Roughing the Passer

Picking the guy up and slamming him into the ground isn't the proper tackling technique. I am fine with physical play, but that's NOT how you bring a guy down. Not in todays NFL. You can still be physical and make big hits, just don't treat it like WWE wrestling.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking the guy up and slamming him into the ground isn't the proper tackling technique. I am fine with physical play, but that's NOT how you bring a guy down. Not in todays NFL. You can still be physical and make big hits, just don't treat it like WWE wrestling.

Stop being gay, That hit wouldn't get a second thought on a receiver or back and it was not excessive nor did their QB get hurt.

Stop being gay, That hit wouldn't get a second thought on a receiver or back and it was not excessive nor did their QB get hurt.

You do nothing for your argument by name calling, so stop it.

Just because the guy wasn't hurt doesn't mean it's not a bad play. Picking a guy off of his feet and then slamming him into the ground is a penalty. That's why it was called. Get over it. The players have been told this.

He didn't have the ball anymore, and Batten followed through with the tackle "driving him to the ground". It was borderline but I can understand the call according to the rules. The fact that there had already been a few personal fouls against the Broncos meant this one was automatic. I do agree the NFL is getting too soft though. The biggest evidence of that is the new(old) kickoff rules.

I was more surprised there was not personal foul against Rahim Moore for ripping Spillers helmet off after a play...That was before his dirty hit on Jones. I don't like the "defenseless receiver" rule in general but, plays like that are why it is there. Jones has no chance to make that play, Moore was simply looking to injure.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

He didn't have the ball anymore, and Batten followed through with the tackle "driving him to the ground". It was borderline but I can understand the call according to the rules. The fact that there had already been a few personal fouls against the Broncos meant this one was automatic.

I was more surprised there was not personal foul against Rahim Moore for ripping Spillers helmet off after a play...That was before his dirty hit on Jones. I don't like the "defenseless receiver" rule in general but, plays like that are why it is there. Jones has no chance to make that play, Moore was simply looking to injure.

I actually had no problem with the hit on Jones. I thought the guy was trying to make a play on the ball and didn't think he lead with his head. He hit him the his pads. What I was disgusted with was the response of the Bronco's players after it was clear that Jones was hurt.

You do nothing for your argument by name calling, so stop it.

Just because the guy wasn't hurt doesn't mean it's not a bad play. Picking a guy off of his feet and then slamming him into the ground is a penalty. That's why it was called. Get over it. The players have been told this.

Whatever, its still weak which the point of the post, players need to play, it wasn't a hit to the head or with the head so it should be allowed.

Whatever, its still weak which the point of the post, players need to play, it wasn't a hit to the head or with the head so it should be allowed.

Do you recall when it was in the game? I'd like to take another look at it and have the game replay available.

I actually had no problem with the hit on Jones. I thought the guy was trying to make a play on the ball and didn't think he lead with his head. He hit him the his pads. What I was disgusted with was the response of the Bronco's players after it was clear that Jones was hurt.

You need to watch that play again, and turn the volume up. It was straight helmet to helmet, it was loud, you could hear it. What do you think knocked him out? It was also a little late, the ball was out of his hands. He was also going out of bounds. Again, I'm not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule...but that was a dirty hit. It was completely unnecessary and would have had no effect on the play.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You need to watch that play again, and turn the volume up. It was straight helmet to helmet, it was loud, you could hear it. It was also a little late, the ball was out of his hands. He was also going out of bounds. Again, I'm not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule...but that was a dirty hit. It was completely unnecessary and would have had no effect on the play.

:thumbsup:

You need to watch that play again, and turn the volume up. It was straight helmet to helmet, it was loud, you could hear it. What do you think knocked him out? It was also a little late, the ball was out of his hands. He was also going out of bounds. Again, I'm not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule...but that was a dirty hit. It was completely unnecessary and would have had no effect on the play.

As I said with the other, if you recall when in the game it was I'll take another look. I remember thinking that it looked like the defender led with his pads.

As I said with the other, if you recall when in the game it was I'll take another look. I remember thinking that it looked like the defender led with his pads.

It was tough to see the helmet on the live play, but you could hear it. There is a replay that shows it from the other angle.

Late in the second, think it was within 30 seconds of the half.

I found the Donald Jones play around there. It was a huge hit, no denying it, but Jones was making a play for the ball, the defender didn't leave his feet and didn't put his head down. I can't say that he deserved a penalty there. I realize it was a play that took one of the Bills out but the only problem with the play was the Bronco's reaction afterwards.

Frankly it's a good example of how to have a clean hit that is still a big hit :/

EDIT: Just fast forwarded to the other angle replay. It does look like there is facemask to helmet contact. I can see where the penalty came from but I don't think it was intentional. I feel so anti-buffalo saying that but the defender was trying to lead with his shoulder.

Edited by timba

He didn't have the ball anymore, and Batten followed through with the tackle "driving him to the ground". It was borderline but I can understand the call according to the rules. The fact that there had already been a few personal fouls against the Broncos meant this one was automatic. I do agree the NFL is getting too soft though. The biggest evidence of that is the new(old) kickoff rules.

Your right

I put that one squarely on what was some bad officiating that day....they should have thrown the hankie on Moore after ripping CJ's helmet off instead of just letting it go....then maybe Raheem doesnt lauch himself into Jones.....bring his helmet up under Donalds chinstrap and laying him out......

Bad officiating on Saturday

I found the Donald Jones play around there. It was a huge hit, no denying it, but Jones was making a play for the ball, the defender didn't leave his feet and didn't put his head down. I can't say that he deserved a penalty there. I realize it was a play that took one of the Bills out but the only problem with the play was the Bronco's reaction afterwards.

Frankly it's a good example of how to have a clean hit that is still a big hit :/

Timba....look where the safety's helmet is when they collide.....

Timba....look where the safety's helmet is when they collide.....

I think the most telling thing on that hit is where Moore's arms were when he made the hit.

I really need to watch more than the first drive of the game. Hopefully later today. I'm curious about this roughing the passer call now.