What is the end-all, ironclad playoff scenario?

envirojeff

Three of these 4 scenarios need to happen for the #6 seed; all 4 for the #5 seed:

1. Jaguars (Houston, @Oakland) lose at least 1 game

2. Ravens (@Pitt, Miami) loses at least 1 out of 2 games

3. Broncos (@Tenn, Indy) lose at least 1 out of 2 games

4. Jets (New England, @St. Louis) lose both remaining games

Here is why:

1. Jax has the tie-breaker over us because they beat us. If they lose 1 game they will have 7 losses.

2. Bal has the tie-breaker over us because they beat us. If they lose 1 game they will have 7 losses.

3. Denver has the tie-breaker over us because of conference record. If they go 10-6 they will have a 7-5 conference record while we will have a 6-6 conference record. That is why they must lose 2 games so that they have 7 losses.

4. Jets need to lose both of their games for us to have the tiebreaker. This way we will have an equal head to head record and and we will both 3-3 divisional records. We will have the better common opponents record.

*All this is of course pointless if the Bills fail to run the table.

Three of these 4 scenarios need to happen for the #6 seed; all 4 for the #5 seed:

1.  Jaguars (Houston, @Oakland) lose at least 1 game

2.  Ravens (@Pitt, Miami) loses at least 1 out of 2 games

3.  Broncos (@Tenn, Indy) lose at least 1 out of 2 games

4.  Jets (New England, @St. Louis) lose both remaining games

Here is why:

1. Jax has the tie-breaker over us because they beat us. If they lose 1 game they will have 7 losses.

2. Bal has the tie-breaker over us because they beat us. If they lose 1 game they will have 7 losses.

3. Denver has the tie-breaker over us because of conference record. If they go 10-6 they will have a 7-5 conference record while we will have a 6-6 conference record. That is why they must lose 2 games so that they have 7 losses.

4. Jets need to lose both of their games for us to have the tiebreaker. This way we will have an equal head to head record and and we will both 3-3 divisional records. We will have the better common opponents record.

*All this is of course pointless if the Bills fail to run the table.

168945[/snapback]

Quick question, if there is a more than a two way tie, IE Jets, Buffalo and Denver all 10-6, what is the first tie breaker, assuming one team has not beaten both of the others. I only ask this as I wonder if there is a scenario where we will need need other teams to actually win to create three or even four way ties. If someone has figured this out, I would be eternally grateful

Quick question, if there is a more than a two way tie, IE Jets, Buffalo and Denver all 10-6, what is the first tie breaker, assuming one team has not beaten both of the others. I only ask this as I wonder if there is a scenario where we will need need other teams to actually win to create three or even four way ties. If someone has figured this out, I would be eternally grateful

168980[/snapback]

Conference records I do believe -- Denver has a us beat on that one.

Here's my question...

What happens if Jax, Buf and the Jest all finish 10-6.

Jax has tiebreaker over us Head 2 Head.

We have tiebreaker over Jest, Record against common opponents.

Jest has tiebreaker over Jax 3-2 vs. 2-3 record against common opponents (they would both be 7-5 in conf).

So which 2 teams go??? I tried to figure it out but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer, as the tiebreakers are different for division ties vs. conference ties for a WC berth. Anyone have an answer??

Here's my question...

What happens if Jax, Buf and the Jest all finish 10-6.

Jax has tiebreaker over us Head 2 Head.

We have tiebreaker over Jest, Record against common opponents.

Jest has tiebreaker over Jax 3-2 vs. 2-3 record against common opponents (they would both be 7-5 in conf).

So which 2 teams go???  I tried to figure it out but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer, as the tiebreakers are different for division ties vs. conference ties.  Anyone have an answer??

169042[/snapback]

If i have read everything correctly, I think the ONLY team we hold the tiebreaker over is NYJ, and that's because, as divisional teams, the tiebreaker is different.

So, no matter what else happens this week, if we win, we are still alive.

But the next week, Balt, Jax, and Denver would have to lose, right?

169018[/snapback]

Correct, if Jets, Baltimore, Jax and Denver all win this week--week 16. Realistically, if Baltimore wins on the road and sweeps Pittsburgh this week, I doubt they will lose at home to Miami in Week 17.

As to Jax and Denver, it seems to me week 16 and 17 losses are about equally likely.

Jets could drop 2, losing to NE would not be a shock, and the Rams are much better at home, and should have Bulger back for week 17.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.