A Note About The Bills-Jags Broadcast

.....not sure if anyone else posted this, but listening to Ray Bentley call Saturday's game was painful ........ his incessant malaprop while announcing the "JagUIRES" was brutal and made the broadcast sound like the local show it was, unfortunately. He needs to go back to doing cartoon books with Hamby.

The commercials were not much better - at first I thought "blackpeoplemeet.com" was some kind of joke or satire, then almost laughed when I realized it was legit. Don't even ask the question, what about "whitepeoplemeet.com". ......??

:thumbdown:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

.....not sure if anyone else posted this, but listening to Ray Bentley call Saturday's game was painful ........ his incessant malaprop while announcing the "JagUIRES" was brutal and made the broadcast sound like the local show it was, unfortunately. He needs to go back to doing cartoon books with Hamby.

The commercials were not much better - at first I thought "blackpeoplemeet.com" was some kind of joke or satire, then almost laughed when I realized it was legit. Don't even ask the question, what about "whitepeoplemeet.com". ......??

Hilarious.

I noticed that too. Whitepeoplemeet.com would just be a civil rights lawsuit in the making

I think I'm like a lot of people on this forum in that I really don't pay too much attention to the announcers. Mostly they're just white noise to me. Once in a while they'll use a word which piques my interest as to what they might actually be saying.

The other thing is (and I know that some will be tempted to argue the market size) for the sake of RATINGS AND THE ADVERTISING REVENUE that can be charged, Buffalo is the 51st largest market in the USA. Combine that with the fact that it is not an affluent market and you get what you saw on Saturday night.

One nice feature of the broadcast was the fact that they used 9 cameras and the director actually did a decent job finding good replay angles. This is a huge production step up from the way the team was covered in preseasons during the glory years.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the practice of ex-jocks being handed broadcasting jobs but I do like Ray Bentley. He was a cool player for the Bills and he coached our indoor football team into the playoffs for several seasons. Yeah he wasn't very good on Saturday night but he seems like a good guy and I personally didn't find him to be offensive, annoying or anything like that.

I agree... I'm not usually a critic of sports media types. I'm content with most of 'em but thought Bentley was less than TV ready. Far less.

"The whole world is 'white people meet'."

And Bentley's consistent use of "jag-wires" made me want to dig up an old speech by Bush about "nookyooler" weapons.

I agree... I'm not usually a critic of sports media types. I'm content with most of 'em but thought Bentley was less than TV ready. Far less.

You know what they say. "Pre-season is practice for everybody, not just players." although he's not a commentator during the regular season... But I know Tasker is

You noticed that jagwire bit too??? I went around askin 20 people how they would pronounce it.....about half said jagwires and half jagwars. I just dont get where the "wire" sound comes from....and once i realized it...i got really annoyed everytime he said it.

You noticed that jagwire bit too??? I went around askin 20 people how they would pronounce it.....about half said jagwires and half jagwars. I just dont get where the "wire" sound comes from....and once i realized it...i got really annoyed everytime he said it.

glad you heard it as well - it was tough to miss....and I agree with you, I have no idea where the "Jagwire" comes in with some people. Even at the local broadcast level you would think someone would pull Bentley aside & tell him he is completely butchering the name

glad you heard it as well - it was tough to miss....and I agree with you, I have no idea where the "Jagwire" comes in with some people. Even at the local broadcast level you would think someone would pull Bentley aside & tell him he is completely butchering the name

But, like the other guy said, if you ask 20 people, you will get a bunch of "Jag-wires", too.

Drives me crazy, too, but then again, many American adults can not spell, either.

I completely agree with you

Oh and Fitz calls them Jagwires too!!

Huh...I think Bentley was pretty good, despite the Jags pronounciation. While I think Steve Tasker has improved over the last couple of years (he seems to have calmed down a bit) I thought Bentley made some decent observations (Tasker always states the obvious), I like his voice...he sounds a lot like Don Criqui, who, at one time, was one of the better pbp guys...particularly when the Bills were in their hey-day of the late 80's early 90's.

I remember when the Jaguars first came into existence, all the announcers did this, stressing the that it was "Jag-oo-ars", not "Jag-wars"...that was when Bentley was still playing, perhaps it comes from that.

Hilarious.

I noticed that too. Whitepeoplemeet.com would just be a civil rights lawsuit in the making

There are Jewish single website commercials all the time you racist. Arent they white.Heard of any lawsuits? Whats wrong with something being afrocentric in this racist community. Everything is white you moron.Its the reason history tells us a white man discovered America when there were already millions of people here.Or that we still call native americans indians because that moron thought he was in india.Its been hundreds of years.A white man was wrong,they arent indians.Racist.