Preseason

jcbillsfan

As Peter King pointed out today the Colts are 4-24 in their last 28 preseason games. My two cents is wny would Chan show anything unique in a meaningless game ?

Did King point out what the Colts are in their last 7 regular seasons?

It means nothing to established winning teams like Indy or the Bills in the early 90's. It does mean something to teams trying to shed a culture of losing. The Redskins have made this preseason a priority in winning a couple games and getting their QB's (Grossman and Beck) some confidence. The Broncos WANTED to win that game Sat night and be physical. They accomplished their goal. I'm not saying the Bills needed to go 4-0 in preseason but they don't want to look like garbage either. I suspect (and hope) they do enough game planning for this game vs. Jacksonville to try to win it...even with backups. It would do well for team morale entering Sept. 11th.

What Gailey says he's doing is evaluating his players in a form of isolation. No game planning, no special help, strictly the individual player's ability. What this should do is allow the coaches to clearly see each player's strengths and weaknesses. From there, the coaches can game plan to maximize strengths and mask weaknesses. It makes sense to me. Of course, if you think the Bills players are just god-awful and the coaches are incompetent, then what you see in the pre-season is what you'll see in the regular season. Me, I think what Gailey's doing is the right approach. Of course, it could turn out that no matter how well you do the right thing, the roster isn't good enough to succeed. We'll find that out in about four to six weeks.

As Peter King pointed out today the Colts are 4-24 in their last 28 preseason games. My two cents is wny would Chan show anything unique in a meaningless game ?

You are 100% correct, wins and losses don't mean squat, but when you offensive line plays like it has, that isn't hiding anything, and it is a big, big problem. You hide trick plays (which he hasn't been?), not the ability to play the game. So with the O-Line, Fitzy and Mckelvin among others stinking the joint up, it makes no difference whether or not it is preseason, it is troublesome. The fact that the FO isn't on the phone looking for O-Line help (and since they haven't addressed one of the NFL's worst lines last year up to this point, I am assuming they aren't), they aren't doing there job.

I think they are setting something up with all that Brad Smith wildcat...run 2 yards into the line of scrimmage stuff. I'm sure Bill Belichick has already broken down exactly what the Bills will do on that play when NE plays us.

It would be different if I just saw a team that was out there going through the motions and not wanting to tip their hand. What I see is an offensive line that is getting physically abused and a QB that can't hit the broad side of a barn. That's what worries me.

I knew this was going to brought up. . .

They also have guys like Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeny, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday etc. . . That dont play in the preseason. The backups play the other teams starters. Of course they are going to lose. Hell the Bills destroyed the backups.

They also have this QB, Peyton Manning. Not sure if you have heard of him, may be the best QB ever to play the game. . . He does not play either. . . (/sarcasm)

Add:

Colts record last 10 years:

115-45. 9 playoff apperances. 1 SB

Bills Record last 10 years:

62-98. 0 plyoff apperances.

Edited by CountDorkula

I think what Chan would want to show which would be unique for recent Bills teams is the ability to compete. Like the O line being able to be effective, the D line showing at least a little domination, DBs being able to cover, offense being to put together some semblance of a drive, etc.

Would he open his playbook in preseason and tip his hand, no (and neither did Denver). Did Chan expect considerably more from his #1's than he got, you bet your ass he did. If you need proof look at the pre-halftime comment he made.