Terra Nova

John Adams

All spot on. Sending people on a one way trip into the past 85 million years is a premise that just works. The execution has been beyond awful.

How much money was spent on the scene where the purple dinosaur is heading for the little girl? Lots. Wasted.

Why not leave Avatar guy and the dad in the forest until next episode? Where'd they go? What'd they run into? Instead it's run back for prehistoric sex and make sure his shirt comes off again ala the world's most shirtless man, Sawyer. OR how about the people start dying in the forest from the attacks and that mystery is prolonged instead of being solved the second time the dad goes to check on the squaking? Rush, rush, rush.

I'll probably watch next week because my family is out of town. After that, it will have to get a major buzz going to keep me interested.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All spot on. Sending people on a one way trip into the past 85 million years is a premise that just works. The execution has been beyond awful.

How much money was spent on the scene where the purple dinosaur is heading for the little girl? Lots. Wasted.

Why not leave Avatar guy and the dad in the forest until next episode? Where'd they go? What'd they run into? Instead it's run back for prehistoric sex and make sure his shirt comes off again ala the world's most shirtless man, Sawyer. OR how about the people start dying in the forest from the attacks and that mystery is prolonged instead of being solved the second time the dad goes to check on the squaking? Rush, rush, rush.

I'll probably watch next week because my family is out of town. After that, it will have to get a major buzz going to keep me interested.

You're bringing up some great points. Another one I can't get over is the meteoric rise of 'Dad' through the ranks of Avatar guy's staff. Day one he gets found out for being a stowaway/escaped fugitive. Day two saves Avatar guys life from assassination (kinda) and gets promoted to 'cop'. Now he's basically Avatar guys right-hand man and personal confidant. I guess Avatar guy didn't connect with anyone else over the two plus years he'd already been there.

I'll give it a few more shows then decide if it stays on the DVR list.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

Excellent points as well. It's funny because I'm going through the development process currently with two different projects and the one thing I'm learning is its different every time. I point that out only to make it clear that I'm guessing entirely on what sort of development process this show went through.

But it's playing like they're afraid of their own concept. It's like they're afraid that if they don't wrap everything up neatly RIGHT away, that the audience will poke holes in it, criticize it, or tune out. They're showing absolutely no faith in the audience's intelligence or patience.

Everyone's so afraid of making a bomb they forget that taking risks is part of creativity.

Excellent points as well. It's funny because I'm going through the development process currently with two different projects and the one thing I'm learning is its different every time. I point that out only to make it clear that I'm guessing entirely on what sort of development process this show went through.

But it's playing like they're afraid of their own concept. It's like they're afraid that if they don't wrap everything up neatly RIGHT away, that the audience will poke holes in it, criticize it, or tune out. They're showing absolutely no faith in the audience's intelligence or patience.

Everyone's so afraid of making a bomb they forget that taking risks is part of creativity.

Interesting take. They are making the show episodic and not serial. I have no interest in seeing what mischief these rascally kids can get themselves into and out of in a 40 minute story arc.

But I guess that's what they decided to appeal to in the show. It's closer to Land of the Lost than LOST. Not for me.

Glad Walking Dead is back soon.

Interesting take. They are making the show episodic and not serial. I have no interest in seeing what mischief these rascally kids can get themselves into and out of in a 40 minute story arc.

But I guess that's what they decided to appeal to in the show. It's closer to Land of the Lost than LOST. Not for me.

Glad Walking Dead is back soon.

correct. i think its more like the old startrek. they always had a big big problem. big ass spiders aboard the ship, at the end of the episode, spiders would be all dead or all gone.

honestly guys, im not a harsh critic. i actualy dont think the special effects are as bad as everyone says they are.

i cant dump a dino show with a good idea after 2 weeks.

my only complaint right now is there are no real bombshell hotties on the show. there is a lot of pretty. but thats it.

correct. i think its more like the old startrek. they always had a big big problem. big ass spiders aboard the ship, at the end of the episode, spiders would be all dead or all gone.

honestly guys, im not a harsh critic. i actualy dont think the special effects are as bad as everyone says they are.

i cant dump a dino show with a good idea after 2 weeks.

my only complaint right now is there are no real bombshell hotties on the show. there is a lot of pretty. but thats it.

For me it's not really that the effects are horrible, it's more that they don't look good enough to be highlighted so often. By that I mean, rather than spend so much time and energy creating sprawling cgi vistas and backgrounds or populating a scene with 100 dinos, why not spend those resources on one or two kick ass dinos an episode. This is a show about pioneers who are on their own cut off from the world. You don't need three big dinos to make a threat, you can do more with one kick ass one.

And that carries over to the characters themselves. Spend more time building the characters and then putting them in jeopardy rather than simply rushing into action set piece after action set piece just because you need a big act out. Character CAN be just as effective of an act out as a huge set piece.

But that's me.

I kind of get the show after this week.

It has no interest in being a serial show--it wants to be episodic. It's Star Trek (as someone else said) meets Land of the Lost, more on the Land of the Lost kids level. That makes it less interesting to me but I hope kids are watching, as it's got enough light sci-fi in it to be fun for the U17 crowd. As they are trying to figure out why the memory virus hasn't spread to the dad, he let's out a sneeze--an over-the-top reminder that he has a cold--a moment written for a pretty dense audience.

I will probably let the TiVo keep recording it but I don't know if I'll really keep up with it. Still, I hope it succeeds. And there are a few serial issues that might keep me coming back.

Edited by John Adams

I kind of get the show after this week.

It has no interest in being a serial show--it wants to be episodic. It's Star Trek (as someone else said) meets Land of the Lost, more on the Land of the Lost kids level. That makes it less interesting to me but I hope kids are watching, as it's got enough light sci-fi in it to be fun for the U17 crowd. As they are trying to figure out why the memory virus hasn't spread to the dad, he let's out a sneeze--an over-the-top reminder that he has a cold--a moment written for a pretty dense audience.

I will probably let the TiVo keep recording it but I don't know if I'll really keep up with it. Still, I hope it succeeds. And there are a few serial issues that might keep me coming back.

Yeah ... it's pretty clear that you're right. I think it's a shame. It's a fun concept, a good cast (seriously, everyone on the show is too pretty but I won't complain), and a good writing staff. But that is such a hard market to tap with a network show like this, if that's the demo they're chasing, this show is doomed.

I want to like it. I really do ...

The past show was awful. We'd get better writing and plot development from some high schooler's trying to earn extra credit.

Like you guys, I want to like this show, but it won't let me. And I'm easily entertained.

You mean you didn't like it when they spread the rotovirus by kissing each other?

Really awful stuff. But I get it now: It's written for my 9 year old daughter, not me.

i actually thought episode 3 was decent. episode 1>3>2

the indian looking wife is getting pertier and pertier as each episode passes.

i liked malcolm getting his face socked in. i wanted that to happen and it did.

for those that want to like it, this may help you:

1. in the sneak peak the show finally "appears" as if it will become continous and non episodic. the 6xers may get in war...hostage....

2. they are not giving up on the dinos (episode 3 had dino eating head in first scene, other mid size dinos trying to eat head but prefer nickel. plus big ass brontosaurus going over someones head.)

my only complain is that problems get solved too quickly. the cure for SEVERE memory loss gets solved in a couple of hours?????? if they avert a meteor by changing some computer codes, then i'll give up.

stupid friggin baseball game ran over and I didnt get to see this weeks' episode

If you have Time Warner you can get old episodes on demand. When your TV is tuned to any major network, just hit your select button and a pop-up with an on-demand option will appear. You'll then be able to browse all networks' shows.

Trying hard to like this show but it feels like Lost in Space meets Twilight with an occasional dinosaur thrown in to keep us coming back.

The cheesy costumes, especially on the sixers, reminds me of the cast of Karate Kid doing bad Road Warrior impressions.

For me it's not really that the effects are horrible, it's more that they don't look good enough to be highlighted so often. By that I mean, rather than spend so much time and energy creating sprawling cgi vistas and backgrounds or populating a scene with 100 dinos, why not spend those resources on one or two kick ass dinos an episode. This is a show about pioneers who are on their own cut off from the world. You don't need three big dinos to make a threat, you can do more with one kick ass one.

And that carries over to the characters themselves. Spend more time building the characters and then putting them in jeopardy rather than simply rushing into action set piece after action set piece just because you need a big act out. Character CAN be just as effective of an act out as a huge set piece.

But that's me.

Tgreg,

Do you think they are not doing the character biulding because it takes too much time and are afraid the show might get dropped?

I am actually trying to understand the whole "this show lives" and "that show gets dropped" thing....like Charlies Angles got canned just recently....while there was so much promotion of it.

Personally....I like the character biulding but it s a fine line because you have to have enough action to keep people turned in.

Edited by John from Hemet

I finally caught this week's episode. I actually dug this one the most out of all of them so far. I give a lot of credit to John Cassar for that, but it was a step in the right direction. It gives me a bit of hope that the show will start to move more towards what I think it should be rather than what it started out as.

The episode still bugged me a bit though. I wanted the reveal to be that the only reason why Mirra (I think that's her name) went through all that trouble wasn't to get the box. It was to get a chance to talk to O'Mara. Instead it was really about what's inside the box ... which feels like a cheat. But I'll allow it I guess. Even though I would have told the story differently, I dug the episode.

Tgreg,

Do you think they are not doing the character biulding because it takes too much time and are afraid the show might get dropped?

I am actually trying to understand the whole "this show lives" and "that show gets dropped" thing....like Charlies Angles got canned just recently....while there was so much promotion of it.

Personally....I like the character biulding but it s a fine line because you have to have enough action to keep people turned in.

I think that's the biggest reason from the network's perspective -- but in their defense, they only fear that because they think that's what their audiences want. Which I think is flat out wrong. The network doesn't think people will watch a high concept sci-fi show that doesn't stick to a predictable pattern they're familiar with. Someone in here, I forget who, called it Star Trek. And they're right. It feels like Star Trek because Star Trek worked before and the network takes comfort in that.

I think the networks underestimate their audience. Audiences don't care about whether a show sticks to a formula that's worked in the past. They want to be challenged. There's so much competition for people's attention now, more than ever before. It's not just movies and the radio that TV has to compete with, it's iPads, smart phones, video games, and -- thanks to the internet -- every single movie, sporting event and episode of television ever made.

The network response has been to dumb down it's product so that people with short attention spans can watch their shows while surfing the net or texting without having to worry about keeping up because it's familiar. But that, to me, is not the answer.

Technology has become cheap enough that the visual wall between movies and television is almost gone. There are TV shows on the air today that look as good as a feature film week in and week out. Audiences expect that from all their shows now. There's enough talent in this town to make that happen to -- from behind the camera to in front of the camera.

Cable embraced this which is why it has flourished. AMC came out of nowhere to become a power player right up there along side HBO and Showtime. Some of the best stories being told today aren't at your local cinemas, they're on your TV screens. If you're going to have any hope to compete as a new show, you better bring something !@#$ing awesome to the table. A high concept and an old formula isn't enough.

But new = risk for the networks.

Just my worthless two cents.

I finally caught this week's episode. I actually dug this one the most out of all of them so far. I give a lot of credit to John Cassar for that, but it was a step in the right direction. It gives me a bit of hope that the show will start to move more towards what I think it should be rather than what it started out as.

The episode still bugged me a bit though. I wanted the reveal to be that the only reason why Mirra (I think that's her name) went through all that trouble wasn't to get the box. It was to get a chance to talk to O'Mara. Instead it was really about what's inside the box ... which feels like a cheat. But I'll allow it I guess. Even though I would have told the story differently, I dug the episode.

I think that's the biggest reason from the network's perspective -- but in their defense, they only fear that because they think that's what their audiences want. Which I think is flat out wrong. The network doesn't think people will watch a high concept sci-fi show that doesn't stick to a predictable pattern they're familiar with. Someone in here, I forget who, called it Star Trek. And they're right. It feels like Star Trek because Star Trek worked before and the network takes comfort in that.

I think the networks underestimate their audience. Audiences don't care about whether a show sticks to a formula that's worked in the past. They want to be challenged. There's so much competition for people's attention now, more than ever before. It's not just movies and the radio that TV has to compete with, it's iPads, smart phones, video games, and -- thanks to the internet -- every single movie, sporting event and episode of television ever made.

The network response has been to dumb down it's product so that people with short attention spans can watch their shows while surfing the net or texting without having to worry about keeping up because it's familiar. But that, to me, is not the answer.

Technology has become cheap enough that the visual wall between movies and television is almost gone. There are TV shows on the air today that look as good as a feature film week in and week out. Audiences expect that from all their shows now. There's enough talent in this town to make that happen to -- from behind the camera to in front of the camera.

Cable embraced this which is why it has flourished. AMC came out of nowhere to become a power player right up there along side HBO and Showtime. Some of the best stories being told today aren't at your local cinemas, they're on your TV screens. If you're going to have any hope to compete as a new show, you better bring something !@#$ing awesome to the table. A high concept and an old formula isn't enough.

But new = risk for the networks.

Just my worthless two cents.

Certainly not a worthless two cents for me.... :flirt:

But the way I feel about this (and correct me if I am wrong about this Tgeg)

If you can find a way to keep the short attention span folks watching with some great action long enough.....then you can start getting into the character biuldng then all of sudden people start identifying with the characters of the show......then you have.....

HEROS and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Shows that ran for multiple seasons and was highly successful...what great shows

Certainly not a worthless two cents for me.... :flirt:

But the way I feel about this (and correct me if I am wrong about this Tgeg)

If you can find a way to keep the short attention span folks watching with some great action long enough.....then you can start getting into the character biuldng then all of sudden people start identifying with the characters of the show......then you have.....

HEROS and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Shows that ran for multiple seasons and was highly successful...what great shows

No, you're absolutely right. There are 100s of ways to get around this problem and that is certainly one of them. I certainly hope that's what happens with Terra Nova (and the last episode gave me a bit of hope for that).

I wish I could have had a flip video with me over the past three months. I've been in development on a project and I've had to sit and listen to all sorts of notes/takes/ideas/spins on it. From pointed and astute to absolutely crazy and inane. I've heard from execs everything from: "It's too smart" to "It's too edgy" to "It's not edgy enough" to "It's too sci-fi" to "It's not sci-fi enough" to "can we make this more like 24". Seriously, if I mashed those meetings up it'd be YouTube gold.

Everyone wants to make something great -- even those execs who appear to be trying to water things down. It's just people are afraid to take risks in Network television because there's such a high cost for failing. But that's the game. Creativity is about taking risks. That's why cable has been dominating in terms of quality of storytelling.

That's not to say there are no good or great network shows. There absolutely are. They're just the minority. But I think that will change as the networks start to rethink their philosophies (which is already starting to happen).