2011-12 day trading game part deux

Rules:

1. you have $10,000 to invest in any stock traded in the USA. that includes ETF's and index funds. (I'm not including pinks and OTC's cuz i don't know how they work)

2. unlimited buying and selling but all trading must take place when the NYSE is open. mutual fund trading will reflect the funds price at closing for the day of the trade (just like in real life).

3.you must record the buy/sell price at the time of transaction except for mutual funds for which the price will be determined at day's closing.

4. every buy and sell should be a reply from your last buy/sell so you can keep a running total.

5. the honor system is in effect.

6. you may make your first transactions on sept 1.

7. you can start anytime between sept 1 and oct 1

8. you can use whatever form you desire for posting trades as long as it includes the number and value of shares bought and sold, is unambiguous and the post includes an updated summary of all holdings, including cash at the end of the transaction.

9.game will end at close of trading 3/1/12.

rules are adapted from peace (thanks, peace) with a few changes.

if you have any suggestions on changes to rules, please post them before Sept 1.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules:

1. you have $10,000 to invest in any stock traded in the USA. that includes ETF's and index funds. (I'm not including pinks and OTC's cuz i don't know how they work)

2. unlimited buying and selling but all trading must take place when the NYSE is open. mutual fund trading will reflect the funds price at closing for the day of the trade (just like in real life).

3.you must record the buy/sell price at the time of transaction except for mutual funds for which the price will be determined at day's closing.

4. every buy and sell should be a reply from your last buy/sell so you can keep a running total.

5. the honor system is in effect.

6. you may make your first transactions on sept 1.

7. you can start anytime between sept 1 and oct 1

8. you can use whatever form you desire for posting trades as long as it includes the number and value of shares bought and sold, is unambiguous and the post includes an updated summary of all holdings, including cash at the end of the transaction.

rules are adapted from peace (thanks, peace) with a few changes.

if you have any suggestions on changes to rules, please post them before Sept 1.

Options? You buying at the ask and selling at the bid? You going to include a nominal transaction fee ($19.95/trade or something)?

Silly contest - with this set-up, I could game the rules and win with my eyes closed.

Options? You buying at the ask and selling at the bid? You going to include a nominal transaction fee ($19.95/trade or something)?

Silly contest - with this set-up, I could game the rules and win with my eyes closed.

no transaction fee. no options. buying and selling at price given on ticker (eg yahoo finance, google finance, msn money etc at time you decide to trade. and it's on the honor system. i trust you're honorable, right? :flirt:

no transaction fee. no options. buying and selling at price given on ticker (eg yahoo finance, google finance, msn money etc at time you decide to trade. and it's on the honor system. i trust you're honorable, right? :flirt:

:lol: The 20 minute delayed ticker?

:lol: The 20 minute delayed ticker?

if you subscribe to a real time ticker and want to use that as an advantage, go for it. if we see another flash crash or real crash then were all at a loss and none of us will be very worried about our fictional portfolios.

if you subscribe to a real time ticker and want to use that as an advantage, go for it.

Thus I won't play. Goes to show how silly your game is.

if we see another flash crash or real crash then were all at a loss and none of us will be very worried about our fictional portfolios.

Maybe you will be...I've never lost money in a crash. In fact, I've never not made money in a crash.

Then don't play... it is far sillier to nit pick when you have no intention of participating, pointless in fact.

I say he should prove it. On the honor system of course. The point IMO is it should be more about semi-long term transactions. Trading every minute is just stupid. I get that you can make money off it, but seems antithetical to the original premise of both the stock market and the game. Make it another experiment, either add in the micro transaction fee (which would not stop cheating) or my preference, restrict how long you have to hold a stock (which would not stop cheating). I say at least 2 hours.

Go ahead and bash on the financial n00b. :oops:

Edited by Booster4324

For the sake of maintaining my laziness, am I able to just say as an example:

Bought 50 shares of Apple at 32.27 ?

I really don't want to go through that other format

you don't need the other format. i think it would be helpful to restate your holdings at the end of the transaction however. if you don't want to after every transaction then update it once a week. ideally we'll all keep each other straight, especially if you're the one leading. there's nothing on the line here except the fun of it. the more players the better. if it's not fun, we'll stop.

I say he should prove it. On the honor system of course. The point IMO is it should be more about semi-long term transactions. Trading every minute is just stupid. I get that you can make money off it, but seems antithetical to the original premise of both the stock market and the game. Make it another experiment, either add in the micro transaction fee (which would not stop cheating) or my preference, restrict how long you have to hold a stock (which would not stop cheating). I say at least 2 hours.

Go ahead and bash on the financial n00b. :oops:

Suggestions are awesome, but when you offer no suggestions and just nitpick and nitpick, then I have to say something.

Suggestions are awesome, but when you offer no suggestions and just nitpick and nitpick, then I have to say something.

Hell, I am half tempted to join in to be the dummy company. I know a little about mutual funds, but nada about 6 months investments, same amount of knowledge and and less time to day-trade. If anyone loses to Booster they have to sig it for a month? Kidding, I hope this takes off. I enjoyed the other thread when it started.

Edited by Booster4324

Then don't play... it is far sillier to nit pick when you have no intention of participating, pointless in fact.

Exactly

Hell, I am half tempted to join in to be the dummy company. I know a little about mutual funds, but nada about 6 months investments, same amount of knowledge andge and less time to day-trade. If anyone loses to Booster they have to sig it for a month? Kidding, I hope this takes off. I enjoyed the other thread when it started.

I'm dizzy with excitement! I'm just going to pick five stocks at the beginning of the month at $2k a peace and hold them the entire month. Commodites are not looking good right now, but that could change in a second. I think I know what I'm going to pick but nothing is finalized yet.

Hell, I am half tempted to join in to be the dummy company. I know a little about mutual funds, but nada about 6 months investments, same amount of knowledge and and less time to day-trade. If anyone loses to Booster they have to sig it for a month? Kidding, I hope this takes off. I enjoyed the other thread when it started.

just do it. wada ya got to lose? and conventianal wisdom says funds outperfom stock pickers by a big margin as a rule. it might be informative to see that comparison in action.

Exactly

I'm dizzy with excitement! I'm just going to pick five stocks at the beginning of the month at $2k a peace and hold them the entire month. Commodites are not looking good right now, but that could change in a second. I think I know what I'm going to pick but nothing is finalized yet.

Well, since "welfare and unemployment benefits increase the demand for consumer goods" you should put your "money" where your mouth is. Find out what they spend their money on and buy the stocks of those companies.

Well, since "welfare and unemployment benefits increase the demand for consumer goods" you should put your "money" where your mouth is. Find out what they spend their money on and buy the stocks of those companies.

Kraft Foods, Pabst Brewing Company and General Motors? Sounds promising. :P

Exactly

Let me know what you pick. I want to short them. :devil: