Bills-Bears COMPLETE 1st Half Recap

Ralonzo

COMPLETE 1st half review, because Fitzbeardy probably has bloody stumps for fingers:

DRIVE BILLS

===========

Kickoff: Fielded by Easley on the 3. He looks like he's running through molasses. Down at 27.

1st-10 BUF 27: F Jax for 5. Wood buried (tackled) his guy and Pears eliminated Idonije.

2nd-5 BUF 32: Incomplete to Chandler on left sideline. Chandler was well open, they call it a drop, pass a wee bit high.

3rd-5 BUF 32: Slant to Stevie for 8. Nice pitch and catch, no double on Stevie. F Jax with a cut on Peppers to prevent him from jumping for the tip

1st-10 BUF 40: Spiller dumped for -3 as Urbik whiffs badly on Melton.

2nd-13 BUF 37: Bubble screen to Stevie for 2, he tries to play Frogger going back across the field and gets squashed.

3rd-11 BUF 39: Fitz misfires looking for Nelson. Fitz had time as the Bell-Peppers (heh) matchup was won by Malone Jr.

4th-11 BUF 39: Moorman to the CHI 16, 3 yard return by Johnny Knoxville.

DRIVE BEARS

===========

1st-10 CHI 19: End around to Hester for 3. Byrd jumped up to force him wide into McGee.

2nd-8 CHI 21: Dareus comes free thru the middle to disrupt the screen. Cutler with a slow-pitch softball to Forte, Davis stops him for no gain.

3rd-8 CHI 21: Lots of pressure, Cutler takes off for a 10 yard scramble.

1st-10 CHI 31: Taylor off left tackle, nothing doing. Tons of white jerseys include Edwards & Merriman.

2nd-10 CHI 31: Taylor off left tackle again for 4.

3rd-7 CHI 35: Cutler steps up to avoid Merriman and Dareus smashes him for the sack.

4th 13 CHI 29: Punt rolls dead at BUF 29.

DRIVE BILLS

===========

1st-10 BUF 29: Fred bounces left, buries someone with stiff arm, 1st down.

1st-10 BUF 40: Fred up middle, Melton beasts Pears all the way down the line to stop him after 2.

2nd-8 BUF 42: Spiller with a cutback to avoid Peppers, stopped after 5.

3rd-3 BUF 47: Wildcat keeper, Smith off left guard to gain the first down.

1st-10 50: Quick hitter to Stevie for 5, tipped at line and hell of an adjustment.

2nd-5 CHI 45: Fitz gets Spiller on a slant, beats Briggs easily for 10.

1st-10 CHI 35: Jones down right sideline [Penalty] Offensive Interference on Jones.

1st-20 CHI 45: Chandler open again, he gets smoked after 8.

2nd-12 CHI 37: Chicago blitzes, Chandler is the hot read in left flat for 4.

3rd-8 CHI 33: Spread formation. Middle screen to Spiller. Well designed, well blocked, should have been easy first down but Spiller cuts into the only Bear out there.

4th-1 CHI 26: FG Lindell, [bills 3-0 Bears]

DRIVE BEARS

===========

Kickoff: Johnny Knoxville almost takes it to the house, Aaron Williams gets him by the shoe.

1st-10 BUF 29: Hanie in for Cutler. Andre Davis beats his block to trip Taylor for a loss.

2nd-11 BUF 30: Merriman beats the tackle with a bull rush for the sack.

3rd-15 BUF 34: Merriman assaults Hanie a half-step before Kelsay gets there.

4th-18 BUF 37: Punt fair caught at 15 by Searcy.

DRIVE BILLS

===========

1st-10 BUF 15: Thigpen in. New OL in: Howard-Wrotto-Hamburglar-Rinehart-Wang. Rollout dump to Johnny White for 4.

2nd-6 BUF 19: Draw to White for 5 over right guard.

3rd-1 BUF 24: Wildcat to Smith, runs for the right sideline, stiffarms a DB for the first.

1st-10 BUF 26: Pocket collapsing, Pigpen cant step up with Wang in his lap, pass is weak late and short.

2nd-10 BUF 26: Handoff to White, Wrotton completely whiffs his block. Loss of 3.

3rd-12 BUF 23: Thigpen airmails for Brad Smith, who has the first easily if the throw is there.

4th-12 BUF 23: Moorman punt is low to the CHI 35, Knoxville takes it on the run for another 13. Poor punt.

DRIVE BEARS

===========

1st-10 CHI 48: Barber off left tackle for 11. Huge gap between Carrington and Edwards, McLovin doesn't come close to bringing him down with an arm tackle.

1st-10 BUF 41: Barber again, no gain as Kyle penetrates and drops him.

2nd-10 BUF 41: Draw to Barber, huge holds on Dareus and Kyle to spring him. Byrd grabs a foot.

1st-10 BUF 30: Knoxville beats McLovin on a slant. Why should 2011 be different?

1st-10 BUF 18: Barber off left tackle, Coleman forces him into Davis for a short gain.

2nd-8 BUF 16: Barber off left tackle. Florence does a duck and cover while Barber trucks him, Coleman misses. Wilson got caught up inside.

1st-Goal BUF 6: Hanie rollout right, Dareus bears down, Hanie gets rid of it incomplete.

2nd-Goal BUF 6: Barber dive into the middle snuffed by Spencer Johnson.

3rd-Goal BUF 5: Hanie can't find anyone, and scrambles up the middle for the TD. Big gap in there. [bUF 3-6 CHI]

PAT: Converted. [bUF 3-7 CHI]

DRIVE BILLS

===========

Kickoff: Taken away from Davis by Easley at the 5. He lopes out to about the 25 before someone swats that loaf of bread away. Recovered by the Bears. However... [Penalty] Bear lined up > 5 yards on kickoff. Rekick.

Kickoff: From the CHI 25 now. Squib kick takes a left turn and ALMOST makes it out of bounds near the 25, where the Bills would take over at midfield I believe. However, Easley decides to field it and returns it to the 29. That was really stupid. Easley is not helping himself.

1st-10 BUF 29: Handoff to White, stuffed. No push at all from the right side of the line.

2nd-10 BUF 29: Wildcat with Smith. He tries to throw a slant. That was painful. Woefully short and behind receiver, incomplete.

3rd-10 BUF 29: Pigpen again, rush comes up the middle. He scrambles left, makes a moves, barely gets the first.

1st-10 BUF 39: Wildcat, David Martin motions to lead student body left and Smith run for another first.

1st-10 CHI 48: Pigpen hands to White, no push from the left side that time. Short gain.

2nd-8 CHI 46: Pigpen slant left to Davis, who drops it. Pass was behind him, but coulda been caught.

3rd-8 CHI 46: Good time for Pigpen this time, and he buzzes one into Roosevelt between 3 Bears.

1st-10 CHI 35: Inside handoff to White, good hole in the middle. White doesn't really show a good burst there, that coulda been a big play, but the LB gets him.

2nd-4 CHI 29: White off RT, slips down but not before a first down. [Penalty] Holding on... some Bill.

2nd-14 CHI 39: Pigpen drops back and has to scramble up the middle. Everyone on the OL looked like they got beat, but mostly Wang.

3rd-13 CHI 38: Was supposed to be a screen, I think, but Cordaro Howard gets abused with a speed rush, and his man chases Pigpen OB for a technical sack.

4th-17 CHI 42: Moorman kicks, and it lands 4 yards in the EZ for a touchback. Anothe poor kick. [Penalty] Holding Bears. 2 Minute Warning.

DRIVE BEARS

===========

1st-10 CHI 10: Barber slashes right for 7 before Moats gets to him. TO Bills.

2nd-3 CHI 17: Bills run a corner blitz from the left, Hanie beats it by dumping to Bennett in the left flat for 8.

1st-10 CHI 25: Corner or Chris White blows a coverage on Desmond Clark but get lucky as the pass is tipped at the line by Spencer Johnson.

2nd-10 CHI 25: Pressure comes from everywhere, and Spencer Johnson gets the sack. Johnson is dominating the 2s. TO Bills.

3rd-15 CHI 20: Hanie rolls right for his life, and throws it away. The infamous play where Marion Barber throws Maybin down like a dirty smock.

4th-15 CHI 20: Punt downed at BUF 44. [Penalty] Ineligible, enforced at end of kick.

DRIVE BILLS

===========

1st-10 BUF 49: Pigpen in shotgun, airmails Davis incomplete intermediate right.

2nd-10 BUF 49: Shotgun, Pigpen throws it at Huggins feet on a slant, incomplete. Another poor throw.

3rd-10 BUF 49: More shotgun. Wrotton and Howard both get beat immediately, but since Wrotton is at G, his man Okoye's path is closer for the sack. TO Bears.

4th-19 BUF 40: [Penalty] False start Reggie Corner

4th-24 BUF 35: Moorman line drives one to the 10, and Earl Bennett returns it 34 yards.

DRIVE BEARS

===========

1st-10 CHI 44: Hanie dumps to Clark. To his credit Maybin almost got there. TO Bears.

1st-10 BUF 48: Hanie goes deep for Bennett, he gets undercut by Chris White. [Penalty] Holding on... Spencer Johnson? Maybin got handled easily on this one.

1st-10 BUF 43: Hanie way overthrows his man deep left, Scott on coverage.

2nd-10 BUF 43: FG Attempt, wide right.

[End of half]

I'm not gonna lie, this bothers me about spiller:

3rd-8 CHI 33: Spread formation. Middle screen to Spiller. Well designed, well blocked, should have been easy first down but Spiller cuts into the only Bear out there.

Hopefully these types of mistakes get worked out soon.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

On the Bills' 4th drive, you said:

2nd-8 CHI 46: Pigpen slant left to Davis, who drops it. Pass was behind him, but coulda been caught.

3rd-8 CHI 46: Good time for Pigpen this time, and he buzzes one into Roosevelt between 3 Bears.

According to NFL.com's gamebook, that was Brad Smith both times.

I like that even better than the SB commercial recap; probably cuz I never see any of the commercials.Nice work.

A couple comments:

2nd-8 CHI 21: Dareus comes free thru the middle to disrupt the screen. Cutler with a slow-pitch softball to Forte, Davis stops him for no gain.

I've always been a big fan of Andra Davis and loved the signing, but was a little disappointed at how much slower he looked last year. He did not look slow on this play.

1st-10 CHI 31: Taylor off left tackle, nothing doing. Tons of white jerseys include Edwards & Merriman.

Dwan looks good already on this one. Expecting a big year out of him.

3rd-7 CHI 35: Cutler steps up to avoid Merriman and Dareus smashes him for the sack.

Dareus beat the G off the snap, then beat the C in the backfield and still had the time to close on Cutler. Props to the secondary but a major wow moment seeing the big man's agility.

1st-10 BUF 40: Fred up middle, Melton beasts Pears all the way down the line to stop him after 2

We badly need another OT.

1st-10 50: Quick hitter to Stevie for 5, tipped at line and hell of an adjustment.

Great focus for a guy who really seems to have concentration problems at times.

1st-10 CHI 35: Jones down right sideline [Penalty] Offensive Interference on Jones.

They've been flagging DB's for cutting off routes for a couple years now; this was a bizarre call.

A little more patience from Spiller and Urbik probably finishes the block on Urlacher. He's too quick for his own good sometimes.

1st-Goal BUF 6: Hanie rollout right, Dareus bears down, Hanie gets rid of it incomplete.

Another wow moment watching the big man drag with the TE and then disengage at exactly the right moment to close on the QB. This boy is a ballplayer.

Kickoff: Taken away from Davis by Easley at the 5. He lopes out to about the 25 before someone swats that loaf of bread away. Recovered by the Bears. However... [Penalty] Bear lined up > 5 yards on kickoff. Rekick.

Kickoff: From the CHI 25 now. Squib kick takes a left turn and ALMOST makes it out of bounds near the 25, where the Bills would take over at midfield I believe. However, Easley decides to field it and returns it to the 29. That was really stupid. Easley is not helping himself.

That should be the end of the Easley as KR experiment.

2nd-4 CHI 29: White off RT, slips down but not before a first down.

wtf was up with that field? Glad nobody got hurt in that slop.

4th-19 BUF 40: [Penalty] False start Reggie Corner

Can we just dump the pigeon already?

1st-10 BUF 48: Hanie goes deep for Bennett, he gets undercut by Chris White. [Penalty] Holding on... Spencer Johnson? Maybin got handled easily on this one.

Watching him run around the LOS is just bizarre.

On the Bills' 4th drive, you said:

I think 'Zo is right and the gamebook is mistaken

1st-10 BUF 26: Pocket collapsing' date=' Pigpen cant step up with Wang in his lap, pass is weak late and short.[/quote']

I really missed on this. It should have continued with: See what happens with no Levitre?

As for errors, sure, completely possible. I can barely keep right and left straight. And I'm usually drunk. But I should have been able to tell the black guy with the muddy jersey from the white guy with the clean one. Let's let DVR be the judge :)

That was Pigpen.

That also was Pigpen.

Who you gonna believe, NFL.com or my lyin' eyes? :D

Edited by Ralonzo

1st-10 BUF 48: Hanie goes deep for Bennett, he gets undercut by Chris White. [Penalty] Holding on... Spencer Johnson? Maybin got handled easily on this one.[/b]

Watching him run around the LOS is just bizarre.

If this were the Planet Of The Dogs, here is what

rushing the passer.

Ralonzo,

I don't know who you are (even though you've been here forever) but thank you very much for this fine game summary.

Your succinct comments are very accurate and I wouldn't even think of correcting your work.

Your use of nicknames is awesome (my faves are Hamburglar for Hangartner and Wrotten for Wrotto).

Great job and thanks again!

That should be the end of the Easley as KR experiment.

You know, just watched 1st half again to see what I missed. I'm wondering about the Easley as WR experiment now. Either that or the #81 jersey is contaminated. He absolutely half-assed his routes on no less than 3 plays where I assume he was not the primary receiver. I don't care if your hammy hurts, or if your job is decoy. Do your friggin' job at this level. My God, how hard would I try for a NFL minimum wage paycheck? I'd punt Rudy across a lake.

I don't know who you are (even though you've been here forever) but thank you very much for this fine game summary.

Thanks kindly... been suffering on here since before the "Immaculate Deception" (which the rest of the world knows as Home Run Throwup)... nominally Fezmid or (now) Fitzbeardy do a better job, so I just do commercials at the Super Bowl. But thanks. I've been reading all of Fitzbeardys camp reports, he's absolutely essential to the site. I'm just glad I can contribute anything. And of course, bump my own thread :D

Edited by Ralonzo

Big thanks for doing this (and to Fitzbeardy too!). Absolutely my favorite thing about TSW is reading notes from people who break things down beyond the ****ty media coverage ("Merriman was great!" Yeah, he was, but people in Peru can see that.) either by taking the time to review the game play-by-play as you did or by paying attention to aspects of the game that many of us may not the see first time around (e.g., Simon, Bill in NYC, etc.). Love this stuff and my appreciation for and understanding of the game goes way up because of the many (well, handful of) wallers who actually know what they are talking about - or who at least see things from a non-predigested perspective.