Brad Smith

He has exemplified lethargic Bills. He may have been struggling with injuries (no official report) but simply failed to produce anything. Something has to be done to wake up Bills.

It's not Smith's fault. Dude was getting hit hard EVERY time he went for the ball. The way I look at it is he's lucky to be alive after the pounding he took.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked REALLY SLOW returning kicks today. It was just very concerning to me.

He's looked slow and tentative to me all year. I know people will cringe, but I think we oughta give Leodis another chance to return kicks, or just bench Smith and just let Spiller run 'em back next week.

By my count, Brad Smith cost us two TD's today: (a) dropped pass off his hands/pick; and (b) blown assignment on punt block.

On the punt, I'm not 100% sure; but looking at the replay, it sure looked like it was Smith's fault...

Does anybody ever wonder why players who come to a crappy organization play lousy? Players aren't stupid and they won't put out their best effort for crappy coaches who don't put their players in positions to succeed.

Maybe Brad Smith is playing lousy right now, but after he arrived in Buffalo and discovered the coaches were clueless in how to utilize his talents then maybe he is just going through the motions collecting his checks. Many players have come to the Bills just for a check. The organization is a joke and many players won't give maximum effort to an organization that is run like clowns and coached by clowns.

I am not defending players who do this, but it is just an observation.

Does anybody ever wonder why players who come to a crappy organization play lousy? Players aren't stupid and they won't put out their best effort for crappy coaches who don't put their players in positions to succeed.

Maybe Brad Smith is playing lousy right now, but after he arrived in Buffalo and discovered the coaches were clueless in how to utilize his talents then maybe he is just going through the motions collecting his checks. Many players have come to the Bills just for a check. The organization is a joke and many players won't give maximum effort to an organization that is run like clowns and coached by clowns.

I am not defending players who do this, but it is just an observation.

The only exception to this appears to be Nick Barnett....he was a good signing and is playing well.....BS has been overrated from day one.

You look at the guy and wonder .... what exactly does he do?

On a college team, I can see how he could be a fantastic weapon - passer, receiver, returner. On a pro team, he's a "not-too-good" version of each one of those things. Strikingly similar to .... #28.

What is Buddy's thought process on these guys, given all the obvious critical core needs?

I like Brad Smith and was excited about the signing at the time. But what are we doing with this guy??? He doesnt play like he wants to be here. He is hardly on the field. What are our plans with him?? I ask the same of Spiller. We may have picked both these boys up for a reason but we arent good enough to utilize them peoperly. Trade em both. I give up.

The guy is a wildcat QB who we are sending over the middle on crossing routes. Of course he looks bad. Those are the only looks he is getting on offense.

I don't believe anybody mentioned this yet, but the blocked punt was 100% HIS FAULT. Look at the replay - he is the backup behind the right guard. He doesn't look at the rush and shifts to the middle and starts running down the field as the Dolphins rusher runs right through the spot he just left to block the punt.

The guy is a wildcat QB who we are sending over the middle on crossing routes. Of course he looks bad. Those are the only looks he is getting on offense.

I don't believe anybody mentioned this yet, but the blocked punt was 100% HIS FAULT. Look at the replay - he is the backup behind the right guard. He doesn't look at the rush and shifts to the middle and starts running down the field as the Dolphins rusher runs right through the spot he just left to block the punt.

I thought it was a defensive back who missed the block on the punt... In fact, I'm pretty sure it was.

No. It was Smith. Brad blew his assignment.

Here's the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d8244a7d4/WK-11-Can-t-Miss-Play-Dolphins-block-punt-and-score

That wasn't Smith's guy to block. Maybe an argument could be made that he was supposed to pick someone up if the other guy missed the block, but the defensive back (can't tell who from the picture, but I *think* it was Searcy) was supposed to pick up the inside rusher because on a punt, the outside rusher generally won't get in. He instead picked up the outside guy. Brad Smith was clearly looking to block someone who comes from up the middle and seeing nothing, ran downfield to cover the punt.

Smith didn't miss the block, the other guy did.

Here's the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d8244a7d4/WK-11-Can-t-Miss-Play-Dolphins-block-punt-and-score

That wasn't Smith's guy to block. Maybe an argument could be made that he was supposed to pick someone up if the other guy missed the block, but the defensive back (can't tell who from the picture, but I *think* it was Searcy) was supposed to pick up the inside rusher because on a punt, the outside rusher generally won't get in. He instead picked up the outside guy. Brad Smith was clearly looking to block someone who comes from up the middle and seeing nothing, ran downfield to cover the punt.

Smith didn't miss the block, the other guy did.

Thanks. I've seen the play and you're wrong.

Thanks. I've seen the play and you're wrong.

Of course he is, this is the blame Smith thread, how dare he come here and not blame him. I'm sure you were right there with the coaching staff and know the assignments of each and ever player on the play to tell who is assigned to block who.

When Smith was being used as a Wild Cat QB he was effective, but they have gotten away from teh Wild cat and now he is being used as a WR because the Bills are short there. He was never billed as a great WR. On kick returns, these new rules have really ruined the return game. There is alot more touchbacks and little returns. He was a better returner for the Jets last season because he had a bit more time to field the ball and run, now thats being elimenated with the closer kicks

Face it, the Bills paid $15MM for a special teams/Wild Cat QB guy because he had a couple kick return TDs last year.

Fixed it

Fixed it

No, you just perpetuated the myth. Smith averages less than 1.5 carries per game in his career for a reason. The 'wildcat' is nothing more than an occasional gimmick for desperate teams (or a frequent gimmick if you are Denver).

No, you just perpetuated the myth. Smith averages less than 1.5 carries per game in his career for a reason. The 'wildcat' is nothing more than an occasional gimmick for desperate teams (or a frequent gimmick if you are Denver).

No, I am not wrong, he was brought in to be a Kick returner and the 3rd string Wild Cat QB. Weither its a gimmick or not, its what they paid him to come here and do

Please get rid of Smith after the season. Do not want to see that soft, no talent quitter on this team next year. Love how his "ribs" were hurt on the pick that bounced right off his hands, then was back in the game shorly thereafter sucking, all the while looking like a big p*#sy out there. He looked so scared I thought he was gonna crap his pants. Nice representation of a "tough" Buffalo team Brad.