Bye Week Blues

Billsrhody

So far this season teams are 3-9 coming off of their byes.. there's been some talk that teams have looked "sluggish" after sitting out a week.

Is this something we need to worry about or will Chan rally the troops?

Edited by Billsrhody

I hope it remains a constant theme. Bills get one of the few wins for a bye team this weekend.

Then the Jets get one of the many loses next game!

Rex Ryan getting two weeks to prepare for the Bills offense seems a little daunting.

He realizes there is a huge difference in 4-3 or 3-4. and going 2-1 in the division or 1-2. You can bet he will be pulling out all the blitze packages and zone blitzes for the Bills the next game.

I hope Chan has done the same for our Offense this week, and the bills put up 50 on the Skins!

I hope it remains a constant theme. Bills get one of the few wins for a bye team this weekend.

Then the Jets get one of the many loses next game!

I like the sound of this.

I made the mistake of perusing a Jets board yesterday and it made me angry. If the Bills need any motivation, they should just visit that site.

Edited by NJBuffFan

Someone else had raised this earlier. I'd also heard that the record of the teams which have lost is bad and the record of the teams that have won is good… but I haven't checked to see if that's true.

I don't think 12 games is quite enough to go by in any case.

So far there have been four teams with winning records leading into their bye week: Ravens, Titans, Chargers, Redskins. Those teams combined for 1-3 the following week.

The other eight teams had losing records up to the bye. They are 2-6 for the game after the bye.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Hilarious.

Not.

The teams which were favored in these post-bye games went 10-2.

The teams which won after their bye have a combined record of 9-9.

The teams which lost after their bye have a combined record of 19-35.

Here are the results:

Cleveland (3-3) loss to Oakland

Dallas (3-3) loss to New England

St Louis (0-6) loss to Green Bay

Miami (0-6 ) loss to NY Jets

Washington (3-3 ) loss to Philadelphia

Baltimore (4-2) win over Houston

Denver (2-4) win over Miami

Tennessee (3-3) loss to Houston

Kansas City (3-3 ) win over Oakland

Arizona (1-5) loss to Pittsburgh

San Diego (4-2 ) loss to Jets

Seattle (2-4 ) loss to Cleveland

Obviously the 3-9 records of teams coming off the bye week has a lot more to do with how good that team is and who they are playing against than the bye itself.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Here are the results:

Obviously the 3-9 records of teams coming off the bye week has a lot more to do with how good that team is and who they are playing against than the bye itself.

/thread.

Here are the results:

hilarious...not :)

Cleveland, Dallas, Tennessee, Seattle. I think given an extra week they had a good shot to win to their games. With that said, I think we're playing the Redskins at a good time, but I'm still worried that our defense can stop anyone and the Skin's D still has a lot of talent.

So far there have been four teams with winning records leading into their bye week: Ravens, Titans, Chargers, Redskins. Those teams combined for 1-3 the following week.

The other eight teams had losing records up to the bye. They are 2-6 for the game after the bye.

When you put our posts together and dig a bit deeper, you see the picture pretty clearly.

Of the 4 winning teams before their byes (and only 2 of the 12 bye teams have winning records now):

The Ravens won against a good Houston team.

The Titans had only one quality wing (Baltimore) and wins over two bad teams (Denver and Cleveland). They lost before the bye, and then again after the bye. So their winning record was a bit of a mirage.

All 4 of the Chargers wins came against teams which were winless at the time. Clearly the Chargers are not that good and the Jets were favored to beat the Chargers.

The Redskins have one quality win (Giants) a win over a one-win team (Arizona) and over a winless team (St. Louis).

So of the 4 teams with winning records, only the Ravens (gasp) can be considered a quality football team. The other 3 teams have been exposed as mediocre at best.

This weeks teams coming off a bye are the Bills, Giants, Eagles, Patsies*, Niners and Bengals… all winning teams except the Eagles. And all pretty good teams.

We'll know more about the supposed negative bye effect after this week but I'm pretty convinced the 3-9 record simply shows that bad and mediocre teams have byed so far.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Count me as being worried. While our guys were hanging out in Disney World, Atlanta, Dallas, Cali and all points in between....the Redskins were getting embarrassed by a rookie QB and head coach in Charlotte. The DC media has been roasting them all week and saying they are now one of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong but I think the REdskins come out angry and the Bills come out rusty. We can blame it on Toronto all we want but i think this will be a very tough, low scoring game.

Count me as being worried. While our guys were hanging out in Disney World, Atlanta, Dallas, Cali and all points in between....the Redskins were getting embarrassed by a rookie QB and head coach in Charlotte. The DC media has been roasting them all week and saying they are now one of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong but I think the REdskins come out angry and the Bills come out rusty. We can blame it on Toronto all we want but i think this will be a very tough, low scoring game.

There's a lot of truth to what you say.

I'm reminded of the immortal words, "It's hard to win in the NFL."

And actually, it is.

The bye week is one of the few 'innovations' that I really don't like in the NFL. I was much, much happier when every team played every week.

Yea I agree..

First off I didnt know what to do last weekend with no Bills game

Secondly I got killed in fantasy last week because my 3 best players were on byes

Third, wouldnt things just be better if it were the same for everyone? Play em all!