Moats

NickelCity

http://blogs.buffalo...taying-outside/

I hope the switch is permanent, I thought he played pretty well last week.

One of the few cases where Gailey and staff seemed determined to put a round peg in a square hole. Moats is a natural outside LB and has consistently demonstrated the ability to get to the passer off the edge.

Unlike some coaches Gailey appears to be alright with not outright saying, "that was a bad idea", but at least saying "we tried him here and we have learned that he plays better there".

I have seen too many coaches that just cannot adjust to their player abilities, Gailey and staff are a refreshing change to trying to fit personnel to schemes they do not have the skills to execute.

I hated the idea when it happened. But In retrospect, I believe they were just seeing what they had in moats. They knew he was effective rushing the passer. They knew Merriman and Kelsey were the OLB starters. They like Batten and potentially carrington backing them up. They didn't see a lot of PT for him early on, so why not see what he can do inside? It's not like, they can't put him in at olb when they want. His pass rush skills haven't dissolved and now he's, more than likely, a more versatile player. The only problem would've been, if he were cut in the situation. But he wasn't, which more and more makes me think he was just moved to increase his knowledge of defending the run and making himself a better all around player. Jmo

Would love to see Moats get the start over Batten this week vs the Giants....The Bills will really need to pressure Eli this week into bad decisions. Nicks, Manningham, and Cruz are three pretty good receivers and w/o pressure the secondary will get eaten alive.

While I think it is obvious that he is better at OLB... I understand why he did it.

1) It seemed like Gailey was trying to get his best 11 on the field.

2) Smaller pass rushers can often times get engulfed by big athletic OT's (Remember Corey Moore), so perhaps he could be a blitzing playmaker at ILB.

He tried it for a couple months... didn't work out, so back to OLB. Kid has a long career ahead of him.

While I think it is obvious that he is better at OLB... I understand why he did it.

1) It seemed like Gailey was trying to get his best 11 on the field.

2) Smaller pass rushers can often times get engulfed by big athletic OT's (Remember Corey Moore), so perhaps he could be a blitzing playmaker at ILB.

He tried it for a couple months... didn't work out, so back to OLB. Kid has a long career ahead of him.

These were my thoughts as well. Also, Moats has been pretty shaky when it comes to setting the edge on the run.

These were my thoughts as well. Also, Moats has been pretty shaky when it comes to setting the edge on the run.

Exactly. Moats will not see significant playing time until he can show himself to be more than a situational pass rusher. As that, I would much rather have him than Maybin, but heed needs to be effective against run and pass to see much playing time.

Exactly. Moats will not see significant playing time until he can show himself to be more than a situational pass rusher. As that, I would much rather have him than Maybin, but heed needs to be effective against run and pass to see much playing time.

I really think in time he can develop that. Him and Batten swapping in and out i think can pay some dividends. Both need to stop the run though,...

Ps.

:worthy: GEORGE WILLSON!!!! :worthy:

That is all