Start having some faith

opfball91

So much to respond to...i will keep it brief.

Pessimism is bred in good ole WNY. I moved away to escape it.

And before i get attacked, i realize there are many examples of optimistic peeps in WNY. Not every one is a negative nancy.

Look at deep2evens, perfect example of over reaching to be negative. I don't care who you are, you can say you knew all these busts we have had were gonna be busts, but you'd be wrong, you didn't know. you guessed.

The only thing i don't get is the lumping in of past suckiness into buddy's tenure. Like the wars and the debt were inherited by obama, but they are his now, therefore his fault. new beginnings means optimism, and to me, we seem to have direction for the first time in years.

Ask me at the end of the season.

as long as the same owner is meddling in personnel decisions, you have to question every move that is made. i'll give you that buddy deserves a fair shot though, no doubt.

as for the draft busts - i really don't know what to tell you man. maybin was as obvious a draft bust as any player in YEARS. everyone and their grandma knew haloti ngata was going to be a stud. these are just facts.

lastly, my opinion of the bills has nothing to do with how optimistic/pessimistic i am. the two concepts are completely unrelated. my thinking that the bills are garbage doesn't label me as a pessimist, it just shows i've had a pulse for the past half decade. i refuse to sit here and be like, "yea donald jones will be awesome, merriman will be a pro-bowler, d. bell is our OT answer, spiller will break out, etc.." it's just blind, hopeful, bull ****. give me some concrete improvements in the form of GOOD PLAYERS and WINS. then we can start talking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

realistic rationality is a little phrase i might have to hold on to. just awesome!

i have bridled enthusiasm for this season and look forward to the games. It has been at the least, interesting to watch the goings ons since the 3rd game of last year. They definitely have not sat on their hands.

Go Bills!

lastly, my opinion of the bills has nothing to do with how optimistic/pessimistic i am. the two concepts are completely unrelated. my thinking that the bills are garbage doesn't label me as a pessimist, it just shows i've had a pulse for the past half decade. i refuse to sit here and be like, "yea donald jones will be awesome, merriman will be a pro-bowler, d. bell is our OT answer, spiller will break out, etc.." it's just blind, hopeful, bull ****. give me some concrete improvements in the form of GOOD PLAYERS and WINS. then we can start talking.

exactly. why have blind faith in an organization as consistently incompetent and dysfunctional as the bills? being a fan doesn't mean you should burrow your head in the sand.

the bills have failed miserably year after year after year. it's only logical to wait for evidence to the contrary before proclaiming them a changed team.

fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, we won't get fooled again.

Edited by Dirtbag

as long as the same owner is meddling in personnel decisions, you have to question every move that is made. i'll give you that buddy deserves a fair shot though, no doubt.

as for the draft busts - i really don't know what to tell you man. maybin was as obvious a draft bust as any player in YEARS. everyone and their grandma knew haloti ngata was going to be a stud. these are just facts.

You sure seem to let this affect you a great deal. If you have such a problem with the Bills and every thing they do, leave, no one here will miss you.

You sure seem to let this affect you a great deal. If you have such a problem with the Bills and every thing they do, leave, no one here will miss you.

lol jesus christ.

i should leave because i think we suck? there's a difference between a bandwagoner and a non-koolaid drinker. apparently the difference has become lost on you.

Hello all, I've lurked here for a while, posted occasionally and had some decent activity in the shout box. I've noticed one overwhelming trend on this forum, one of extreme pessimism, glass is half empty type of outlook. Now, while I won't sit here and try to defend some horribly pointless reasoning that there shouldn't be a lot of pessimists here, I will say that I feel its time we start to turn it around. I understand, as all of you do, the Bills have been bad for a very long time, waaaaaaay too long. However I feel there needs to come a point where overwhelming pessimism begins to turn into optimism. This isn't going to be a one day thing because like I've said, we've been bad for a very long time. I personally feel, as I know others do, that this administration and front office is going to take this team places. They seem to have a view of what they want this team to look like and they are slowly and methodically moving towards that. We knew, at least I knew, when Gailey and Nix came into the Bills that this process was going to take a few years till we started to finally see some solid results. At the end of last year you could begin to see what this team could look like a few years down the road and its very exciting. I have a positive outlook for this season (as I always do) and think this is the time we're gonna see some turn around because I just truly don't believe we will be bad forever, I can't. So here's to this season, may we see substantial progress in the year to come, and have some faith in the guys!! GO BILLS!!!

Good post.

There are definitely reasons for people to feel taken and angry by Ralph's team, but in the end it's only football. While I can get pissed and frustrated watching the games, I never try to let a game influence my outlook on life. Some people are just negative and frustrated in general; some are simply trying to get a rise out of people.

Like you, I am very optimistic about the change in management, and the changes that have taken place. Being in the optimistic minority, I believe, with some good luck on the injury front this year, the Bills' could be a turn around team too.

Someone posted a topic about a nickname for the O--maybe "Ryan's Hope" would be fitting...

Go Bills!

so "real" fans just blindly accept every move the organization makes and everyone else should be exiled? i don't understand how "negative" posters are somehow lesser fans.

all of us are devoted to the bills or else we wouldn't be here. all of us want them to do well and succeed. that doesn't mean that they're beyond reproach, especially given their recent history.

Edited by Dirtbag

lol jesus christ.

i should leave because i think we suck? there's a difference between a bandwagoner and a non-koolaid drinker. apparently the difference has become lost on you.

Bandwagoner? I thought that the days of seeing Bills fans called "bandwagoners" had passed and we had a little while until that time came again. Right now, everyone in the NFL is 0-0 and has 16 games to be played. I choose to remain optimistic about this season while I can. I choose to have fun while rooting for the Bills. If you don't, then so be it.

Bandwagoner? I thought that the days of seeing Bills fans called "bandwagoners" had passed and we had a little while until that time came again. Right now, everyone in the NFL is 0-0 and has 16 games to be played. I choose to remain optimistic about this season while I can. I choose to have fun while rooting for the Bills. If you don't, then so be it.

I love you

so "real" fans just blindly accept every move the organization makes and everyone else should be exiled? i don't understand how "negative" posters are somehow lesser fans.

all of us are devoted to the bills or else we wouldn't be here. all of us want them to do well and succeed. that doesn't mean that they're beyond reproach, especially given their recent history.

Yep. That is exactly what I meant.

Devoted means being loyal to the cause, sooooooooo

how can you bad mouth every move but be devout

is this serious? being a bills fan is like loving your drug addicted, alcoholic, criminal child. loyal to the cause no matter what, but not agreeing with decisions..

i'm devoted to my wife, yet i can still recognize her flaws. she's devoted to me, yet she can still recognize my flaws.

you don't think fans should be critical of their teams or be disappointed when they don't meet expectations?

Bam! Some people think they are fans, what they are is depressed

If they are depressed, maybe it is because they are Bills fans and their team has sucked ridiculously for longer than they care to remember?

I'm not sure why some "optimists" insist on starting these threads saying that if you don't think the Bills are going to be good this season, particularly after the last 11 years and no evidence yet of anything being different, you are not a fan.

Faith can be a good thing for a lot of people. Blind faith in something in the face of long standing evidence to the contrary is irrational in my opinion, but anyone is welcome to it. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to think.

i'm devoted to my wife, yet i can still recognize her flaws. she's devoted to me, yet she can still recognize my flaws.

you don't think fans should be critical of their teams or be disappointed when they don't meet expectations?

Well before I got married I let my wife know that the bills will always come first.

Even us optimistic types realize we have flaws, I can tell my wife is putting on a few pounds but I don't say "your fat, you will always be fat!" I just love her anyways!

Well before I got married I let my wife know that the bills will always come first.

Even us optimistic types realize we have flaws, I can tell my wife is putting on a few pounds but I don't say "your fat, you will always be fat!" I just love her anyways!

this whole post is weird as !@#$.

Hello all, I've lurked here for a while, posted occasionally and had some decent activity in the shout box. I've noticed one overwhelming trend on this forum, one of extreme pessimism, glass is half empty type of outlook. Now, while I won't sit here and try to defend some horribly pointless reasoning that there shouldn't be a lot of pessimists here, I will say that I feel its time we start to turn it around. I understand, as all of you do, the Bills have been bad for a very long time, waaaaaaay too long. However I feel there needs to come a point where overwhelming pessimism begins to turn into optimism. This isn't going to be a one day thing because like I've said, we've been bad for a very long time. I personally feel, as I know others do, that this administration and front office is going to take this team places. They seem to have a view of what they want this team to look like and they are slowly and methodically moving towards that. We knew, at least I knew, when Gailey and Nix came into the Bills that this process was going to take a few years till we started to finally see some solid results. At the end of last year you could begin to see what this team could look like a few years down the road and its very exciting. I have a positive outlook for this season (as I always do) and think this is the time we're gonna see some turn around because I just truly don't believe we will be bad forever, I can't. So here's to this season, may we see substantial progress in the year to come, and have some faith in the guys!! GO BILLS!!!

To all the yougsters and newbies telling us old farts to be patient, I admire the positive outlike. I recall those days. :lol:

Ok. I am not sure what you see about this administration that I cannot. I think Buddy Nix is a good college talent evaluator. He is putting all of his eggs into the draft basket. It is still too early to even grade his drafts yet.

Next year Buddy will have to spend more money and we shall see what he does with free agency at that time. So far he has done nothing outside of the draft.

Chan Gailey is a proven excellent Offensive Coach. Jury is still out on him as a head coach though. His decision to swith to 3-4 last year seemed to be a bad one. The Spiller pick? Hmmmm.

I've been watching this team since 1963. I have seen many bad teams, some that were just plain eye watering bad. I have seen a few good teams ('73-75), a few very good teams ('80-81, 98-99) a great team (64-65) and even a great era(88-95). I am patient and loyal with this team. I try to be fair. We all, as Bills die hards, we deserve the right to be cynical every now and then.

Cheers. :beer:

Edited by Bob in STL