atlanta won't have enough money to sign jennings

valle7878

Perhaps unfortunately, but this is just the type of consideration that needs to be made when trying to figure out whether a player will stay put or not and whether he is worth keeping. It will be very interesting to see what the market has to offer Jennings and thus what the Bills will have to pay to keep him.

In addition to teams like the Ravens who have committed top 10 OL dollars to tackles like Ogden, there are also teams like NYG or the Packers who have committed large contracts below the top 10 OL cap hits to LTs like Clifton and Petitgout. When one adds to that number teams which may have an LT opening but have salary cap constraints on the team like large contractual commitments to players like Micheal Vick and Peerless Price. I'm not at all clear what type of market the Bills will be competing in to hang onto Jennings.

Certainly Jennings will be desirable, but other better LTs like Orlando Pace will be on the market and if you are a team with big bucks to spend on an LT that the Bills can't compete with I'd be more interested in Pace than in Jennings.

FA will mean big bucks for Jennings and more money than he has ever seen before, but if some team is willing to offer him top 10 OL money, then I wish him luck and move on. Jennings is good but does not strike me as worth top 10 OL money which the best LTs have been able to get (current franchise cap hit for OL is $7 million and transition hit is $6 million).

It depends on our budget, but i would not be willing to go above the salary that players like Petitgout and Clifton have gotten by hitting the FA market at the right time at LT, and it would not surprise me if he could be had for even less.

If someone has some other idea, to speak credibly they need to not merely assert that Jennings is such and such a quality as a player, but actually identify some competing teams, what their cap avaiabiltiy is and why they are going to devote that budget to Jennings rather than improving themselves in some other area (for example, if I'm AT maybe I let Vick steamroll me into getting him some more protection, but I think that in order for that team to get better they need to invest in their D so they stop teams like the Panthers from sending the game into OT.

I don't think atlanta will sign Jennings.   I know he went to Georgia but if we lose Jennings it's not teh end of the world Jennings always gets hurt.  I think we need a top Lt anyways.   LIKE WALTER JONES FROM SEATTLE OR PACE FROM ST. LOUIS.

168278[/snapback]

The Rams and Seahawks have franchised both Pace and Jones the last two, in essence taken them off the market, and then signed them to a 1 year contract. I'm sure it will be more of the same.

I think the best thing we can do with Jennings is to put a transition tag on him because we all agree he's not worth franchise money. If we have a transition tag available it could allow us to keep Jennings if he's offered a favorable contract by another team it would at least give us a failsafe if if we can't find a replacement. Someone posted a list of 2005 free awhile ago and doing a quick scan didn't really see anyone I felt to be as good as Jennings but will do some fine tune scouting when get the chance. One name I do remember is Bob Whitfield, who has definately seen better days, but could be a guy for depth purposes only and could help be used to help develop a draft choice (sorta like Jim Jeffcoat did for Marcellus Wiley). As let's not forget that Marcus Price is also due to be an UFA. While I wouldn't mind Price back, I see him as nothing more then a career backup.

Two distinct possible short/long temr replacements could be LJ Shelton or Chris Samuels, while not on the list (as recall), both might end up being cap casualities. I think someone mentioned Brad Hopkins a long while ago, who might be a good short term solution and/or mentor like Whitfield.

The Rams and Seahawks have franchised both Pace and Jones the last two, in essence taken them off the market, and then signed them to a 1 year contract. I'm sure it will be more of the same.

I think the best thing we can do with Jennings is to put a transition tag on him because we all agree he's not worth franchise money. If we have a transition tag available it could allow us to keep Jennings if he's offered a favorable contract by another team it would at least give us a failsafe if if we can't find a replacement. Someone posted a list of 2005 free awhile ago and doing a quick scan didn't really see anyone I felt to be as good as Jennings but will do some fine tune scouting when get the chance. One name I do remember is Bob Whitfield, who has definately seen better days, but could be a guy for depth purposes only and could help be used to help develop a draft choice (sorta like Jim Jeffcoat did for Marcellus Wiley). As let's not forget that Marcus Price is also due to be an UFA. While I wouldn't mind Price back, I see him as nothing more then a career backup.

Two distinct possible short/long temr replacements could  be LJ Shelton or Chris Samuels, while not on the list (as recall), both might end up being cap casualities. I think someone mentioned Brad Hopkins a long while ago, who might be a good short term solution and/or mentor like Whitfield.

168295[/snapback]

The Bills dont have a "transition" designation.

I don't think atlanta will sign Jennings.  I know he went to Georgia but if we lose Jennings it's not teh end of the world Jennings always gets hurt.  I think we need a top Lt anyways.  LIKE WALTER JONES FROM SEATTLE OR PACE FROM ST. LOUIS.

168278[/snapback]

NOTE TO POSTER: This is real life, not madden. Trades for franchise players do not happen without cost, and you know neitehr team will give those guys up. Also, with this being real life, you are not the GM, TD is. If something can be done for a top LT you know TD will do it, if it can't be done, he won't. The man didn't teach helen keller to speak now did he?

Guest Guest_valle7878_*

For one Seattle won't have enough money to sign Walter Jones they have Hasselbeck and Alexander to sign you can't franchise them all people.