LB Thaddeus Gibson waived again

Kingfish

Can we evaluate all of our linebackers and get them all healthy before we start going after MORE? I think the O-Linemen are a little bit more in need.

This is yet another example of why context is vitally important. Should Bills fans witnessing the futile efforts of one of the worst defenses in the NFL discuss possible moves that might have helped it get better? Apparently not. It's much better that they stuck to the plan of developing Maybin.

This is yet another example of why context is vitally important. Should Bills fans witnessing the futile efforts of one of the worst defenses in the NFL discuss possible moves that might have helped it get better? Apparently not. It's much better that they stuck to the plan of developing Maybin.

I don't think White, Moats, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard, or even Carrington are as bad as Maybin. How can you even equate my statement to such a situation? "Evaluating" is much different than waiting for two years for a 228lb 4-3 DE to make a miraculous transformation because the prior regime decided to invest half the team (exaggeration) in him. To constantly ask why the Bills haven't signed every FA released by a respectable team regardless of track record and position is bizarre to me.

I don't think White, Moats, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard, or even Carrington are as bad as Maybin. How can you even equate my statement to such a situation? "Evaluating" is much different than waiting for two years for a 228lb 4-3 DE to make a miraculous transformation because the prior regime decided to invest half the team (exaggeration) in him. To constantly ask why the Bills haven't signed every FA released by a respectable team regardless of track record and position is bizarre to me.

I was agreeing with you and talking about the OP. The OP, by virtue of the :lol:, is apparently trying to make fun of a thread from last November in which some people wanted to see the Bills be more active in trying to put 3-4 defenders on the field, and one of those players was Gibson. The context was that this was in November when it was obvious to everyone that the switch to the 3-4 defense was not going well and fell far short of the miracle cure for the Tampa-2 defense that some had predicted in August of last year. The point about Maybin is that it totally undermines the poster's point. Instead of picking up a failed Gibson (who looked the part of a 3-4 defender on paper), the Bills stuck with the Aaron Maybin project. Maybin himself was just cut, so the fact is both were failures and gambling on one or the other wouldn't have mattered much in the long run. Capice?

I was agreeing with you and talking about the OP. The OP, by virtue of the :lol:, is apparently trying to make fun of a thread from last November in which some people wanted to see the Bills be more active in trying to put 3-4 defenders on the field, and one of those players was Gibson. The context was that this was in November when it was obvious to everyone that the switch to the 3-4 defense was not going well and fell far short of the miracle cure for the Tampa-2 defense that some had predicted in August of last year. The point about Maybin is that it totally undermines the poster's point. Instead of picking up a failed Gibson (who looked the part of a 3-4 defender on paper), the Bills stuck with the Aaron Maybin project. Maybin himself was just cut, so the fact is both were failures and gambling on one or the other wouldn't have mattered much in the long run. Capice?

Ah, I see the :lol: now. I thought you were being sarcastic saying that we clearly should have gone after FAs because it would've been better than our constant "development" of players like Maybin. Since that seemed completely unreasonable (given our current situation at LB), your post above makes far more sense to me. :thumbsup:

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Let me ask you: are you a bear? Because it sounds like you've been hibernating all winter and spring, missing out on a draft and FA signings that were massively focused on the defense. Do any of these names ring a bell: Dareus, Aaron Williams, Merriman, Barnett, White, Sheppard, Searcy, Jasper?

Oh, and by the way, they got rid of Maybin. I guess you didn't hear about it. Yeah, they developed him right off the roster.

Obviously, I missed the sarcasim. My bad. Too serious this morning I guess.

Let me ask you: are you a bear? Because it sounds like you've been hibernating all winter and spring, missing out on a draft and FA signings that were massively focused on the defense. Do any of these names ring a bell: Dareus, Aaron Williams, Merriman, Barnett, White, Sheppard, Searcy, Jasper?

Oh, and by the way, they got rid of Maybin. I guess you didn't hear about it. Yeah, they developed him right off the roster.

:rolleyes:

Yes, if only we had picked up a cut twice retread LB we would be a much better team. Buddy must be asleep. Are you serious?

Good thing we took a pass on that James Harrison guy, what a bum. He got cut 4 times from 2 different teams.

Not saying that Thaddeus Gibson is anything special but your logic is flawed.

It's funny, though, that the 49ers cut Gibson shortly after they expressed interest in signing... Aaron Maybin.

From rotoworld

The Bills are expected to claim OLB Thaddeus Gibson off waivers.

Gibson lost his roster spot because the Steelers had to add a defensive lineman with Aaron Smith (tricpes) out. Keeping Gibson would have been a luxury considering how deep the Steelers are at linebacker. Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Nov 1, 9:51 AM

hhhmmmmmm......we liked him in Nov.

The point about Maybin is that it totally undermines the poster's point. Instead of picking up a failed Gibson (who looked the part of a 3-4 defender on paper), the Bills stuck with the Aaron Maybin project. Maybin himself was just cut, so the fact is both were failures and gambling on one or the other wouldn't have mattered much in the long run. Capice?

I don't remember the Gibson drama being framed as a referendum on Maybin or that anyone realistically believed at the time that Maybin could have been cut halfway through his second season. As far as I can tell no first round pick in the last 20 or so year has been cut before the end of his second season just for a lack of production with the only examples of being cut that early were Dimitrius Underwood and Lawrence Phillips-both with serious off the field issues. Had the Bills claimed Gibson it probably would have been McCargo's roster spot and he would have taken practice reps away from Arthur Moats and Antonio Coleman not Maybin.

I don't remember the Gibson drama being framed as a referendum on Maybin or that anyone realistically believed at the time that Maybin could have been cut halfway through his second season. As far as I can tell no first round pick in the last 20 or so year has been cut before the end of his second season just for a lack of production with the only examples of being cut that early were Dimitrius Underwood and Lawrence Phillips-both with serious off the field issues. Had the Bills claimed Gibson it probably would have been McCargo's roster spot and he would have taken practice reps away from Arthur Moats and Antonio Coleman not Maybin.

You missed the point. If they took a chance on Maybin developing into an OLB, then they could've taken a chance on a guy that actually looked the part developing. The reported interest in Gibson was because anybody that watched the Bills knew that their LBs last November were terrible. When the GM says he is "constantly looking to improve the team" and the team obviously needs help at LB (with several DEs struggling), it's not a far fetched idea that they would consider adding a player there. They don't hold a special draft in November for teams to draft the pieces they couldn't acquire in April. As far as stealing reps, it would've been terrible if he had taken reps from Mike Balogun, I know. You can laugh all you want about it, because the Bills LBs were laughably terrible as a group.