Kyle Williams Injury?

It is obvious all the big running plays are away from the middle. not just williams/dareus, but barnet right behind them as well.

all the problems with the run defense are on the edges. Merriman has been servicible, but I thought the front office was crazy for thinking he was the answer to their pass rushing troubles. He has played a lot better than expected and it is nice to see him on the field, but we need to upgrade that. Kelsey has had several nice plays, but when teams run at you that often, you better has at least some good plays. carrington is nice on the edge, but he doesn't seem to be good against the run.

The edges of that defense need work. And it is hard to judge our secondary.... mkelvin is hot and cold. The guy either has a great game or a terrible game. But they seem to be tackleing better and better each week.

people who hate on williams for not tackleing on plays that are away from him are being ridiculous. that would be like a jests fan hating on revis because he isn't intercepting the ball because the ball is being thrown away from him. williams/dareus taking out the middle of the field is just has important as revis shutting down the number 1 reciever for the jests.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious all the big running plays are away from the middle. not just williams/dareus, but barnet right behind them as well.

all the problems with the run defense are on the edges. Merriman has been servicible, but I thought the front office was crazy for thinking he was the answer to their pass rushing troubles. He has played a lot better than expected and it is nice to see him on the field, but we need to upgrade that. Kelsey has had several nice plays, but when teams run at you that often, you better has at least some good plays. carrington is nice on the edge, but he doesn't seem to be good against the run.

The edges of that defense need work. And it is hard to judge our secondary.... mkelvin is hot and cold. The guy either has a great game or a terrible game. But they seem to be tackleing better and better each week.

people who hate on williams for not tackleing on plays that are away from him are being ridiculous. that would be like a jests fan hating on revis because he isn't intercepting the ball because the ball is being thrown away from him. williams/dareus taking out the middle of the field is just has important as revis shutting down the number 1 reciever for the jests.

I agree with you, but also want to add that the Bills have had some pretty damn good players attacking the edge of their defense this season. Charles, McFadden, McCoy, Vick, and even Brady throwing those screens and short outside passes are not easy players to stop.

i see the analogy you're trying to make but it's off. the jets defense is typically awesome, our defense is garbage. SOMEONE has to be sucking on our defense in order for it to be so bad (#29 against the run), whereas in New York, Revis is a part of a top 5 pass offense.

i see the analogy you're trying to make but it's off. the jets defense is typically awesome, our defense is garbage. SOMEONE has to be sucking on our defense in order for it to be so bad (#29 against the run), whereas in New York, Revis is a part of a top 5 pass offense.

Yeah, the Jets are 2-3. Too bad the Bills have such a garbage defense, and not an awesome one like the Jets.

i see the analogy you're trying to make but it's off. the jets defense is typically awesome, our defense is garbage. SOMEONE has to be sucking on our defense in order for it to be so bad (#29 against the run), whereas in New York, Rev is is a part of a top 5 pass offense.

Why are so many here making excuses for poor performance? Criticising a Bill's player is ok people calm down. We still can enjoy the 4-1 but I'm thinking playoffs and guys like Williams and Merriman gotta step it up. No resting on laurels.

I agree, somebody has to be screwing up. But that doesn't mean it is automatically williams and dareus. They are not the problem with the defense. the problem is on the outside of the defense, not the middle. the middle of the defense is amazing. Just the fact that barnett can drop into coverage so often is evidence that williams/dareus are doing their job. with the outside, all those players need help with the rush by bringing in safties to help them out.

Williams and dareus are fine, and blaming them for other players' mistakes doesn't fit.

I agree, somebody has to be screwing up. But that doesn't mean it is automatically williams and dareus. They are not the problem with the defense. the problem is on the outside of the defense, not the middle. the middle of the defense is amazing. Just the fact that barnett can drop into coverage so often is evidence that williams/dareus are doing their job. with the outside, all those players need help with the rush by bringing in safties to help them out.

Williams and dareus are fine, and blaming them for other players' mistakes doesn't fit.

fine, i obviously agree the ends are weaker than the middle, of course they are. but people are in here making excuses for williams' lack of production and they're not really giving me much other than, "uhh because he's awesome" and "he's a pro-bowler". no, Kyle is not the "problem" on this defense, but doesn't mean he can't be playing much, much better.

if you can go back and read what you just wrote, and honestly tell me you believe it, than you're completely out of your !@#$ing mind.

Actually, I'm not, and the stats and results against common opponents (Raiders and Pats) back me up. Oh and then there's the whole win/loss thing.

fine, i obviously agree the ends are weaker than the middle, of course they are. but people are in here making excuses for williams' lack of production and they're not really giving me much other than, "uhh because he's awesome" and "he's a pro-bowler". no, Kyle is not the "problem" on this defense, but doesn't mean he can't be playing much, much better.

It's been pointed out to you several times that the strength of oppoentns and their gameplans have not favored Williams racking up a whole lot of stats, but you continue to ignore those comments.

It's been pointed out to you several times that the strength of oppoentns and their gameplans have not favored Williams racking up a whole lot of stats, but you continue to ignore those comments.

that sounds like a spin job to me. we faced jamaal charles, darren mcfadden, the pats - who got a big lead and tried running the call (22 carries), cedric benson, and now mccoy/vick. the strength of those teams, save for the pats, is running the ball is it not?

that sounds like a spin job to me. we faced jamaal charles, darren mcfadden, the pats - who got a big lead and tried running the call (22 carries), cedric benson, and now mccoy/vick. the strength of those teams, save for the pats, is running the ball is it not?

Yes but teams (and the eagles game today was a PERFECT example of this) only found running yards by going AWAY from the interior. Why? Because every time they tried to run between the tackles they were stuffed at the line, hard.

I agree with you, but also want to add that the Bills have had some pretty damn good players attacking the edge of their defense this season. Charles, McFadden, McCoy, Vick, and even Brady throwing those screens and short outside passes are not easy players to stop.

I agree. But they attack there because they see weakness there. Next year we need to upgrade.

he was a pro-bowler last year - who gives a ****? he's been invisible all year. he and dareus combined for a whopping 0 tackles today. kyle has 4 solo tackles all year. are you really trying to tell me that there isn't something wrong there?

Yea. Nobody is rushing up the middle, and despite the fact we haven't recorded a lot of sacks, there has been consistent pressure on QBs all season. You can check our interception totals for evidence of this. Some people just lack the understanding of the dynamics of football to be able to accurately assess talent and/or effectiveness. I would assume you are part of this group, considering how you actually reference Lee Evans in your screen name.

Some defenses use the defensive linemen to penetrate and make tackles, whereas others use them to soak up blockers and plug holes so the the ball goes in other directions towards defenders who don't have a hat on them. The individual's stats come out different. Sorta like a wide receiver. Some WR have a 17 yards a catch average and others have a 5 yards a catch average. You have to look at how many throws went in each one's direction and how many total yards each gained and when to see who is more valuable.

Another thing that you might have noticed is that on several of the turnovers, the Bills got the ball because they had a lot of players in the area of the football. The ball that was caught, ripped out, kicked and went to Barrett was intercepted because we had multiple players around the ball. The "interception" that Byrd "caught" by taking the ball away from a receiver, was "caught" because he could risk going after the ball. If he lost the tackle, there was somebody else there to put the guy down on the ground. Another ball was tipped and caught by a guy diving to the ground. Against the pasties, Brady threw a ball into Darius's helmet, when he jumped up. Against the iggles, Carrington surprised the QB by being in his face when he spin around to throw a blind screen. All of these plays are indirectly the result of either having extra players on the ball (afforded by the d-line play) or having d-linemen literally in the way of the offensive's moves. I disagree with the idea that our d-line isn't doing its job- the results are just not as directly simply obvious.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Yea. Nobody is rushing up the middle, and despite the fact we haven't recorded a lot of sacks, there has been consistent pressure on QBs all season. You can check our interception totals for evidence of this. Some people just lack the understanding of the dynamics of football to be able to accurately assess talent and/or effectiveness. I would assume you are part of this group, considering how you actually reference Lee Evans in your screen name.

lolol "lack the understanding of the dynamics of football". jesus christ what a blowhard.

and yea i made the screen name containing evans when he was a rookie. don't feel like changing it. who gives a !@#$.

Edited by deep2evans

All i know is that I felt less miserable reading this silly message board when we were losing. We're like beaten puppies. When I master gives us a treat, we think it's poisoned.

I'm looking for virtual high-fives, not 73 reasons why we are going to suck next week. Wait, no, next week. Wait, no, next week... repeat until miserable.