A lot of people think the Bills stink

And it will never get better unless we sign every free agent in the NFL. After all players you draft or never heard of can't be any good.

Here's something to ponder. Every look at websites or magazines that predict the upcoming season? They post their predicted standings for the new season, and it ALWAYS looks EXACTLY like the season before? Is that coincidence, or is that these experts base everything on what already happened. Which means no one ever predicts crap. No one pays enough attention to know who is going to really get better.

PTR

Boy, there is so much utterly wrong with this post that it is hard to even take it seriously. This has nothing to do with free agent signings, but since you brought them up, they do tend to help teams win Super Bowls. To think otherwise is foolish.

Also, to say that websites and magazines predictions are ALWAYS EXACTLY like the season before is ridiculous. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? People who follow the NFL closely monitor the goings-on of each team, and use that information along with upcoming strength of schedule to hypothesize which teams figure to have good and bad records.

Use your brain for a second - perhaps the reason why most magazines and websites favor the Packers to be among the top teams in the NFL is because they were the best team last year, and are returning pretty much their entire team plus are getting back a slew of prominent injured players. The reason why most favor the Bills to again be at the bottom of the league is because they took a terrible team and made small changes that most figure will be insignificant.

Bookies in Las Vegas have put the Bills at +15,000 (150:1) to win Super Bowl XLVI. They are the longest shot, along with Carolina. The Bengals are the third-lowest at +10,000 (100:1) followed by the Redskins (90:1) and Seahawks (80:1).

Hey, they are just regurgitating the standings from last year, right? The Seahawks won their division. How does that compute? You do realize that they have a vested interest in objectively ranking this, and aren't just being anti-Buffalo because of some agenda, right?

We get that you love the Bills and that they can do no wrong, PTR. But seriously man, think a little bit here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone here is old enough to remember the 1988 season, no one saw the Bills getting within one game of the Super Bowl. In fact I vividly recall every publication and TV show picking us for last place. Fact is no one sees the freight train coming until it runs them over. Gailey must be dancing a jig over the Bills being overlooked. We want that. No better place for us to be.

FYI:

1986 Bills 4-12

1987 Bills 7-8

1988 Bills 12-4

PTR

I couldn't agree anymore. I think the Bills will surprise many people. I keep saying we almost went 7-9 and that's with Trent starting, and our defense so young and new systems installed. Chan has the team believing in themselves and with Dave W. assisting the D, and our picks, we will be much more improved. Fitz should be much better and the chemistry will be stronger. Yes the offensive line might not be as solid as most like, but everyone said the samething about GB. No I don't feel we are the Packers, but I think we smack a few teams in the mouth this year including the jets and pats. I can us going 8-8 without a doubt.

I follow ESPN NFL countdown on Facebook and I am pretty blown away at how many people think the Bills are going to be the worst team in the NFL this year. I am hopeful that we could challenge for a wild card spot but realistically I think this team is still growing and probably will win about 7 games. Do people think the Bills stink because of an anti-Buffalo bias or is it the multiple cheap shots from lazy NFL punditry? Who is the worst team in the league this year? I don't think any of the AFC east teams are in the bottom 5. I personally think that the 49ers, Bengals, and Carolina will be the bottom three.

https://www.facebook.com/ESPNCountdown/posts/116229525142090

Bottom line- WIN!!!!!!!!!!! They haven't done that in over a decade. We don't see them diving in to free agency to upgrade the team do we... Looks like the same old Bills....

Boy, there is so much utterly wrong with this post that it is hard to even take it seriously. This has nothing to do with free agent signings, but since you brought them up, they do tend to help teams win Super Bowls. To think otherwise is foolish.

Also, to say that websites and magazines predictions are ALWAYS EXACTLY like the season before is ridiculous. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? People who follow the NFL closely monitor the goings-on of each team, and use that information along with upcoming strength of schedule to hypothesize which teams figure to have good and bad records.

Use your brain for a second - perhaps the reason why most magazines and websites favor the Packers to be among the top teams in the NFL is because they were the best team last year, and are returning pretty much their entire team plus are getting back a slew of prominent injured players. The reason why most favor the Bills to again be at the bottom of the league is because they took a terrible team and made small changes that most figure will be insignificant.

Bookies in Las Vegas have put the Bills at +15,000 (150:1) to win Super Bowl XLVI. They are the longest shot, along with Carolina. The Bengals are the third-lowest at +10,000 (100:1) followed by the Redskins (90:1) and Seahawks (80:1).

Hey, they are just regurgitating the standings from last year, right? The Seahawks won their division. How does that compute? You do realize that they have a vested interest in objectively ranking this, and aren't just being anti-Buffalo because of some agenda, right?

We get that you love the Bills and that they can do no wrong, PTR. But seriously man, think a little bit here.

Pick up a copy of Athlon or any pre-season mag and you'll find they're "predictions" to be exactly what the 2010 standings were.

PTR

If anyone here is old enough to remember the 1988 season, no one saw the Bills getting within one game of the Super Bowl. In fact I vividly recall every publication and TV show picking us for last place. Fact is no one sees the freight train coming until it runs them over. Gailey must be dancing a jig over the Bills being overlooked. We want that. No better place for us to be.

PTR

Well, I'm old enough, and I vividly recall that the Bills were actually thought of as a team on the upswing, not universally picked to be in last place in '88.

In 1987, Bruce was first team All-Pro, Conlan was defensive ROTY and 2nd team All-Pro, Bennett was a dynamic addition and I believe runner-up to Conlan for ROTY. Plus the defense had solid players like Bentley, Smerlas, and Talley. The pieces were in place for a dominant defense, which they were in '88.

Offensively, Kelly made his first Pro Bowl in '87. Admittedly the Bills' running game was suspect, with Ronnie Harmon proving he couldn't be an every-down back. Drafting Thomas in '88 was a risk, considering his previous knee injury.

Going into '88, the team had alot of potential, and there was concern whether they could turn the corner and become a playoff team. So, while going 12-4 was somewhat of a surprise, it was not wholly unexpected. And in no way were they universally picked to be last in the division.

A better analogy would be the '99 Rams, who everyone had picked last, especially after Trent Green got hurt in preseason, or the '06 Saints, coming off their disastrous post-Katrina '05 season.

That was the '89 season. We lost the first round playoff game to Cleveland. In '88 we went all the way to the AFC title game and lost to Cincinnati. Hard to believe at one time the Bills and Bengals were the class of the AFC.

PTR

Great. Thanx for clearing that up for me. Yeah, how the worm turns w/ Cincy & the Bills. Once again, evidence that all roads, good or bad, goes back to the owner.

RWR

Pick up a copy of Athlon or any pre-season mag and you'll find they're "predictions" to be exactly what the 2010 standings were.

PTR

Amazing, isn't it with these so called "predictions" that these magazines print? they've been doing than for decades. I remember back in the 80's, thirty years ago when I would be starving for some Bills info. by the summer time and would buy some of these mags, and the predictions always were the finishing stangings from the previous year. What a joke. So only after a couple of years of that, I stopped wasting my money buying those mags. Have never done it since, either.

<snip>

Please tell me you didn't just claim that a 7-9 football team isn't getting enough respect from Vegas with regard to Super Bowl odds.

I follow ESPN NFL countdown on Facebook and I am pretty blown away at how many people think the Bills are going to be the worst team in the NFL this year. I am hopeful that we could challenge for a wild card spot but realistically I think this team is still growing and probably will win about 7 games. Do people think the Bills stink because of an anti-Buffalo bias or is it the multiple cheap shots from lazy NFL punditry? Who is the worst team in the league this year? I don't think any of the AFC east teams are in the bottom 5. I personally think that the 49ers, Bengals, and Carolina will be the bottom three.

https://www.facebook.com/ESPNCountdown/posts/116229525142090

Unlike last season, I haven't heard many so called "experts" say the Bills were going to be "the" worst team in the league like a whole bunch of them said this time last year. The most common team mentioned as the worst is the Redskins, in fact in Vegas their over/under I beleive is just 2 wins. I would guess that when it all settles down and the 2011 season is in the books, we will finish somewhere in the same area as last year, maybe a spot or two higher in the draft, around the 3-6th overall pick range. I do think Carolina will be below us, as will Washington. Cincinnati maybe a spot below us or a spot ahead of us like last year. I think the 49ers will win about 2 more games then we do. Denver could very well be below us again this year too.

Edited by billsfreak