SEC Football Discussion 2011

ajzepp

The SEC is not nearly as deep as it usually is. Obviously LSU/Bama are the top teams in the country along with Oklahoma but after that it drops pretty quick. MY guess is either South Carolina or Georgia are going to come out of the east & the winner of the November 5th game between the Tigers/Tide will come out of the west. The winner of that game will have the inside track on the NC. Florida/Auburn/Tenn are down this year. Arkansas is not bad. Kentucky/Ole Miss are brutal & Miss St & to a lesser extent South Carolina were overrated. Watch Georgia, I knew coming into the season that they had an extremely young but very talented team. I still can not get over that they want to run Richt out of there

Did you watch the UGA vs Boise St game?

As one blogger/columnist put it:

"On one side of the field you had 3 star talent with 5 star coaching, and on the other side of the field you had 5 star talent with 2 star coaching"

but they look like they got their 2nd wind now & should be a tough out for the rest of the season. They have to hope SC loses one more conference game though to have a chance to get into the SEC Championship.

I over heard a couple of Bulldog fans yesterday. They were discussing the "Dawgs" remaining schedule, and the possibility of winning the East.

What really caught my attention was the discussion of finishing the season tied with USC. Turns out, this is the preferred version for ending the season.

Their rationale? UGA would still get a good bowl bid, but they would be spared from going to Atlanta, and getting hammered by Alabama/LSU.

:doh:

Way to support your team there "Dawg" fans.

Did you watch the UGA vs Boise St game?

As one blogger/columnist put it:

"On one side of the field you had 3 star talent with 5 star coaching, and on the other side of the field you had 5 star talent with 2 star coaching"

I over heard a couple of Bulldog fans yesterday. They were discussing the "Dawgs" remaining schedule, and the possibility of winning the East.

What really caught my attention was the discussion of finishing the season tied with USC. Turns out, this is the preferred version for ending the season.

Their rationale? UGA would still get a good bowl bid, but they would be spared from going to Atlanta, and getting hammered by Alabama/LSU.

:doh:

Way to support your team there "Dawg" fans.

Georgia always has been to me a fan base that their expectations are too high. They had one National Title run 30 years ago when they had Hershal Walker & have not been in the National Title discusion much since. Their fan base reminds me of fan bases like Texas A&M & Clemson. Realistically, all the stars have to be alligned right for them to be in the national title picture but their fans do not see it that way. I think Richt is a pretty good coach.

I also do not buy the 3 star athletes for Boise St. As one anonymous coach stated in the Athlon preseason magazine "I don't care how many stars they have those kids rated, these kids could flat out play." I would not read into it too much on what type of rating the kids had coming out of high school. Most of Boise St starters could play on any team in the country & I think we both know that.

Edited by Gordio

Georgia always has been to me a fan base that their expectations are too high. They had one National Title run 30 years ago when they had Hershal Walker & have not been in the National Title discusion much since. Their fan base reminds me of fan bases like Texas A&M & Clemson. Realistically, all the stars have to be alligned right for them to be in the national title picture but their fans do not see it that way. I think Richt is a pretty good coach.

I also do not buy the 3 star athletes for Boise St. As one anonymous coach stated in the Athlon preseason magazine "I don't care how many stars they have those kids rated, these kids could flat out play." I would not read into it too much on what type of rating the kids had coming out of high school. Most of Boise St starters could play on any team in the country & I think we both know that.

You have to look at that statement as it was intended. It wasn't a knock against the Bronco players, but a major compliment to HC Peterson.

UGA looked unprepared to play, and at times, confused.

Even ajzepp noticed it:

... UGA looks TERRIBLE. They are out of shape, injured, and just plain uninspired.

Under Mark Richt, UGA has become undisciplined and under achieving.

That's why people are looking to push Richt out. He has (or is about to) lose control of the team.

Edit:

Now that Lattimore from USC is out for the year, looks like the UGA fans nightmare is about to come true.

Edited by Cynical

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.