SEC Football Discussion 2011

ajzepp

This is the most excited I've ever been for the start of a college football season. Tomorrow night I will be glued to the tv for the two big games that will be on simultaneously starting at 8pm....Georgia v. Boise St and LSU vs. Oregon. Obviously the SEC is the premier conference in college football, and I would not be surprised if the national champion came out of this conference for the 6th straight time.

Who will be watching the games tomorrow??

BTW, those of you with smart phones (Android, iPhone), check out the app called "Official SEC". I just downloaded it and it's got a nice layout. I will be using this all season, I'm sure.

that and all SEC fans pretend there are no other divisions...seriously...there are a bunch of them out there!

I'm definitely not meaning to exclude other conferences...I just have really come to love this one :) Seriously, the rivalries and the fierce competition among these schools/coaches/players/alums is just intense as hell. If I wasn't right in the middle of it I probably wouldn't be as into it as I am, but having lived about a half hour from UGA for the past ten years, it's just too much to resist.

That being said, I want to reiterate my prediction (that I first made early last season) that Aaron Murray, Sophmore QB for the 'dawgs, will become one of the top QBs in college ball. This kid is a player...he's not phased by pressure, he has a knack for clutch playrs in crunch time, and he's only going to get better.

And to throw a bone to another conferernce, I was reading about the QB for Wisconsin last night...I guess this kid transferred in from another school and just lit up UNLV yesterday. Being that one of these young guns could be playing in a Bills uni in the next few years, I'm taking special note of the QB position in college, as are many of you. I'm over all the Andrew Luck talk...it's just not going to happen. I don't see us being among the losingest teams this season, so he won't be there when we draft next year. So I'm going to be keeping an eye on these younger kids who are in the process of growing into the role.

I never figured Matthew Stafford for a big time NFL QB, mainly because he never really had any "moments" when he was at GA. he's a smart kid with a big arm, and he's got a good head on his shoulders (comes from a great family), and so far he's playing really well in Detroit. I think Aaron Murray will end up being better than Stafford, and he had more "moments" last year than Stafford had in his few years as a starter. If you guys get a chance to check him out tomorrow night (ESPN, 8pm), chime in with your thoughts. Hopefully he'll have a great showing against a really solid team in Boise St.

Kickoff in 28 hours baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, we're trying to drum up interest and visibility of the college football board. We've got it, so let's use it.

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I just saw that a lot of these threads in here haven't been touched since 2010 lol.

But with all the college fans here, hopefully we can get it cranked up! College ball in general has nearly equalled the NFL (in general) for me in terms of my excitement level...tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

BTW Ramius, I was watching some of C.Ponder the other night...that guy had one of the most beautiful touch passes I've ever seen late in the game. He left the pocket and put a ball about 20 yds downfield right over a leaping CB and into the arms of his receiver...the kid throws a NICE ball and seems to have a real nice presence about him. I didn't know much about him prior to the draft, but I would have loved to have seen this kid in a Bills uni just based on the little bit I've seen so far. He's gonna be a keeper for the Vikes!

Wow, I just read that Spurrier has decided to BENCH Stephen Garcia and start Connor Shaw at QB today! I didn't see that coming. I knew he liked the Shaw kid and he got him some spot playing time last season, but this really comes as a surprise. I hope Spurrier knows what he's doing, cause they have a lot of nice talent on offense...you don't want it to go to waste!

Beg to differ, AJ, but the National Champion will be from the Big 12 (sans two) - Sooners are goin' all the way! (JMO.)

Lots of great college ball of TV today and, as Bills fans, lots of QBs to ponder between now and April 2012...

Link - Previewing Saturday’s college football TV games (Washington Post)

Great weekend to get our first look at #1-ranked Oklahoma and Landry Jones; Boise State's Kellen Moore will have his hands full against Georgia as he continues his quest to become the winning-est QB in the history of college football; Stanford and St. Andrew open against perennial WAC powerhouse San Jose State (1-12) this afternoon.

Unfortunately, no national TV coverage of Oklahoma State's opener against Louisiana-Lafayette - love to see OSU's Brandon Weeden connect with Justin Blackmon for about 500 yards - but I'll be watching that USC-Minnesota contest and Matt Barkley, whom I think just may end up in Bills blue in 2012. (Hopefully the media's continued obsession with Luck and Landry's perfect season will keep Barkley obscured just enough for him to slip to Buffalo late in round one.)

A great, safe, Labor Day/End-of-Summer/College Football Kickoff weekend to all! :thumbsup:

Beg to differ, AJ, but the National Champion will be from the Big 12 (sans two) - Sooners are goin' all the way! (JMO.)

Lots of great college ball of TV today and, as Bills fans, lots of QBs to ponder between now and April 2012...

Great weekend to get our first look at #1-ranked Oklahoma and Landry Jones; Boise State's Kellen Moore will have his hands full against Georgia as he continues his quest to become the winning-est QB in the history of college football; Stanford and St. Andrew open against perennial WAC powerhouse San Jose State (1-12) this afternoon.

Unfortunately, no national TV coverage of Oklahoma State's opener against Louisiana-Lafayette - love to see OSU's Brandon Weeden connect with Justin Blackmon for about 500 yards - but I'll be watching that USC-Minnesota contest and Matt Barkley, whom I think just may end up in Bills blue in 2012. (Hopefully the media's continued obsession with Luck and Landry's perfect season will keep Barkley obscured just enough for him to slip to Buffalo late in round one.)

A great, safe, Labor Day/End-of-Summer/College Football Kickoff weekend to all! :thumbsup:

I didn't realize the Sooners were the preseason #1 until just now...this should be interesting! Sounds like you're pretty high on Barkley...have you seen Aaron Murray play at all? If not, check him out tonight...I suspect he'll rise up for the big game, cause he's got that kind of pedigree :thumbsup:

I didn't realize the Sooners were the preseason #1 until just now...this should be interesting! Sounds like you're pretty high on Barkley...have you seen Aaron Murray play at all? If not, check him out tonight...I suspect he'll rise up for the big game, cause he's got that kind of pedigree :thumbsup:

Barkley 18/20, 3 TDs/0 INTs in first half against Minnesota - I still think he could slip to us if Jones and Luck steal all the limelight

Have not seen nor followed Murray (RS Sophmore?) - thanks for the 'heads up'

Also got Oregon's Darron Thomas up against LSU tonite!

Barkley 18/20, 3 TDs/0 INTs in first half against Minnesota - I still think he could slip to us if Jones and Luck steal all the limelight

Have not seen nor followed Murray (RS Sophmore?) - thanks for the 'heads up'

Also got Oregon's Darron Thomas up against LSU tonite!

I was watching that "Elite 11" show on ESPN where Dilfer and a few QB coaches take the top 25 or so HS QBs and try to determine the top 11 prospects as they head off into college. I think I remember them talking about Barkley doing really well in that competition, but not sure I trust my recollection 100%. If that's true, just given the intensity of what I saw them put these kids through, if Barkley did well when he was with them then that piques my curiosity even more. I'm sure Luck will be a great QB, probably cure cancer and reverse global warming during his 15 year NFL career, but I don't see any way he ends up as a Bill. So I'm with you...let's take a look at some of these other prospects that are far more realistic, and that we can groom to be our future QB.

I'm pretty sure Murray redshirted, yep...he was at UGA in 2009, IIRC, and he was considered a Freshman when he played last year. This will be a huge test for a very young team, but I expect we'll witness a QB begin to really earn his stripes tonight...should be a great game!

I was watching that "Elite 11" show on ESPN where Dilfer and a few QB coaches take the top 25 or so HS QBs and try to determine the top 11 prospects as they head off into college. I think I remember them talking about Barkley doing really well in that competition, but not sure I trust my recollection 100%. If that's true, just given the intensity of what I saw them put these kids through, if Barkley did well when he was with them then that piques my curiosity even more. I'm sure Luck will be a great QB, probably cure cancer and reverse global warming during his 15 year NFL career, but I don't see any way he ends up as a Bill. So I'm with you...let's take a look at some of these other prospects that are far more realistic, and that we can groom to be our future QB.

I'm pretty sure Murray redshirted, yep...he was at UGA in 2009, IIRC, and he was considered a Freshman when he played last year. This will be a huge test for a very young team, but I expect we'll witness a QB begin to really earn his stripes tonight...should be a great game!

GO BULLDOGS !!!! :beer:

On Matt Barkley (from SI - Inside College Football 9/10/2009)...

"Once every so many years, you find this one person that has something, you can't explain it, but you feel it," said Steve Clarkson, Barkley's private tutor since high school whose previous students include Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart and Jimmy Clausen. "When he walks into a room, you know it. When he walks into a huddle, his teammates feel it."

If you believe the people who have watched him most closely, starting from the time he became the first freshman starter at Orange County prep power Mater Dei in 22 years, you'll be watching not only the next great college star, but also the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

He's earned those comparisons thanks to more than just arm strength. "His physical gifts are well-documented -- he's got the picture-perfect throwing motion -- but his mental make-up is off the charts," said Clarkson.

At the time, it seemed like typical recruiting hyperbole. But then Barkley stepped onto the USC campus last spring and exceeded the coaches' wildest expectations. By Barkley's fifth practice, Carroll realized he was dealing with a rare phenomenon.

"He shouldn't have been able to do the things we saw him doing," said Carroll, whose previous USC quarterbacks include two Heisman winners (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) and a top five draft pick (Mark Sanchez). "We have a quarterback that's unusual. He's so far ahead of the curve, that it's hard to predict what he's going to be able to do."

What I also like is that Barkely's 'character mold' seems apart from from the typical USC party-boy QB...

"You guys are looking for typical things," Carroll said after the San Jose State game. "This is not a typical kid."

Indeed, much of Barkley's back story fits the Tim Tebow/Colt McCoy "too good to be true" mold.

Raised in a devout Christian household (his father, Les, is a former USC water polo player), Barkley played acoustic guitar for his church choir. He and his family founded Monarchs for Marines, a Mater Dei-related charity that raised more than $100,000 for the families of wounded and fallen soldiers. He spent winter break of his senior year volunteering at an orphanage in South Africa.

(Link - USC freshman QB Matt Barkley looks like next great college star)

Long time 'til April, but I think he'd look good in Bills blue!

Cool article! Sounds like a good kid for sure...I tried to catch the end of the USC/Minny game but only saw the very end after the final interception. I'll try to make an effort to watch this kid this season since I know a lot of people really like him.

I thankfully found the S.Carolina/E.Carolina game on some obscure sports channel on Dish lol...this offense was looking very good until the fumble lol. They had a 16 play drive going to start the game...Lattimore with a few nice runs, Connor Shaw with some nice runs and some nice deep throws, but also some great plays by the E.Carolina DB. Now to get a look at this S.Carolina D!

I'm SO glad it's football season!!!!!

September 17, Oklahoma @ Florida State. Can the Sooners survive the trip to Tallahassee? Especially withe 'Noles looking for revenge from last year?

September 17, Oklahoma @ Florida State. Can the Sooners survive the trip to Tallahassee? Especially withe 'Noles looking for revenge from last year?

When you're #1, everyone's gunning for you!

Both teams dominated last nite (OU 47-14 over Tulsa, FSU 34-0 over Univ. Louisianna - Monroe). Should be a great matchup - #1 versus #6. Sooners have the benefit of an extra week to prepare. OTOH, Seminoles - as you point out - will have home field (for the 3rd straight week).

I gotta give the edge to Oklahoma based on QB Landry Jones, the extra week to prepare just for FSU, walk-on phenom Dominique Whaley, and Sooners' coach Bob Stoops - mentor of...

Mike Leach

Edited by The Senator

When you're #1, everyone's gunning for you!

Both teams dominated last nite (OU 47-14 over Tulsa, FSU 34-0 over Univ. Louisianna - Monroe). Should be a great matchup - #1 versus #6. Sooners have the benefit of an extra week to prepare. OTOH, Seminoles - as you point out - will have home field (for the 3rd straight week).

I gotta give the edge to Oklahoma based on QB Landry Jones, the extra week to prepare just for FSU, walk-on phenom Dominique Whaley, and Sooners' coach Bob Stoops - mentor of...

Mike Leach

This team and the entire campus/town has had Sept. 17th targeted since about 30 seconds after the bowl win against SC last year.

This team and the entire campus/town has had Sept. 17th targeted since about 30 seconds after the bowl win against SC last year.

Good weekend for College Football. Brought the TV's out on the patio, had 8 of my good friends over got a keg, deep fried some wings & put some ribs on the grill & we watched about 12 hours of college football.

My early thoughts on that Oklahoma/FSU game. Oklahoma is really good. I realized Tulsa had their starting RB out but they are a fringe top 25 team & probably one of the favorites to win Conference USA.

I give FSU a chance in this because the game is @ Doak but they are going to have to play a near perfect game to win. The good news is that it really is a no lose situation for FSU. Lose & it is business as usual & they set their sights on the ACC Championship & what look like a 2 team race between V Tech & FSU. Win, & they got the inside track to the BCS Championship. Should be a good game already looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The SEC is ridiculously overrated this year. 'Bama and LSU are 2 of the best (if not the best) teams in the nation, but the rest of the conference is solidly mediocre, and nothing to write home about. No better than many of the other conferences.

The SEC is ridiculously overrated this year. 'Bama and LSU are 2 of the best (if not the best) teams in the nation, but the rest of the conference is solidly mediocre, and nothing to write home about. No better than many of the other conferences.

The SEC is not nearly as deep as it usually is. Obviously LSU/Bama are the top teams in the country along with Oklahoma but after that it drops pretty quick. MY guess is either South Carolina or Georgia are going to come out of the east & the winner of the November 5th game between the Tigers/Tide will come out of the west. The winner of that game will have the inside track on the NC. Florida/Auburn/Tenn are down this year. Arkansas is not bad. Kentucky/Ole Miss are brutal & Miss St & to a lesser extent South Carolina were overrated. Watch Georgia, I knew coming into the season that they had an extremely young but very talented team. I still can not get over that they want to run Richt out of there but they look like they got their 2nd wind now & should be a tough out for the rest of the season. They have to hope SC loses one more conference game though to have a chance to get into the SEC Championship.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.