Felser's Pathetic Article

Now that we're all giddy about winning a preseason game, at home, against a weak team like the Jaguars who were missing some starters I think we should burn a guy like Felser at the stake - the nerve of an experienced Buffalo sportswriter to write an opinion piece based on his assessment of the talent level and direction of the team - doesn't he realize our third string guys have enough heart to pull out a win over their third string guys? Surely he must know that when you don't write positve things about the Bills you're a hack, journalistic accomplishments aside (see also: Sullivan, Jerry) - sports journalism is all about being a cheerleader for the home team, right?

Let's see what this team looks like after the final roster cuts and after they start playing real games against real teams - I suspect the pendulum will swing back and we'll be talking about Andrew Luck and nobody will bother to say that perhaps the old guy had a point - can't wait to see that - who's got tickets?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

everybody has a case of bad timing now & then.

That applies to TSW as well...

"I have been covering the Bills in one form or another since they went into business 51 years ago..."

That's the problem right there. Time for this guy to move on.

Anybody with 14,000+ posts should be careful about making 'shelf life' comments... <_<

I respect your respect for the man - but to say the team doesn't have many soldiers is not what I witnessed yesterday. I saw a scrappy bunch of guys fighting for jobs & a victory. That comment was a slap in the face & degrading to their character. And I don't know about you, but I am not smelling "chaos in the air" today. And to imply a coaching change at this juncture is simply a ridiculous comment. At the very least, he should have told the sports editor not to run the story until after he reviewed the game. I didn't read one article this morning about how Hurricane Irene totally destroyed the East coast that was written two days ago. My beef today with him is this article, not his career.

Soldiers pretty much make up the Bills roster. This team does not quit, despite the questionable moves by the front office, and the coaching staff. Fred Jackson is 100% warrior, and I would say that of most of this team. The Bills got rid of Maybin and the negativity associated with him. I don't think Evans wanted to be here, though management seems they did little to talk him out of his wanting to leave. This team lacks true talent, and it will still take a while to rectify that. In the meantime, anyone questioning the heart of this team's players is way off base.

Larry's old and clearly confused so let's give the guy a break.

To give you an idea of how old Larry is, he used to be a ball boy in the 1940s for the original Buffalo Bills of the All American Football Conference. Those Bills went extinct, of course, but when Ralph started up a new iteration of Bills in 1959, Larry was there to cover it. He's been covering the Bills ever since, though now he's in semi-retirement and only writes once a week.

Unlike Sully, Larry usually writes fair and balanced articles. He used to have good connections within the organization, amongst the players, coaches, and administrators. A reader often learned something new or, at least, was exposed to a knowledgeable insight when reading his stuff. He was always respected by his peers and by sports people in general. Larry was asked to serve on the NFL Hall of Fame Selection Committee back in the 80s (?). Jim Kelly gave special thanks in his enshrinement speech to Felser for his work in getting Kelly elected first ballot. It wouldn't be the last time Larry helped get a Bill into Canton. In '84 the Pro Football Writers of America voted Larry the Dick McCann Memorial Award, their highest honor. That plaque is now hanging at Canton not far from the busts of the Bills he helped send there.

Felser's served the Bills with loyalty and talent for many, many years. Clearly not at his peak any more, I think we still should show the man a little Bills love.

HERESY. Burn him at the stake! Where's my pitchfork? :rolleyes:

Why does the truth hurt fans so much? Accept it and demand a change.

I made the mistake of listening to Bob Matthew's radio amatuer hour on WHAM last Thursday. He spent half the show claiming the Bills were the worst team in the NFL by a mile, based on a handful of team rankings on various websites. Did we look like the worst team last night?

If the the bills aren't the worst who is?