Janikowski ties record

Wacka

In the Raiders-Broncos game tonight Sebastian Janikowski kicked a 63-yard FG on the last play of the half to tie Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam for the record. Two (Elam & Janikowski) were done in Denver,

Yeah, except Tom Dempsey's kick was in New Orleans; Janikowski and Elam's kicks were in Denver. 63 yards in Denver = 58(?) yards anywhere else. Oh, and Dempsey did it with half a foot. His is still more impressive. Although the record will be broken at some point. Janikowski is primed to do it, but Matt Prater, David Beuchler could do it too. Mason Crosby has the leg, but he won't get the opportunity to in Green Bay. Rob Bironas in Tennessee could do it too.

It might be slightly hyperbolic to say that the kick, while impressive, "doesn't really matter," but something tells me by your signature you've got hyperbole pretty well down to a science by this point.

Yeah, except Tom Dempsey's kick was in New Orleans; Janikowski and Elam's kicks were in Denver. 63 yards in Denver = 58(?) yards anywhere else. Oh, and Dempsey did it with half a foot. His is still more impressive. Although the record will be broken at some point. Janikowski is primed to do it, but Matt Prater, David Beuchler could do it too. Mason Crosby has the leg, but he won't get the opportunity to in Green Bay. Rob Bironas in Tennessee could do it too.

It might be slightly hyperbolic to say that the kick, while impressive, "doesn't really matter," but something tells me by your signature you've got hyperbole pretty well down to a science by this point.

I think sea bass could hit 60+ just about anywhere. Much easier to pull the trigger in Denver though. Less second guessing.

Frankly what will limit him is how many times Oakland has the ball at the end of the first half, or end of a game down 3 or less, and the ball between the 45-50 both requiring about 5 or less seconds left.

Edited by NoSaint

I think sea bass could hit 60+ just about anywhere. Much easier to pull the trigger in Denver though. Less second guessing.

Frankly what will limit him is how many times Oakland has the ball at the end of the first half, or end of a game down 3 or less, and the ball between the 45-50 both requiring about 5 or less seconds left.

It's not about second guessing (Janikowski was twice suspected of date rape/attempted date rape - you think he second guesses anything in his life?). The hardest part about long field goals isn't the leg strength needed to hit them, it's the amount of time the ball has to move wide. Those goalposts look a lot skinnier from 60 yards than they do from 30. Think about it: when was the last time you saw a FG miss short??

It's not about second guessing (Janikowski was twice suspected of date rape/attempted date rape - you think he second guesses anything in his life?). The hardest part about long field goals isn't the leg strength needed to hit them, it's the amount of time the ball has to move wide. Those goalposts look a lot skinnier from 60 yards than they do from 30. Think about it: when was the last time you saw a FG miss short??

More than a few times. Which is odd as you'd hope your kicker would have a solid grasp on range. It's also about clearing the line while driving the ball, and keeping it straight while crushing it too. And the reasons you mention ie having a 5 degree acceptable spray vs say 1-2. I get it.

I meant coaches second guessing

Edited by NoSaint

Amazing!! Just goes to show you that you never

want to miss watching any sporting event.. you never know

what you new record you might miss!

Really? Any sporting event?

... Anyways, I wish we were playing this Denver team on Sunday instead of Oakland. Their O-line looks absolutely bad and McGahee is their best offensive weapon. These Broncos fans are idiots for calling for Tebow...I hope he can play right tackle... Yikes.

Oakland's D looks scary, not looking forward to that next week.

Edited by West End Stench

Really? Any sporting event?

... Anyways, I wish we were playing this Denver team on Sunday instead of Oakland. Their O-line looks absolutely bad and McGahee is their best offensive weapon. These Broncos fans are idiots for calling for Tebow...I hope he can play right tackle... Yikes.

Oakland's D looks scary, not looking forward to that next week.

Exactly! I hope Bell does his best against the Raiders DL