Buddy's moves

I feel the same way, but I think that we both know that the Bills will need at least one VERY good draft to get to the next level.

The Bills are not the type of team to sign high profile free agents, and I don't care so much about this. This does however mean that the draft means more to us than it does most other teams.

If Nix/Gailey go into this coming April and avoid the dumb draft mistakes of the past, the Bills can contend sooner than later. I suppose we have to see it to believe it.

To me It is disconcerting that the Bills didn't go after an OT instead of Spiller, and even this year they should have drafted another OT earlier then a 4th. Lets face it, most of us posters here knew that makeshift line wouldn't last long, and we knew the team needed more depth and quality.

Another thing that is very disconcerting is that the Bills spent most of the picks from the last two drafts on the defense, and it is still playing like a sieve. Still can't stop the run, plus the Bills had the pass defense in the top 5 the previous 2 years and now its 30th, so it got worse!

I look at Chan Gaily and what he has been able to do with a bunch of back ups and castoffs on that offense! Meanwhile the team is spending almost entire drafts on the defense and they get worse...this sorta tells me that the offensive coaches know what they are doing because of Gailey. But, wasn't Wannstache brought in to help Edwards with the defense? I suppose a new LB coach can't make a silk purse... but that is the same secondary coach that was with the Bills under Jauron.... weird! Something (the3-4) is not right or someone is not doing a good enough job as 30th and 30th is no where near good enough, not with all the DB's this team has drafted over the last 5 years!

Anyway, I have so much more faith in Nix and his ability to judge talent after watching what Cam Newton has done so far this year. I believe in Nix, he stood strong before the season started and boldly stated he know what he was doing and it will work out, he was right! Lets not forget that Nix is the one that found all these players off the waiver wire that are doing pretty good.

If the Bills can just somehow fix that defense...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he really wanted to show his stuff as a GM with his chargers connections , he would have found a way to land a disgruntled Vincent Jackson here on buffalo last year. That dude's a stud with no injury problems who paired with SJ would be truly unstoppable.

Signing a washed up farce like merriman after he'd been cut and passed on by 2 other teams, with a player he knew and drafted , he should have known better.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

To me It is disconcerting that the Bills didn't go after an OT instead of Spiller, and even this year they should have drafted another OT earlier then a 4th. Lets face it, most of us posters here knew that makeshift line wouldn't last long, and we knew the team needed more depth and quality.

Another thing that is very disconcerting is that the Bills spent most of the picks from the last two drafts on the defense, and it is still playing like a sieve. Still can't stop the run, plus the Bills had the pass defense in the top 5 the previous 2 years and now its 30th, so it got worse!

I look at Chan Gaily and what he has been able to do with a bunch of back ups and castoffs on that offense! Meanwhile the team is spending almost entire drafts on the defense and they get worse...this sorta tells me that the offensive coaches know what they are doing because of Gailey. But, wasn't Wannstache brought in to help Edwards with the defense? I suppose a new LB coach can't make a silk purse... but that is the same secondary coach that was with the Bills under Jauron.... weird! Something (the3-4) is not right or someone is not doing a good enough job as 30th and 30th is no where near good enough, not with all the DB's this team has drafted over the last 5 years!

Anyway, I have so much more faith in Nix and his ability to judge talent after watching what Cam Newton has done so far this year. I believe in Nix, he stood strong before the season started and boldly stated he know what he was doing and it will work out, he was right! Lets not forget that Nix is the one that found all these players off the waiver wire that are doing pretty good.

If the Bills can just somehow fix that defense...

I agree with the above word for word. And, I think that they can fix the defense. As the Senator states, they should go straight to Alabama. Upshaw and Hightwer are both future stars imo. Just immediate impact players.

In light of Merriman's move to IR let's look at Nix's moves:

- 2010 Draft they by pass needs on defense and QB for a reach at Spiller who has done minimal. This could have been forseen as Spiller and Bush are same RB 'scat back' that Nix and Gailey wanted so much. I have no problem saying that Spiller is a bust and was great in college but this is the pros. If you can't learn to run straight betweeen the tackles by now then there is a bigger issue here. Nix wanted Spiller to succeed so they could cut Jackson. You don't take a first round RB and not want to start him. Jackson is doing well and benching him would only cause a problem. Look for Bills to procrastinate on Jackson's contract. They will say he's 30 and wants to0 much money. Spiller to start for Bills next year while Jackson goes to another team.

- The so called QB competition when they obviously wanted to give the job to Edwards. Reason they talked about competition was to really please media and fans to make it look like they cared. Reality was they were hoping Gailey's QB magic would work on Edwards rather than looking at the tape of previous years on Edwards and seeing that he was not starter material. Bills love mediocrity and Fitz fits that mold. We'll prob lock him up for a few years. If Cam was on the board he would have been a Bill but there was no way to go wrong with out #3 pick. With the new CBA agreement structuring out rookie contracts Ralph Wilson prob got a hard on for the first time by not paying the high gauranteed money.

-Merriman was on decline in San Diego after injuries....Nix picked him up. Great move for leadership but leadership only goes so much if ur not on the field to back up the talk. The light has gone out. Point is this was a Nix decision.

-I am 50/50 if Nix gives the $ Stevie is looking for. We do need him but depends on what he's asking.

Nix as GM has made some very questionable moves and while the Bills are doing well it mostly part to Gailey's system and these players showing they belong. I love all these guys and what they stand for. Nix does not have the 'eye' for talent and has proven that....why do we have him? He's cheap, old school, and will ask daddy's permission before making any type of move. Be weary of the future.

So much of this is speculation and imagination that it's hard to know where to begin.

First of all, let's begin with the mind-reading. How do you know that Nix wanted to cut Jackson, for example? You and Buddy hang out a lot? Why wouldn't Nix want Jackson to be the Pro Bowl caliber back he is right now? If Nix wanted to cut Freddy, he would have. It's ludicrous to say a GM wants to cut his most productive player.

And it's incredibly self-obvious to say Nix wanted Spiller to succeed. Of course he does. Don't you? Is there a problem with that? But the suggestion that the only reason Nix doesn't promote Spiller to first string is because it would "cause a problem" is just silly. Firstly, it's Gailey's decision, not Nix's. Second, I think Gailey's tickled pink by Freddy's amazing year. He constantly sings his praises. Do you ever bother to watch Gailey's pressers?

We would hope for more production from a 1st round draft pick but calling Spiller a "bust" is probably a little harsh. He is averaging 7 yards a carry. And he'd get more carries if he wasn't playing behind one of the best RBs in the NFL this year.

And Nix wanted to give the job to Edwards? Hmmm. It seems like that was Gailey's call and he DID give the job to Edwards - for about 2 games. Suggesting that they didn't look at tape is just bizarre. Obviously, they studied tape and liked something the saw in TE. Let's remember TE did outplay Fitz in preseason last year and Edwards is an accurate QB.

My guess is that what didn't show up on tape were the intangibles: courage, leadership, attitude. When Gailey got a first-had taste of those, TE was cut. I say "guess" because despite your failed efforts at telepathy, I don't really know what's in Nix's or Gailey's minds. I only know what they say and do - and what they've done is get Buffalo in the playoff hunt and created some excitement in Buffalo.

Where do you get the impression that Nix needs to ask for "daddy's permission." From what I've read, Nix has full authority to draft, sign and cut who he wants. And that certainly seems to be the case - all of Nix's moves seem in accordance with his philosophy regarding the type of players he wants.

Maybe the most dubious statement in the whole post is "Bills love mediocrity and Fitz fits that mold." Huh? You really think people at One Bills Drive want the Bills to be mediocre??? And can you really say Fitz's year has been mediocre so far? Are you from Planet Earth? Have you watched any of the games at all?

I'm not "weary of the future" but I am weary of wasting my time on your post.

If he really wanted to show his stuff as a GM with his chargers connections , he would have found a way to land a disgruntled Vincent Jackson here on buffalo last year. That dude's a stud with no injury problems who paired with SJ would be truly unstoppable.

Signing a washed up farce like merriman after he'd been cut and passed on by 2 other teams, with a player he knew and drafted , he should have known better.

If he really wanted to show his stuff, he'd get Philip Rivers here, and Antonio Gates.

Yeah because it was obvious that Bell and Hairston were gonna get injured and that most teams carry 4 competent tackles in the anticipation that two of them will get injured.

Sigh, he still drafted him 9th overall with said 3rd or 4th best RB in the league on the team.

Let me guess. You knew Freddy was going to be the 3 or 4th best rb in the league before lst years draft, right?!?! Sigh!

We need to hire you and let Nix go. That'll work. People seem to forget Nix took over one of the worst teams in the NFL 2 yrs. ago.

It takes 2 to tango. SD doesn't want to get rid of V. Jackson.