Bills, and the AFC East

D521646

Well, I saw both NE games, and the first Miami, and Jets games. My thoughts are that if we want to have a prayer of beating any of them this year, the powers that be better damn well fix the right side of the O-Line, and toot sweet! NE's pass rush last night was impressive, and we better take notice of it. If there was a weakness at all, it was in their secondary, but getting into the secondary requires a couple of seconds for Fitz to size up the field.

So my question to anyone is, are we serious about trying to make the playoffs, or are we really just looking to go 8-8 and build off that? I think we can beat Miami at least once, maybe twice this year, and "maybe" the Jets early, but from what I've seen of NE so far, we haven't got a prayer. I'll take 3-3 out of the AFC East (Who wouldn't) but I fear that even that might be a pipe dream. I've been scanning the schedule looking for ways yo make 8-8, and I think it's very doable, but we're going to need a lot of luck in keeping the boys healthy, and some bounces to go our way if we're going to accomplish it.

Oh and since this is my first thread started, I thought I would give my opinion on Evans and why "I" thought we moved him. Aside from some of the other opinions I've read here, I think that Galley knows that Fitz isn't going to have the ball long enough in his hands this year to get the ball 40, 50 yards down field, and since Evan's was mediocre at best at swinging into the center of the field, he really doesn't fit what I think Galley's plan is. I think Galley ideally wants to be a run first offense, similar to the Bears, and I personally think it's the right move goven the level of development of the young Bills.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

So my question to anyone is, are we serious about trying to make the playoffs, or are we really just looking to go 8-8 and build off that?

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

My thoughts are that 8-8 would be a major step forward for this team and I don't see it happening. I see 5-6 wins.

Congrats on your first post..

I think your right about Evans, Fitz in the first Pre-season game was getting the ball out quick and it could be possible that Evans didn't fit the offense..Time will tell.

As for the AFC East, I seen the NE game last night, and they did look good, but I don't think there D looked any better than our own..But I don't see us beating NE this year..Miami I think we can get one there and sneak one over on the Jets..2-4 in our division splitting w/ Miami and the Jets..I see 6-7 wins for us this year..there are still alot of questions and only time will tell, hopefully our D is as good as we think they are, and our offense plays as good or better than last year and we might just get 8 wins..

I can easily see us going 8-8. If Buffalo goes 8-8 that is a good year. Chan will most likely say it wasn't but Buffalo can't compete with NE or the Jets as of now. I think Buffalo will beat the Jets this year only because Chan is building a winning team, and is not there yet but will be. Our defense alone will be much more improved and that will winn a couple of games. Everyone keeps saying the NFC East will kill us, but I feel differently. The NFC east is a throwing division not a AFC north division which all about the run. That being said, Buffalo will and can compete with those guys because our oline should be able to hold the front for a running game, keeping them off the field and letting them score as much. As for our division, I see 2-4 and of course most likely getting swept by the pats, but we still might get lucky this year. If the Bills happen to get lucky and make the playoffs that will be incredible, so for them to have a good year is going 8-8. I think next year is a playoff year.

Wait next year is 2012, so the Bills will be going undefeated until the end of the world happens in 2012..... You heard it hear first. Just the Buffalo way......

Well, I saw both NE games, and the first Miami, and Jets games. My thoughts are that if we want to have a prayer of beating any of them this year, the powers that be better damn well fix the right side of the O-Line, and toot sweet! NE's pass rush last night was impressive, and we better take notice of it. If there was a weakness at all, it was in their secondary, but getting into the secondary requires a couple of seconds for Fitz to size up the field.

So my question to anyone is, are we serious about trying to make the playoffs, or are we really just looking to go 8-8 and build off that? I think we can beat Miami at least once, maybe twice this year, and "maybe" the Jets early, but from what I've seen of NE so far, we haven't got a prayer. I'll take 3-3 out of the AFC East (Who wouldn't) but I fear that even that might be a pipe dream. I've been scanning the schedule looking for ways yo make 8-8, and I think it's very doable, but we're going to need a lot of luck in keeping the boys healthy, and some bounces to go our way if we're going to accomplish it.

Oh and since this is my first thread started, I thought I would give my opinion on Evans and why "I" thought we moved him. Aside from some of the other opinions I've read here, I think that Galley knows that Fitz isn't going to have the ball long enough in his hands this year to get the ball 40, 50 yards down field, and since Evan's was mediocre at best at swinging into the center of the field, he really doesn't fit what I think Galley's plan is. I think Galley ideally wants to be a run first offense, similar to the Bears, and I personally think it's the right move goven the level of development of the young Bills.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

My Thoughts are that it's going to be another long football season for the Bills. They're just not good enough and Good Ol' Buddy hasn't done crap in FA to help make this team succeed. You gotta fortify your lines in order to win at Football. Unless our OL is just playing lazy because its training camp and Pre-season. We're in for a reality check come Week 1.

My thoughts are that 8-8 would be a major step forward for this team and I don't see it happening. I see 5-6 wins.

If They get 5-6 wins, that would be amazing to me. I see the Bills in teh Andrew Luck sweepstakes

Welcome to the boards! I think your assessment is pretty accurate. The Bills have a rough sched ahead so 8-8 would be pretty impressive considering most "experts" have predicted 5 or 6 wins at best. This team doesn't have the talent for the playoffs yet but they did show a lot of heart last season. Maybe that same style of hard play and the few upgrades that WERE made can relate to more W's on the field. I have my fingers crossed that Fitz will be amazing this season, but I can't expect him to be more than he has ever been. Careful game planning and execution along with some good luck (that has been hard to find for this team) are the keys to success for this squad in the season ahead. We will all know soon enough.

I think you're dead on. The offense that has been on display at camp has been short quick passes. From what I saw at camp - granted I only went a few times - the vast majority of passes attempted were UNDER 10 yards (prior to the catch).

Pats have really added to their team and elevated their game addressing their weakness in power running and vertical passing game on offense and pass rush on defense. They are clearly class of the afc east if not the league. I'm not impressed with jets moves and think they're Vulnerable to being challenged by an improved bills team. Fins I think will struggle with continued issues at qb and loss of Ronnie brown to run their coveted wild cat. I see bills in 3rd place with a shot at challenging jets for 2nd. Pats are simply on a different level.

Predicting wins and losses is difficult for so many reasons, least of which is injuries. If the Bills stay healthy, I think they stand a chance at going 8-8 because their defense is going to be much improved, and that will give the offense more opportunity, and that unit, too, will be better than last year. I think with everyone on offense having one more year under their belts, the recievers are young, but talented, with the TE Chandler looking to give us a good mix of blocking and catching ability - we were competitive the last half of last year and I think we'll be better this year - so, all in all, 8-8 is reachable.

However, if we don't add to our O-line and someone or two go down for any stretch, we might be so incapable of overcoming that that we just collapse. And, if other teams suffer significant injury, then we might gain advantage, too. I think last year showed us that we had enough talent to compete with most teams (Pittsburgh and Baltimore were good examples) - I mean, we can go out, line up, and play with big hearts and almost pull out wins, because we can run hard, block hard, try really hard... but, with some teams like New Orleans and New England, though, we are just so outmatched by coaching and systems, that we don't stand a chance. That is the point where we're not able to pass, yet. And, it is a real question as to whether or not Gailey can get us there, period. The Patriots have beaten us, pummelled us, really, for years, and it isn't because they're so much more talented than us. It is their coaching, their preparation - we can't surprise them, and they seem to know just what our weaknesses are - and if we can't out-coach them, we'll only be able to beat them by pressuring Brady so much that he loses his cool. That, maybe, we can approach this year.

I hope Gailey is smart enough, and his various staffs, to match wits with Ryan and Bellicheck. If he can, then our team is physically, if healthy, capable of competing with any of them.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

With the best QB prospect in 15 years coming out next year, we need to win the Andrew Luck sweepstakes

I think we're looking at 5 to 7 wins, due to in no small part my inherent pessimism. The Bills have been atrocious against the run for the past two years. They addressed this in the draft but we don't know for sure if Dareus can play at the pro level, and we've been burned in the draft a lot lately. So until I see that the Bills have at least an average run defense I can't see them winning more than 7 games.

If we break 8 wins, it'll be a miracle. We are playing a very hard group of teams & have glaring weaknesses that will be exposed again & again. Fitz will have to learn to run left for his life, LOL.

If our defense somehow pulls together & gets super strong, then we might find our way past .500. I just think that we have 5 assured losses to start the season, that in itself leaves 3 games for wins to be found.

Seems as though the faithful think only 5 - 6 wins this year? Hmmm? I'm not so sure that picking games is a wise thing to do. I remember last year in the "Pick-em" pool I play in, (and have played in for 20 years an won 11 times) where we pick each weeks winners, score, and so on, I did terrible last year? It was like, what the !@#$.. I was out of contention by mid season.. It's hard to pick footbal games in the NFL, it really is. That's why I never gave a breakdown of how I thought the Bills would go 8-8, but the reality is that there is enough room there for 8 wins from somewhere expected, and perhaps not in places we would expect.. If anything I do see us beating Miami twice. They look horrible, and all you need to do to beat the Jets is get to Sanchez.. Same can be said for Brady and NE, I just think it'll be harder to do that for 60 minutes, and you NEED to if you're going to beat the Patriots..

The Defense of the Bills is much better, and our secondary is above average.. My only real concern for our team is the right side of the O-line, well heck the entire O-Line to be honest, but it will be a fun ride no matter. I've been Bills fan and a football fan since I was knee high watching CFL games with my dad just coz we needed a fix.. :) I watch every game, not just my team, and I have a pretty good, and objective view of football in general. When I say the Bills could surprise this year I really mean it, especially if they put up a few wins early.. Winning, like losing is contageous, and Galley is the right kind of coach to get his team motivated for either scenario..

Go Bills!

Tim-