Why Not 3-4?

At the beginning of the year we were told that the Bills would run a "hybrid" defense since they felt they still lacked the personnel/experience to run an effective, straight-up 3-4. Well, this year I see no hybrid. I see a 4-3 or nickel nearly every snap with a 3-4 sprinkled in here and there. First, why are we barely running a 3-4 when we spent all offseason trying to get closer to the 3-4 with personnel? Second, if you're running a hybrid because of personnel issues, why the freak are you not using ANY shifts, stunts, blitzes, etc? The defensive side of the ball is loaded with young and old talent, and we are just running them into the ground by putting everyone out of position and making them play without any help from scheming. This is just sickening to me. Thoughts?

At the beginning of the year we were told that the Bills would run a "hybrid" defense since they felt they still lacked the personnel/experience to run an effective, straight-up 3-4. Well, this year I see no hybrid. I see a 4-3 or nickel nearly every snap with a 3-4 sprinkled in here and there. First, why are we barely running a 3-4 when we spent all offseason trying to get closer to the 3-4 with personnel? Second, if you're running a hybrid because of personnel issues, why the freak are you not using ANY shifts, stunts, blitzes, etc? The defensive side of the ball is loaded with young and old talent, and we are just running them into the ground by putting everyone out of position and making them play without any help from scheming. This is just sickening to me. Thoughts?

I think that they realize that both Dareus and KW, who are their best defenders, are better suited as 3 techs. They also know that there isn't a 34 OLB on this roster who will ever amount to anything. It's as simple as that. Nix has simply ignored the gaping hole at OLB which makes the 34 defense special.

I think that they realize that both Dareus and KW, who are their best defenders, are better suited as 3 techs. They also know that there isn't a 34 OLB on this roster who will ever amount to anything. It's as simple as that. Nix has simply ignored the gaping hole at OLB which makes the 34 defense special.

I see some of this. However, they have Torrell Troup back, who, for better or for worse, is GOING to play. He is a true 3-4 NT and that allows you to play Dareus at his normal position (3-4 DE) and puts KW at what is not so much his suited position (but he can play anywhere- 3-4 DE). It's better to put proven multi-technique players a little outside their positions than to put people like Shawne Merriman at 4-3 DE, which is a complete and utter waste of talent. Merriman and Kelsay are BOTH undersized 4-3 DEs.

I've always thought (but never really expressed on here) that we're better suited as a 4-3 defense. Dareus and Williams are penetrating DTs. Kelsay is a much better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 LB. Even Barnett was an All Pro as a MLB in Green Bay's 4-3 defense.

I've always thought (but never really expressed on here) that we're better suited as a 4-3 defense. Dareus and Williams are penetrating DTs. Kelsay is a much better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 LB. Even Barnett was an All Pro as a MLB in Green Bay's 4-3 defense.

I agree, we are closer to a solid 4-3 than 3-4. But at the same time you cant be playing Kelsay at OLB in the 4-3 (which I saw yesterday). Just let him play LDE. Carrington can play there too, and I have seen him inside at the 3 tech which I think is a decent move. Davis I always thought was good but has barely played.

But PLEASE give Moats a chance. He produced last year as a rusher, I have no reason to think he cant this year. We have to try something different.

Hit the nail on the head, this Hybrid sucks, we now have the guys for a 34 and they want to run a 43 :doh::wallbash:

I see some of this. However, they have Torrell Troup back, who, for better or for worse, is GOING to play. He is a true 3-4 NT and that allows you to play Dareus at his normal position (3-4 DE) and puts KW at what is not so much his suited position (but he can play anywhere- 3-4 DE). It's better to put proven multi-technique players a little outside their positions than to put people like Shawne Merriman at 4-3 DE, which is a complete and utter waste of talent. Merriman and Kelsay are BOTH undersized 4-3 DEs.

forget Troupe

DE Dareus

NT Kyle

DE Heard who is way better than Troupe and should have stayed activated.

Yes Nix has "simply ignored the gaping hole at OLB". What is his problem? He's had one full off season and a shortened off season from the strike to fix everything about this team. That should be plenty of time. He's asleep at the wheel. We obviously aren't getting better with him and Gailey at the helm. Frankly I'm ready to move on. Just another on a long list of Ralphy's boys that just leave us fans without an OLB or Right Tackle.