Experience exactly the right amount of giddiness over this win

Orton's Arm

It's almost always a mistake to read too much into a blowout win. If the Bills and the Chiefs were to play each other ten times, very few of the games would go as well as this one did.

But that shouldn't stop us from recognizing that this team has taken a significant step forward from last year. Chandler, Dareus, Barnett, and Aaron Williams are new additions to the team, and played very well against the Chiefs. I imagine each of the four will be an important part of the Bills' plans for many years to come. Additionally, several players from last year seem to have taken a step up: Jackson, Fitzpatrick, Scott, Byrd, Bell, and others. Maybe some of those guys just had a good game and will soon revert to last year's form. But it's easy to imagine some of those guys playing better than they had a year ago.

A third source of optimism comes from players who weren't necessarily starters this past Sunday, but who very well may have bright futures for the Bills. For example, it wouldn't shock me if at some point Hairston became the Bills' starting RT. I also thought White looked pretty good at RB.

Don't forget Merriman! Not a huge impact yesterday but still an important cog. Wannstedt too is making a HUGE difference in this defense that is immeasurable.

I didn't mention Merriman for two reasons:

1) I think he proved a lot more in the preseason than he did against Kansas City. Merriman's main value is as a pass rusher, but the Bills seemed more interested in using him to contain the Chiefs' running game than their passing attack.

2) Everyone should experience exactly the right amount of giddiness over this game. No more, no less. Getting giddy over Merriman--especially when he didn't do much as a pass rusher against the Chiefs--seems like a little too much giddiness for one week. Let's save the Merriman-related merriment for when he gets some regular season sacks! :thumbsup:

That said, I agree with you that he's likely to be a very important part of this defense. I also agree that having Wannstedt here is huge, especially given the inexperience of the Bills' defensive coordinator. I know that Wannestedt has traditionally been a 4-3 guy. I hope he takes the opportunity to become a guy who knows both the 4-3 and 3-4. A guy who can use either tool as the situation requires.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Yes, there are some young players coming into their own. That play where Byrd dropped Charles for a 6 yard loss on a screen pass was awesome. I was reading an article talking about it that makes a lot of sense. They said Byrd is able to make that play because other guys in the defense are where they are supposed to be. But it's more than that. Byrd is able to make the play because he trusts that the other guys are where they are supposed to be.

It's real hard to stay grounded when you see sooo many positive things happening. Nearly all of us have been guilty of being critical of our offensive line, but I have to say it The OL came out and played at a very high level Sunday. WTF... that was my perceived biggest weakness on this team and they actually dominated? How does that happen?

Then there is that feeling you get when you just know that something terrible is going to happen. Like when you throw a touchdown catch and watch as the play is reviewed...that sinking feeling...it is then discovered that the receiver didn't maintain possession as he went out of bounds and the play goes back. To make matters worse a penalty is called on the next play making a field goal attempt even longer. Still a 49 yarder shouldn't be that hard to make, right? Yes, Wide right. But of course all of that didn't happen to the Bills. It happened to the Chiefs. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost.

I get the feeling that someone one this team from the deep south knows voodoo. The curse that has been the Bills' for the last 10 years has been transferred to the KC Chiefs. Hey, that works for me, whoever is responsible. :thumbsup:

My other biggest concern was seeing Fitzy get wild, which he did to a small degree. But man did he make up for it. Four touchdown passes? Are you kidding me? Zero interceptions? Two of the TDs to a TE? Somebody explain to me what just happened here. This game added to the 14 games Fitz played last year places him squarely in the top 10 QBs in the league last year. Who da thunk?

And Fred Jackson. His running style is very dominating. He goes between the tackles, breaks tackles and pushes people for extra yards. This is a football warrior. Can anyone say man crush?

Ok, now the bad news. KC is not very good. At least they weren't very good this Sunday. The Oakland Raiders beat the Broncos and the Patriot's* beat the Dolphins. Our next 2 opponents are not going to be pushovers. The Bills need to take the next step and they cannot overlook anyone. It's hard to play angry when you win a 41-7 blowout. They need to stay angry.

Edited by Rockinon