2011 Rookies

timba

1 - Marcell Dareus - Dareus has seen all of his action with the first defense. It's been uncommon for him to be pushed off of the line. He's shown that he can wreck the havoc that he was drafted to cause. Lining up next to Kyle Williams only helps this guy. He's going to make an impact this year.

2 - Aaron Williams - He's been working with the second team for the most part. He is as physical as advertised. Very good tackler. Has been beaten in coverage for a number of big plays. In the game against Chicago he showed that he could bounce back from a mistake and make a play - not getting down on himself keeps him in the game. With no injuries, I think he'll mostly see work in dime packages and occasionally in a nickle package.

3 - Kelvin Sheppard - He's seen very limited action this preseason, his only game coming in the last one against Detroit. He looked to be very instinctive and was around the ball a lot. I didn't notice him much in pass coverage situations, so I won't comment on that. I liked how he hit guys, seemed really aggressive with his contact.

4 - Da'Norris Searcy - He saw a lot of work with 2nd and 3rd string guys. He also had a lot of opportunities for returning punts. I was not impressed with his punt returning ability, and would rather he focus on his safety play. I though he hit well, and was better in run support than pass coverage.

4b - Chris Hairston - He started off injured and didn't see time until the last two games, most of the game vs Detroit. He looked solid with the second unit in Jax, and ended that game at LT. He played all of his time at LT in Detroit. Despite the poor performance of the unit against Detroit, he was very good. He had one mental mistake and gave up an easy sack. There was another sack towards the end of the first half that came from his side, which was caused by Johnny White missing the inside blitz and Thigpen rolled out into the sack. He seems to stick onto his guy when he makes contact.

5 - Johnny White - Hasn't seen much time because of his injury in Denver. Has played mostly with the 2nd and 3rd units. Looks like a very good runner. He can truck a bit and make a guy miss. He didn't see very good blocking from the 2nd or 3rd lines. He missed a block on a blitz against Detroit that lead to a sack, but later picked up that same blitz very well.

6 - Chris White - He's seen time mostly with the 3rd unit, and some with the second. Looks to be ok in pass coverage, and hits well. He doesn't always get good position in run defense and doesn't get off blocks all that great. With the number of bodies at ILB, I think he gets cut but put on the PS.

7 - Justin Rogers - Injured and saw little action. Played a lot in the last game. He showed some skill returning the ball, and from what I saw had decent coverage. If the Bills keep a 6th DB, it's him, otherwise he's another PS candidate.

7b - Michael Jasper - Has been healthy this preseason, which wasn't a common occurrence with the drafted. He is as raw as expected. He's a big body, and when he uses proper technique he does very well at the point of attack. He does seem to tire quickly, and when he gets tired he stands up. I seriously doubt he makes the roster, but I would love to see him on the PS as well.

We know what we're getting with Dareus.

Williams definitely hit a learning curve, but has made some great, athletic plays.

Sheppard, hard to tell but looked very solid tonight.

Searcy seems like a good special teamer coverage guy, yet to really show anything on defense.

Hairston looked great in limited action. We'll see how he'll develop.

White has shown flashes, but whether it's his fault or not he hasn't been able to pull any great plays. Probably because of the second team O Line, but still the truth.

Rodgers looks too small, he'll be cut.

Jasper has no mobility or push, won't make the team, maybe practice squad.

We know what we're getting with Dareus.

Williams definitely hit a learning curve, but has made some great, athletic plays.

Sheppard, hard to tell but looked very solid tonight.

Searcy seems like a good special teamer coverage guy, yet to really show anything on defense.

Hairston looked great in limited action. We'll see how he'll develop.

White has shown flashes, but whether it's his fault or not he hasn't been able to pull any great plays. Probably because of the second team O Line, but still the truth.

Rodgers looks too small, he'll be cut.

You're right with both Searcy and Johnny White. There hasn't been 'the play' that shows they could potentially be play makers, but I don't think either has done anything to hurt their chances to make the roster either.

I really wish we'd have seen more of both Sheppard and Hairston (especially Hairston). In their limited time, I think they've shown they're worth keeping an eye on.

Aside from the draft picks, there's Aiken. Got to figure out a way to keep this kid. I know, we have a lot of good, young receivers. But Aiken could prove to be special and I'd rather it be for the Bills.

I agree... Aiken is definitely worth keeping around... he reminds me of stevie johnson when nobody knew who he was and i saw how stevie played in preseason (back when he had dreads) and i kept saying to the tv, who is this dude... And yet i find myself saying it again like who is this Kamaar dude and where did we find him... I know it's Gailey's decision but hopefully if enough people think like us Aiken will be a part of the 53 man roster and not Practice Squad... He's definitely not getting cut because of his performance... I just hope they see his worth in the 53 man roster and not PS...

I've seen a couple nice things that Aiken has done, but none of the backup receivers looked good today.

Davis had the most plays... good AND bad ones. Too much of the bad ones IMO. He has some really nice physical skills, but not enough good production to outweigh his poor play. All those WR screens to him and he could never make anything happen against backups. He was able to get open, but dropped too many.

If Aiken could have picked up one or a couple of those low throws of Thigpens he would have given himself a better shot. But I distinctly unimpressed with his efforts on those. A low throw is a safer throw, and KA didn't help his QB out. To be a quality NFL WR he has to catch those.

3> Shepard looked very promising to my eyes.

4b> Super impressed with Hairston. We really may have drafted a quality tackle with him.

6> JWhite looked a bit lost. Willing to hit but not necessarily the right guy.

7a> couldn't get too much of a look on him, but seemed to have good position pretty regularly. Does need a pro workout to pack on a little muscle, but could be a keeper.

7b> Good story, very raw, unproductive. Saw occasional flashes of nice stuff but was dramatically outplayed by Heard (Who I think really earned a 53 spot) Hope MJ makes the PS to see if he can improve his football skills.

1 - Marcell Dareus - Dareus has seen all of his action with the first defense. It's been uncommon for him to be pushed off of the line. He's shown that he can wreck the havoc that he was drafted to cause. Lining up next to Kyle Williams only helps this guy. He's going to make an impact this year.

2 - Aaron Williams - He's been working with the second team for the most part. He is as physical as advertised. Very good tackler. Has been beaten in coverage for a number of big plays. In the game against Chicago he showed that he could bounce back from a mistake and make a play - not getting down on himself keeps him in the game. With no injuries, I think he'll mostly see work in dime packages and occasionally in a nickle package.

3 - Kelvin Sheppard - He's seen very limited action this preseason, his only game coming in the last one against Detroit. He looked to be very instinctive and was around the ball a lot. I didn't notice him much in pass coverage situations, so I won't comment on that. I liked how he hit guys, seemed really aggressive with his contact.

4 - Da'Norris Searcy - He saw a lot of work with 2nd and 3rd string guys. He also had a lot of opportunities for returning punts. I was not impressed with his punt returning ability, and would rather he focus on his safety play. I though he hit well, and was better in run support than pass coverage.

4b - Chris Hairston - He started off injured and didn't see time until the last two games, most of the game vs Detroit. He looked solid with the second unit in Jax, and ended that game at LT. He played all of his time at LT in Detroit. Despite the poor performance of the unit against Detroit, he was very good. He had one mental mistake and gave up an easy sack. There was another sack towards the end of the first half that came from his side, which was caused by Johnny White missing the inside blitz and Thigpen rolled out into the sack. He seems to stick onto his guy when he makes contact.

5 - Johnny White - Hasn't seen much time because of his injury in Denver. Has played mostly with the 2nd and 3rd units. Looks like a very good runner. He can truck a bit and make a guy miss. He didn't see very good blocking from the 2nd or 3rd lines. He missed a block on a blitz against Detroit that lead to a sack, but later picked up that same blitz very well.

6 - Chris White - He's seen time mostly with the 3rd unit, and some with the second. Looks to be ok in pass coverage, and hits well. He doesn't always get good position in run defense and doesn't get off blocks all that great. With the number of bodies at ILB, I think he gets cut but put on the PS.

7 - Justin Rogers - Injured and saw little action. Played a lot in the last game. He showed some skill returning the ball, and from what I saw had decent coverage. If the Bills keep a 6th DB, it's him, otherwise he's another PS candidate.

7b - Michael Jasper - Has been healthy this preseason, which wasn't a common occurrence with the drafted. He is as raw as expected. He's a big body, and when he uses proper technique he does very well at the point of attack. He does seem to tire quickly, and when he gets tired he stands up. I seriously doubt he makes the roster, but I would love to see him on the PS as well.

Excellent synopsis. This is really spot on.

Good post...However, I am more interested in what our last years draftees are going to do this year...I hope some of these guys can be starters on this team....It really sucks that your first three draft picks from last year cannot make an impression to get the starting nod and play significant minutes. Only Carrington at this point looks like will be part of a big rotation. I hope Spiller can do some of his magic.

Good post...However, I am more interested in what our last years draftees are going to do this year...I hope some of these guys can be starters on this team....It really sucks that your first three draft picks from last year cannot make an impression to get the starting nod and play significant minutes. Only Carrington at this point looks like will be part of a big rotation. I hope Spiller can do some of his magic.

I think you only watched Jasper after he tires (which is like 2-3 plays lol). But when he first comes off the bench, or for a new series, he is very strong and gets a very good push. He had a great push/QB pressure which resulted in A Williams INT v Chicago. From what I saw in the Jax game, he was the 2nd string NG. Jax doubled him on every play I noticed. I think he makes the team as a short yardage guy. Troup they keep for DE and NG.

And FWIW I watched Jasper at practice, doing bag drills and such. He moves like a 250#er, not a 400#er. The dude is a freak. He needs some techinique, but [lack of] conditioning I think is his major obstacle.

Its so awesome to see a 1st round pick show his worth this early finally. I can't wait to see Marcel Dareus 3 years down the road. I think we just might have a perennial probowler on our hands.

I got so tired of us passing on all the guys who everyone and their mother just KNEW were perenial pro bowlers for the bustswe actually drafted. Its great to finally draft a guy who from his first practice is one of the best players on the team. God knows we have passed over they for years.

Edited by Thoner7

Last years class is one I've been underwhelmed with so far.

CJ looks like he's going to be move involved with the offense this year, which is good since we need more big play ability with Evans gone. He's better at picking up the blitz but I still wouldn't say he's good at it.

Troup confuses me. On one series he'll be dominant and I think 'alright, he's coming along' and then the next series he seems to revert to last year. Without consistency, he'll be a depth player.

I like how Carrington has looked this preseason. He moves well for a 300lb man. I haven't noticed him too much in pass coverage, but he has a decent bull rush and seems to stay in position. I'd like to see a few more big plays out of him. He is physically talented enough to make impact plays, we'll just have to see if he ever does.

This is really our first look at Marcus Easley, and he's a very streaky receiver. Both his drops and catches come in bunches. If he would get out of his own head he would be more consistent. I think next year he's going to have a decent year and become the clear number 2, but in his first full year of NFL action I don't expect much.

Ed Wang made Aaron Maybin look good in practice. I'm not optimistic he makes the final cut.

Moats looked to be improving well at outside linebacker last year. That was after starting last preseason at ILB and looking lost. Well he's back at the inside again, and looks like he's picking up at ILB where he left off.

Batten is another guy who was hurt all last year. He got a couple of sacks against Chicago, and has had an OK pass rush. He is also OK against the run, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's more than depth right now. I think if he was drafted earlier he'd face a lot more criticism.

Levi didn't see much playing time this preseason. He looked like a QB fighting for a roster spot at the end of the game against Detroit, and looked pretty dang good doing it. If he would always play like he's about to lose his job he will find a place in the league, but I don't think it will be with the Bills. Too little too late with too few opportunities.

Kyle Calloway is already gone!