responsible for significant part of the movie watching experience, depending on the type of movie, of course. With Cloverfield, the audio is absolutely AMAZING, and it kicks up the level of intensity quite a bit. I think TGreg said previously that he knew someone who was involved with the audio portion of that film (or it may have even been him? not sure....) and that they were really proud of the results. I can understand why, as I really appreciated the audio effects for that film. It sounds like you had an appreciation for it even on a computer screen, so I can ASSURE you you'd be loving it even more with the audio component.

But yeah, I still remember exactly how it felt when I watched it on my HT rig, and it remains a very memorable experience. :thumbsup: