Insider: Nix hasn't addressed Bills greatest needs

Amstel

Actually, the Bills have run a 4-3 the majority of the time this preseason because of the lack of ANY QUALITY DEPTH at OLB.

Not true.

Today, how do you know this?

I read right here on this board 2 years ago that we "addressed" ("fixed"?) our o-line 2 years ago with Wood, Levitre, Wang...yet here we are with a consensus that our o-line is in need of repair.

You are correct that there is a difference between "addressed" and "fixed". Regardless, Nix has DEFINITELY addressed our biggest weakness, which was the criticism in the OP.

Now, I know it's just preseason, but our DL and Front 7 have been dominant in every game so far. I do not expect Williams, Dareus and Co. to all of a sudden start sucking in 2 weeks. Only time will tell, but I am very confident the Front 7 has been fixed.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Bills have run a 4-3 the majority of the time this preseason because of the lack of ANY QUALITY DEPTH at OLB.

So you're counting on Moats, who has been moved back and forth from OLB to ILB 3 or 4 times already? While Batten doesn't fall flat on his face a la Maybin, he looks average at best. Coleman has been completely underwhelming too. Carrington is not suited to play the position. There is a reason that there has never been a 6-5 305lb LB. He looks like he is going to be a solid DE but to count on him as a OLB is ridiculous.

Again, the definition of depth is not a bunch of warm bodies because that would mean there is not a team in the NFL without depth. Hell, that would mean the OLine has depth! Depth means having a player who can make an impact off of the bench when someone (Merriman?) goes down. Nice Pollyanna routine though.

FYI, most 3-4 defenses run a 4-3 when they are against nickel personnel. Most of the teams have been in Nickel or the Bills have played nickel with McGee, Florence and McKelvin

Both Kelsay and Merriman (our starting OLBs) were out for Saturday's game, and Carrington/Batten filled in nicely. I have no problem with those guys starting if Merriman gets injured, and we finally realize Kelsay sucks. Behind them we have Moats who played well last year, given he was a late round rookie. We do have depth at OLB.

:thumbsup:

might want to leave it to the anons to continue to look foolish and uninformed then. just sayin...

Actually..I think I'll leave it to the win-loss record to determine who is foolish and uninformed. Let's talk in late December.

I'm always curious who the scouts are, or if it's the same scout, on those articles. It always comes off as whoever is saying it has an ax to grind.

Likely they're the 'scouts' in the writer's head when he's on deadline and has no material to work with.

nope...nine wins and chan and buddy should be fired....

I wasn't commenting on the article, I did that in an earlier post. I was commenting on the "foolish and uninformed" statement. I'm just saying let's wait until december at which point...if we have nine wins...I will gladly eat my words. You who think everything is rosie in Bills land can eat your words with a record of less than nine wins.

I love how this is written, cause you could use the same argument with any team and be right, its easy

At 3/4 of the way through training camp, find what issues the team is having trouble with, then turn around and say those are the teams greatest needs and since they aren't fixed, the FO has done nothing to fix it.

Looking at last season, the biggest need was a pass rush and stopping the run. The offence was middle of the pact/good at best, and the oline wasn't the worst, but not the greatest. Fitz showed he could be a guy that could lead an offence, but might not be a franchise superstar. In the offseason, the Bills used almost the entire draft on Defence, picked up a couple of FA's for the defence and even a new coach for the defence to help improve that side. On offence, they decided to work with what they have this year and get answers as to weither or not some of the unproven guys can show that they can play.

Are there holes or areas of concern? Of course. But you can't honestly say that they have done nothing to address their "greatest needs" this offseason.

I wasn't commenting on the article, I did that in an earlier post. I was commenting on the "foolish and uninformed" statement. I'm just saying let's wait until december at which point...if we have nine wins...I will gladly eat my words. You who think everything is rosie in Bills land can eat your words with a record of less than nine wins.

your right, that is exqactly what this organisation needs, they need to blow everything up and start all over again cause after 2 years, a team should be able to be rebuilt from the ground up. Especially with all the talent that they inherited on this roster when they took over.

my prediction is 6-10. It's been 6-10 for the past 2 months, and will be my prediction opening day. So how do I think everything is rosie?

I dont.

I simply have patience and can see the bigger picture, instead of only focusing on negatives.

Good luck on your 9 wins... expecting that or wanting everyone fired definitely isnt foolish or uninformed :rolleyes:

your right, that is exqactly what this organisation needs, they need to blow everything up and start all over again cause after 2 years, a team should be able to be rebuilt from the ground up. Especially with all the talent that they inherited on this roster when they took over.

not even. 20 Months, but I know you know that :thumbsup:

Ridiculous, isnt it?

Edited by DrDareustein

FYI, most 3-4 defenses run a 4-3 when they are against nickel personnel. Most of the teams have been in Nickel or the Bills have played nickel with McGee, Florence and McKelvin

Thanks John Madden. That reply wasn't to embarrassing. :lol:

Not true.

Yeah it is. Kelsay has shown that he is a liability as an OLB and a way better fit for DE in a 4 man front (barely). The Bills are so desperate for anyone to step up that they are experimenting with a 6-5 305 lb Carrington. They have way better 4-3 personnel and the only true hole that they have in a 3-4 (barring injury) is at OLB.

Yeah it is. Kelsay has shown that he is a liability as an OLB and a way better fit for DE in a 4 man front (barely). The Bills are so desperate for anyone to step up that they are experimenting with a 6-5 305 lb Carrington. They have way better 4-3 personnel and the only true hole that they have in a 3-4 (barring injury) is at OLB.

You said the "Bills have run the 4-3 the majority of the preseason". That is incorrect. We've been in the 3-4 and Nickel (with 4 man front) more than we have the 4-3.

Just because the OLB has his hand on the ground (as a lot do in the 3-4) does not make it a 4-3.

Only in Buffalo would the hiring of Nix and Gailey be treated with this amount of blind enthusiasm.

As opposed to those unbiased observers who don't see, or conveniently ignore, every positive, or invent negatives that don't exist.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

nix and gailey isn't "everyone". Nix and Gailey are just the two guys who took Jauron's mediocre team and turned it into a very bad team. you think taking a 7 win team and in two years turning it into a 6 win team is a good resume. I think taking a 7 win team and in two years increasing it to a 9 win team is a reasonable expectation.

Look at Tampa, the Jets and others who had new coaches and turned it around (or at least didn't do worse for three years running) were able to do it. Drafting wisely, keeping star players, using free agency...this is the way its done.

nix and gailey isn't "everyone". Nix and Gailey are just the two guys who took Jauron's mediocre team and turned it into a very bad team. you think taking a 7 win team and in two years turning it into a 6 win team is a good resume. I think taking a 7 win team and in two years increasing it to a 9 win team is a reasonable expectation.

Look at Tampa, the Jets and others who had new coaches and turned it around (or at least didn't do worse for three years running) were able to do it. Drafting wisely, keeping star players, using free agency...this is the way its done.

If Nix and Gailey go, that means the rest of the coaching staff goes. It also most likely means that new higher Doug Whaley goes. So who are you saying we keep? Russ Brandon? When building a team, your GM and Head Coach ARE indeed everyone.

As far as the rest of your short-sighted 7-win/9-win garbage goes... I dont care, and neither does Nix. There is an obvious plan on how they want to build this franchise, and we are 20 Months in to an advertised 3 year plan. If you want to ignore all of the positives and just harp on record, good luck with that. Go Bills.

Maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

I can agree with expecting results next year. But t-boy is saying "9 wins this year". Cmon...

A long time ago I learned that the anonymous ones who choose to rip and tear rather than offering a constructive evaluation are not what they claim to be. As I read this attack on Buddy's building of the 'new Bills' I couldn't help but be astonished by the choice of words of these "general managers, scouts, and other front office personnel' because they read like the words of a distraught teenage boy who was guzzling down some beer to get bold enough to post this insight. The author uses the plural in his attempt to establish credibility... just think more than one general manager and more than one scout and more than one coach and more than one member of personnel offices all quietly whispered to our one poster here. Did each person contribute just one or two words or perhaps a phrase?

The conclusion about Barnett runs counter to what all the other voices from the football world are reporting especially since most see the Bills getting a financial bargain in him rather than paying a “ton of money (Now, why does that sound like a youthful expression?).” Spiller has only played one year not the two years of struggling that these secret voices whispered about. While our offensive line is far from anything to ‘write home about’ the specific criticism in this post again has more the appearance of a ‘sour grapes’ young person who follows the Bills rather than that of one of the 31 other general managers in the league sharing his opinions anonymously. And, the attacks on the old and broken down Kelsay and Merriman are absurd because neither is old for a defensive player in the NFL but they might be old if the author is 16. I know most of us are hoping that Merriman is not broken down but the one criticism that has never been leveled at Kelsay is ‘broken down’ because he is still healthy and his problem is not being talented enough to go out into pass coverage.

Finally, the comment about Jammie Kirlew is certainly an odd one since that name doesn’t jump off the Bills roster. To be “shocked” that a young man who was drafted in the 2010 draft by Denver is still on a preseason roster is the final proof that this posting was a fabrication. Here’s a profile of Kirlew from NFL.com: Kirlew was a productive, three-year starter for the Indiana's defense. He is somewhat of a 'tweener prospect with average size for a defensive end but lacking great athleticism to project to outside linebacker. He is a tough, hardnosed player with great work ethic and intelligence. He plays with a high motor and wins with effort and technique more than athleticism. Kirlew has been a playmaker off the edge but doesn't have great initial quickness and burst to close to the ball. He is an instinctive player who understands angles and locates the ball quickly. He is inconsistent to shed larger blockers, which likely will hinder his ability to play with his hand in the dirt at the next level. Kirlew is a good college football player but is a classic overachiever, and his talent may not project in the same way at the next level.

Now, I really am not sitting here thinking this guy is going to make the Bills’ starting line-up but to have him in camp as a possibility after being on the PS at the end of last season is what all teams do. No general manager, coach, scout, nor front office personnel expert would rip another general manager even anonymously for keeping a kid in camp who might have potential. Now, if he was signed to a multi-million dollar contract then you might wonder about Buddy.

We are seeing Buddy build a team and after a decade of failure it appears that Buddy and Chan are giving us a chance to finally end up with a winner. It may take another year but the pieces are falling into place in a good way!

If Nix and Gailey go, that means the rest of the coaching staff goes. It also most likely means that new higher Doug Whaley goes. So who are you saying we keep? Russ Brandon? When building a team, your GM and Head Coach ARE indeed everyone.

As far as the rest of your short-sighted 7-win/9-win garbage goes... I dont care, and neither does Nix. There is an obvious plan on how they want to build this franchise, and we are 20 Months in to an advertised 3 year plan. If you want to ignore all of the positives and just harp on record, good luck with that. Go Bills.

I can agree with expecting results next year. But t-boy is saying "9 wins this year". Cmon...

I kind of missed the "three year" plan. Where did that come in and what was it? Was the plan to go 4-12 or worse for a few years, dump our better players, and try to get by with a weak offensive line?

If Nix and Gailey go it is not oa given that assistant coaches have to go. Those who are performing well should stay. I never understood why we didn't attempt to keep April or Perry Frewell from the Jauron regime. Most places keep the high producers and build on what they have.

Seriously I must have missed the three plan...what exactly was it?