Brad Smith Will Be The Starting QB By The End Of Season

Our offensive line is bad this year. Fitz struggling and/or getting injured is not that far fetched. Thigpen struggling to fill in for Fitz is not very far fetched at all. So who's next? While its crazy to think a guy like Brad Smith can start as QB it is not that far fetched when Chain Gailey is the head coach. Brad Smith is right up his alley. Just look at Stewart in Pittsburgh. Though this time it will be only temporary. None of the QB's we have right now are our recent future (2-3 years from now).

Our offensive line was the same or worse last year (how quickly we forget Cornell Green), yet change a few plays and we could have been 7-9 or 8-8 with one of the hardest schedules. I'm getting sick of this "our offensive line sucks so we're going to be the worst team in football" logic. Our offensive line has been about this level for years. The Steelers went to the Super Bowl with one of our cast-offs...offensive line is important and I can't say I love Gailey's shuffling them around (though i get it), but it's not the only part of a team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />Are you on crack or how about just saying no to drugs. To say he has a "weak arm" shows you no little about the man or have never seen many of his games at the college level or at training camp. Below is one of many scouting reports which are all basically all about the same in content. He will get a shot to show his skills in Gaily's style of offense. If he doesn't start it won't be because of your notion of having a weak arm. You can take that to the bank. <br /><br />Pros:<br /> Smith is incredibly versatile. Strong arm. Smith is 6'4", and runs close to a 4.6 second 40 yd dash. Smith is the only QB in NCAA history to pass for 8000 yards and run for 4000. When Smith got outside the pocket and was allowed to rollout he was also a very effective passer.<br />Cons:<br />Smith sometimes does not take enough time to let the play develop before taking off and running (Seems a guy named Vick had the same problem early in his NFL career). Also, Smith has had decision making problems in the past trying to fit passes where he needs to throw them away (I think a guy named P. Manning had this problem big time his rookie year.<br />Overall:<br />Smith should be drafted somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Smith gets in the right offensive system he could be a solid starting QB in the NFL.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

a 4.6 is fast for a quarterback but fairly standard for a NFL player, Vick ran something like a 4.2 which is pretty much lightning for a human being.

Are you on crack or how about just saying no to drugs. To say he has a "weak arm" shows you no little about the man or have never seen many of his games at the college level or at training camp. Below is one of many scouting reports which are all basically all about the same in content. He will get a shot to show his skills in Gaily's style of offense. If he doesn't start it won't be because of your notion of having a weak arm. You can take that to the bank.

Pros:

Smith is incredibly versatile. Strong arm. Smith is 6'4", and runs close to a 4.6 second 40 yd dash. Smith is the only QB in NCAA history to pass for 8000 yards and run for 4000. When Smith got outside the pocket and was allowed to rollout he was also a very effective passer.

Cons:

Smith sometimes does not take enough time to let the play develop before taking off and running (Seems a guy named Vick had the same problem early in his NFL career). Also, Smith has had decision making problems in the past trying to fit passes where he needs to throw them away (I think a guy named P. Manning had this problem big time his rookie year.

Overall:

Smith should be drafted somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Smith gets in the right offensive system he could be a solid starting QB in the NFL.

What? Have you ever seen Brad throw the ball? He does have a weak arm by NFL standards and doesn't throw a tight spiral. No where in that scouting report does it say anything about his arm strength. I've seen every start he's ever had as a college QB (maybe I missed 1 or 2 games). My sophmore year at Mizzou was his Freshman year when he single handidly put Mizzou football back on the map. I love Brad Smith and I'm so happy he's a bill but he does not have a good arm and isn't going to be a full time QB in the NFL.

Fitz and the offense will struggle mighty. The only spark of life will be Brad Smith. Thigpen gets a go for 1 game at some point in the year and fails miserably like his predecessor Brohm. Brad Smith then starts because of some sucess with him running the offense in the wildcat. Gailey then finishes the year with Slash v2.0. We then draft Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Maybe this is just gallows humor but I don't understand this obsession with Andrew Luck! Sure he is talented. However a football team is more than one man. What happens if we don't finish dead last? Will the world come to an end as we know it?

Smith was a great player at Mizzou and is a great weapon in the pro's. He also has outstanding character. I think the reason the Bills were able to land him is the Christian angle with Gailey. Smith is a very sincere, very devout Christian. IMO Rex Ryan doesn't seem like a very devout Christian, unless foot fetishism is a secret Christian rite I have not heard about, and Ryan's arrogance was one of the reasons Smith left the Jets.

So for one of the few times we did well in FA recently, we were able to land a very good player because he is Christian, rather than settling for below average, very devout Christian free agents. The very good but not very devout free agents elect to sign with programs dedicated to winning, not dedicated to a superstitious Deity or an arrogant attitude that only devout christian players have character. Which seems more and more like the Bills standard for signing a player.

And what gets me about the Christians, they actually think God gives a crap about who wins football games or cares about football players. I tend to doubt it. Seems to me they are probably guilty of the sins of Pride and Arrogance. Unless...

Twas on a Sunday afternoon and the boys were in the yard

With Jesus playing fullback and Moses playing guard

The Angels in the bandstand let out a mighty yell

As Jesus scored a touchdown to beat the boys from hell.

I noticed the Jags were playing a VERY vanilla defense. They were not showing anything. The Bills offense was out to prove something and they did. I hope Fitz can continue this, but I doubt it when there is actually a pressure scheme and actual game plan in mind.

When the regular season comes around, the Bills o-line will not be able to play one on one match ups.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I noticed the Jags were playing a VERY vanilla defense. They were not showing anything. The Bills offense was out to prove something and they did. I hope Fitz can continue this, but I doubt it when there is actually a pressure scheme and actual game plan in mind.

When the regular season comes around, the Bills o-line will not be able to play one on one match ups.

Brad is the man, but he's not a starting QB.....he's the number #3. He DOES have a weak arm by NFL standards and is not super accurate. All that being said, the guy is an abosolute WEAPON who can play all over the field. He's going to add multiple new dimensions to this team as a whole. Enjoy him for who his is, don't try to make him into someone he's not. The end. :thumbsup:

Smith is elusive and strong. Not super blazing speed like a Vick but still hard to bring down. He also has very good vision. What he lacks is accuracy as a passer and he hasn't shown the ability to execute a game plan for 60 minutes . which is why he's not a legit starter. Basically he's cam newton but tens of millions cheaper

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Fitzpatrick's QB rating for the game was 158.3, the maximum possible. He actually had pass protection tonight. Great accuracy; that pass to Easley was a thing of beauty:

youtube.com/watch?v=b2TEeItfAXs

Actually I thought that was a relatively poor throw. Missing your spot by nearly 2 feet when you're only at the 10 is not exactly a great display of accuracy.

Actually I thought that was a relatively poor throw. Missing your spot by nearly 2 feet when you're only at the 10 is not exactly a great display of accuracy.

I'm not the guy saying Fitz is the future, but the only way that pass gets completed, and probably the only way it doesn't get picked, is to go too high. Fitz was smart and took the 50/50; Easley brought it in.

What? Have you ever seen Brad throw the ball? He does have a weak arm by NFL standards and doesn't throw a tight spiral. No where in that scouting report does it say anything about his arm strength. I've seen every start he's ever had as a college QB (maybe I missed 1 or 2 games). My sophmore year at Mizzou was his Freshman year when he single handidly put Mizzou football back on the map. I love Brad Smith and I'm so happy he's a bill but he does not have a good arm and isn't going to be a full time QB in the NFL.

Where does the Mensa club meet at Missouri?

I'm not the guy saying Fitz is the future, but the only way that pass gets completed, and probably the only way it doesn't get picked, is to go too high. Fitz was smart and took the 50/50; Easley brought it in.

Agreed. Fitz threw it to a spot where only Easley could get it and trusted his WR to make the play. IMO it was a perfect throw.

I think Brad should have a fair shot at being the starter in September. He's that good. I think this will be the year that Fitz gets busted for impersonating a quarterback.

158.3 qb rating the other nite against Jacksonvilles starters...you people need to back slowly away from the crack pipe.