Official Conference Realignment Rumor Thread

Ramius

No longer a rumor, it's official:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (September 25, 2011) – The Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors, acting unanimously, announced today that Texas A&M University will join the Southeastern Conference effective July 1, 2012, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2012-13 academic year.

My link

Welcome to the SEC, Aggies.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about the shared TV network. Aggies on the Bama boards have talked about it.

FWIW, they claim Texas wanted a 70/30 split.

I never brought it up, because I had no idea if it was pure BS or not.

What I did find interesting are some of the comments made by AD Dodds.

I can't say for sure if it's him, the school or both, but some of those comments smack of arrogance:

"It's not about what we did," Dodds said. "It's about what they didn't do -- create their own network."

Yes and no. Other than approaching aTm, Texas never proposed a conference wide network.

And the only reason Texas approached aTm was due Texas not believing it could do it alone

Heck, Texas even admits this: "At the time, the Longhorns weren't sure they could carry a network on their own."

Does this mean if Texas knew then they could carry it by themselves, would they have even approached aTm?

"Nobody seemed concerned with it until it was done," Dodds said. "I find it interesting that it's a problem today ... If somebody is surprised by this deal, they haven't been paying attention."

Actually, no. Many people within Texas A&M had a problem with it.

It was when Texas started talking about broadcasting the high school games of potential recruits, that was the last straw.

"Dodds would not comment on speculation on which teams that may be invited to join, such as BYU or Pittsburgh."

Why is Pitt still being mentioned? They are going to the ACC. Does the Big12 actually think they could entice Pittsburgh?

Or Arkansas (Arkansas has already admitted they were contacted by the Big12. )?

AP: Mizzou hoping to join SEC, reveal they were shunned by the Big 10 last year

Missouri curators agreed unanimously Tuesday night to give Chancellor Brady Deaton the authority to look elsewhere rather than immediately commit to the reeling Big 12. Just one day earlier, Deaton and other Big 12 chancellors and presidents agreed to equally share revenue from the conference's most lucrative television deals if member schools agree to give those top-tier rights to the league for at least six years.

State Sen. Kurt Schaefer, a Republican whose Columbia district includes the Missouri campus, said his constituents are "hands down" in favor of an SEC move. Now that Missouri has made its desire to roam known, he has doubts that a union with the Big 12 can be salvaged.

"It's kind of like a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship," said Schaefer, a Missouri graduate. "Once it's fractured and somebody gets a wandering eye, can you repair that? It's not clear."

Big 12 Invites TCU Yet Another Blow for Big East

Four days after reaffirming a commitment to the Big East, Texas Christian University is apparently leaving the conference at the altar.

TCU, scheduled to join the Big East in 2012, has been invited to join the Big 12 and indications are strong that the school is accepting the offer. On the heels of losing Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big East is reeling from the latest defection.

Can't say I blame them....

Can't blame them at all. Mizzou is supposedly seriously looking hard at the SEC, and i'd expect them to become team #14, so i wonder how this will affect them?

If the Big XII was smart, they'd make a run at Boise and a team like BYU.

Mountain West, Conference-USA plan football merger

The two leagues expect to merge their football operations into one mega-conference that will probably have between 20 and 24 teams in it when it finally gets going in 2013.

The name? They'll come up with one.

Will Boise State and Air Force, among others, stay? They hope.

But in a related note...

AP source: Big East to invite Boise St., Army, Navy in football; Central Florida in all sports

Missouri application to join SEC imminent

It's been rumored that they've been sleeping together for a few months now, but now it's getting closer to becoming official with Missou ready to file for a marriage license....

Also in here, the Big 12 is reportedly courting Louisville and WV.

I suspect the SEC will require Mizzou to file it's divorce papers before they will accept any marriage proposal (just like Texas A&M had to).

If Mizzou does get accepted, the Aubies have expressed a desire in moving to the East division.

The idiots think the competition will be easier over there, failing to realize these things move in cycles.

I don't think Florida and Tennessee will stay down long.

I still wonder if the SEC and ACC sit at 14 (an odd alignment/scheduling number) or move on to 16.

I dont know why Auburn is in a hurry to move east. As Cynical said, these things are cyclical, and before too long, i agree that UF and Tenn will be back. UGA can also make a quick turn-around is they get rid of Richt, who's program has become stale up there in Athens.

The Big XII will add 2 more, but Mack Brown and Bob Stoops are whining about staying at 10, because they don't want a championship game. Nothing lke being a chickenshit program too afraid to play in a title game because it may "hurt your chances at the NC." Its reasons like this that i hope a team winning a conference title game jumps the Big XII champ in the BCS at the end of the year.

I still wonder if the SEC and ACC sit at 14 (an odd alignment/scheduling number) or move on to 16.

I dont know why Auburn is in a hurry to move east. As Cynical said, these things are cyclical, and before too long, i agree that UF and Tenn will be back. UGA can also make a quick turn-around is they get rid of Richt, who's program has become stale up there in Athens.

The Big XII will add 2 more, but Mack Brown and Bob Stoops are whining about staying at 10, because they don't want a championship game. Nothing lke being a chickenshit program too afraid to play in a title game because it may "hurt your chances at the NC." Its reasons like this that i hope a team winning a conference title game jumps the Big XII champ in the BCS at the end of the year.

Doubt that would happen. If Oklahoma/Oklahoma St run the table that game December 3rd which falls on the same day as chhampionship Saturday where all the other conferences play their championship game will essentially be a playoff game with the winner to go to the National Championship & the loser to go the Fiesta Bowl to probably play an undefeated Boise State or a 2 loss POregon team(assuming they lose to Stanford). November 5th is the other playoff game into the national championship between LSU/Bama. The way this is setting up there are going to be some incredible BCS bowl matchups. Bama/Oklahoma in the NC, a 12-0 Wisconsin against a 12-0 Stanford in the Rose Bowl, Oregon/Oklahoma St in the Fiesta Bowl, a one loss LSU team facing Boise St in the Sugar Bowl. The only sh*t BCS Bowl would be the Orange Bowl with possibly an undefeated Clemson playing West Virginia & even that is not that bad. I know alot could happen in the next 7-8 weeks but I seriously can never remember the BCS being this top heavy in all the years they have had it in place. If the teams that are supposed to win keep winning there are going to be about 5-6 teams that have a legit arguement to be in the National Championship. That is crazy.

Big East Headed To [Football-Only C-USA/Mountain-West Merger] Super Conference?

In a 32-team concept, the West Division would consist of Boise State, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State and San Jose State.

The Mountain Division would consist of Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa and Houston.

The Central Division would consist of Marshall, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, UAB, Rice, Temple and Louisiana Tech.

And the Big East Division would consist of UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina and Navy.

Interesting rumor....

Edited by UConn James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.